Forums

Help › Forums

Which Putter to purchase?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 3 2014 1:04 AM (7 replies)
  • SharpCat
    4 Posts
    Wed, Jul 2 2014 9:13 AM

Time for me to upgrade from the Daytona which I've been using for years and is the only putter I've used outside the starter.  Looking at the Odyssey Versa #7 and #1 putters.  The #7 has better precision while the #1 has better forgiveness, balance (note sure what the means in relation to this game), and slower meter speed.  Not factoring in price of the club.  Any suggestions?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 2 2014 9:22 AM

SharpCat:
    balance (note sure what the means in relation to this game)

That is a most important, often overlooked attribute. Balance in a putter goes to the tendency of a putt to wander off line. More balance = better roll to the cup.

Imagine putting with a balsa wood putter. Light as a feather and difficult to keep from being deflected by the ball. Compare that to a well balanced putter where all you have to do is hold on as it swings an arc through the ball.

I have always thought the Versa was a Rossa on roids that WGT put out to lure Rossa owners (just like you) away from one of the most solid putters in the game. I use the #1 which I switched to from the 92 Ghost because of the increase in the balance attribute. Fixed the 8-12 foot headaches for me.  :-)

• SharpCat
    4 Posts
    Wed, Jul 2 2014 9:41 AM

Thank you very much for the replay.  Yes, the Versa caught my attention quickly when I was looking into the shop.  Very similar to the Rossa in terms of feel.  Same distance increments and a tad slower meter speed.  So little to no adjustments would be needed as a player.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 2 2014 10:53 AM

SharpCat:
    So little to no adjustments would be needed as a player.  

Exactly and what I think you will notice most right off the bat is the impression that the ball rolls a lot smoother and doesn't come to an abrupt stop when it gets to where its going-more like a glide to the stop.  :-)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jul 2 2014 11:20 AM

Found this ages ago and kept it.  Lost the link but not bothered find it again as I believe this to be 100% same:

All basically said looking v quick but a good way to think of it IMO.  Way I think of it a 15 foot twisting putt can be weighed better with better balance, and  especially so with meter set deep. Note the comment on forgiveness v roll too.  Got to try them out to be real sure any one it suits YOU though IMO:)

EDIT: You already have / just bought  the L70 Versa???  Can't see you doing better than that at L89.  Anything above it is real fine lines, and very individual...

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jul 2 2014 1:06 PM

Jimbog1964:

EDIT: You already have / just bought  the L70 Versa???  Can't see you doing better than that at L89.  Anything above it is real fine lines, and very individual...

So true....

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jul 2 2014 1:07 PM

Jimbog1964:

So true....

• ScottHope
    10,130 Posts
    Thu, Jul 3 2014 1:04 AM

Jimbog1964:
    ~Lost the link but not bothered~

Here's the lost link you're not bothered about Jim.

RSS