Forums

Help › Forums

Losing forgiveness? Please: I need good advices

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 27 2017 6:45 AM (44 replies)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 12:41 AM

Just as regards distance control and how balance affects it and on a ding I did a short experiment a good while back, on a flat area of a green at Beth, to see what this balance thing was about.  Heck maybe I could dig out the vids, but anyway:

I took the then top level Nike putter and the L90 something (think from memory) Versa.

Just looking for balance, way I see it working here, I set the scales to a deep one they both had.  I then went 25' from the hole and best I could replicated power, so as to stop at 25'.  What I saw was the grouping with the Nike being not quite as good as the Versa grouping.

Those findings obviously pointed that with any break the more constant velocity will win out overall, and that in certain circumstances the balance rating becomes noticeably important..........My observations and I tried to replicate everything as exact I could.

Now what difference that all makes in the real virtual world with a half decent ADP is not much, but it's there to consider for what it is.  Personally I never really looked past the L70 Versa as just liked it.  

My 1 putts are not real top notch but I never looked to artificially enhance with easy comps either.  Also just for the discreet experiment I don't see it as important, and people can take from it what they will.......Overall, especially with scales deep, the better balance will be the most likely to ride breaks true, and over any distance certainly something to consider - Way I see it.  

As I said earlier knowing your own personal putter and backing yourself with that knowledge is real important.  I also accept that as regards putting especially it really is the Indian and not the latest arrow...................

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 8:31 AM

jayw4862:
    It was available to you, too. And, on top of that, you had a 4 year head start on me, which translates to ????

The hell it was. What was out in 2013 took 4 years in the making so you had to deal with inferior equipment that made GIRS and putting a serious challenge. Try BPB from the back tees with starter equipment if you want a taste of what it was like. 

You never had to deal with this and as a result, stats are completely meaningless. 

jayw4862:
    Anyway, I'm done. The OP asked a question about forgiveness, and now the thread is, like almost every thread in these forums, derailed. 

Only because you got a case of the azz and went on the offensive when asked a simple question. It's OK to be wrong, like you are about the balance.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 10:03 AM

YankeeJim:
    What was out in 2013 took 4 years in the making so you had to deal with inferior equipment that made GIRS and putting a serious challenge.

jayw4862:
    I can find 10, 20, 30 or more folks who were around 7-8 years ago, and didn't have the equipment available to them at the time, yet they excel at this game...big time...and they have superb putting skills

BTW..When I started, I used starter gear until Legend. I did buy the WGT cheap balls (10 credits, I think). The newest course was Merion, and I think it was the Open and I played that course countless times (using starter equipment), trying to figure how to reach the fairways, much less get to the greens. 

When I found the stats page/pop-up, I started keeping track of them (Jan or Feb of 2014). My GIR was below 30%, one putt was below 30% (even though my approaches were mostly chips and pitches), FIR was 60%. I had over 1,000 RR's at the time, too. I played this game for hours and hours when I first started. 

That's also when I bought some irons and a driver. 1st set was G10's.

I learned real quick that the forum was the worst place for game-play advice. The best players avoid the forums like the plague. Run down the top 10-20-50 money leaders on any given month/year...how many main forum posts, concerning game-play-not bugs, have they made during that month/year? Probably count 'em on one hand. 

So, with that in mind, I befriended a few top players, and asked my questions directly. I got good answers and advice.

I had sent you a friend request. Life's too short for petty sh*t. Figured if you accepted, I'd shoot a message, and squash this petty sh!t. I still stand by my original 1st post (like I said, it was a direct copy/paste from one of the very elite, top players, from a question I asked about forgiveness in the putters just 3 days prior to the OP's post).

Glad you didn't get the request, or turned it down. I don't feel so bad, now. 

OK...now "I'm done", maybe.

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 11:09 AM

Hi

Ok, so when I answered the initial post I realised this might be a source of great amusement to some (Ken, Phil etc).

For the defence..

Hilversum 53ft slow green

and I must admit, I can't explain this one. Pretty certain it was downhill though.

Bethpage 15th hole, 36ft birdie putt

I rest my case.

Cheers!

Rich.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 11:10 AM

jayw4862:

I learned real quick that the forum was the worst place for game-play advice. The best players avoid the forums like the plague. Run down the top 10-20-50 money leaders on any given month/year...how many main forum posts, concerning game-play-not bugs, have they made during that month/year? Probably count 'em on one hand. 

I guess I have to ask you, if you feel the way you stated, why were you passing along information in the forum?  I'm not trying to be ugly or start something up, but I would guess that you were trying to help the original poster.

The regulars who answer questions (we all know who they are) are doing the same thing.  I'm not a great player, and I'll never be one of those top money leaders you talk about.  But I try to pass along tips that will help others, especially newer players.

Probably the only exception are those few conspiracy theorists (you know who I mean) that come out of the woodwork at times.  They wear a person down after a while and then answers sometimes get creative, to say the least.

When searching i found this link from 2014 from a Mod posted in 2010.  Perhaps this will explain it better according to WGT.  Scroll down to the 5th post to see what i mean: 

244158.aspx

Hope this helps everyone have a better understanding.

phred952

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 11:17 AM

jayw4862:
    Glad you didn't get the request, or turned it down. I don't feel so bad, now.

Didn't get it, don't want one. If you can't have a civil discussion here without beating your chest about how awesome you are I can't be bothered.

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 11:54 AM

phred952:

The regulars who answer questions (we all know who they are) are doing the same thing.  I'm not a great player, and I'll never be one of those top money leaders you talk about.  But I try to pass along tips that will help others, especially newer players.

+1

Hi phred

My point exactly, and  I'm pretty sure those top money earners don't really need my advice on putting anyway! LOL

Cheers!

Rich

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 12:04 PM

Exactly Rich.  And FWIW, most times I can't putt either.  Or so it seems lately.

C ya Mate.

Jeff

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 12:26 PM

whooshdangit:

Hi

Ok, so when I answered the initial post I realised this might be a source of great amusement to some (Ken, Phil etc).

For the defence..

Hilversum 53ft slow green

and I must admit, I can't explain this one. Pretty certain it was downhill though.

Bethpage 15th hole, 36ft birdie putt

I rest my case.

Cheers!

Rich.

I take It all back Rich, I said you made one putt once, It's actually two! ;)

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 12:35 PM

jayw4862:

Pretty simple, really.

Forgiveness means if you miss the ding it is likely to start closer to your intended aim line.

Given that WGT have never really been able to explain what balance is, just that it is a linking factor between precision and forgiveness, a theory is this:

Precision is not only how closely to your aim a dinged putt goes, but is also the degree of predictability that a missed ding goes a given amount off line.

In a way, this makes precision an opposition to forgiveness, because along with high forgiveness increasing the chance of it going more towards your original aim line with a miss, high precision is making it go off line in proportion to how much you miss the ding.

So I think balance is some linking factor in the equations that decreases the precision's opposition to forgiveness, ie. the higher the balance the more precision AND forgiveness you can have in tandem.

Got it?

This makes an insane amount of sense. 

I still use your putting method from that video with the aim points that relate to the putting box. Helped my putting a ton, not that it doesn't still need work. 

RSS