Nike Gear till March ..! Well Maybe !

Wed, May 17 2017 10:23 AM (64 replies)
  • JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2017 3:53 PM

PhilEStein:

YankeeJim:

JFidanza:
    And if people think that a game released almost a decade ago hasn't had more advanced games come along then they should come out from under their rock. 

Like what?

Casting statements are fine but until I see proof absolute I shall stay under my rock.

'The most realistic golf game' without fades or draws (per WGT) is fallacious on its face which is proof provided by your beloved WGT themselves.  

But if you grab your credit card, again , and close your eyes real hard then maybe I can see where you're coming from.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2017 4:36 PM

YankeeJim:

JFidanza:
    And if people think that a game released almost a decade ago hasn't had more advanced games come along then they should come out from under their rock. 

Like what?

Yes, but as YJ asked, like what? Please cite an example.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2017 6:51 PM

JFidanza:

'The most realistic golf game' without fades or draws (per WGT) is fallacious on its face which is proof provided by your beloved WGT themselves.  

Even without those options, the game can still be the most realistic game online. To say something is the "most" of anything is not the same thing as saying it's perfect or that it is not lacking anything. 

Regardless, as others have asked, what golf game (currently available online) is more realistic?  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2017 5:48 AM

Robert1893:
    Regardless, as others have asked, what golf game (currently available online) is more realistic?

There isn't one and he knows it. Just a peek at the stats will tell you there's more to the statement than what's on the surface. TBH, WGT could add those 2 shots he complains are missing (which they aren't but that another thread) and it wouldn't help him.

This game may be lacking in some areas of shot setup but a real golfer can navigate the layouts using draw/fade thinking and figuring out how to make them happen. The game realism allows for that, unlike anything else out there.  :-)

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2017 6:52 AM

@YankeeJim

On all counts, I agree.  

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2017 8:11 AM

"The game realism allows for that, unlike anything else out there."

lmfao.... There isn't anything even remotely 'realistic' about this game. This is an arcade web-based 'golf-like' game made to generate a huge revenue stream. 

That's not a nasty slam against the developers, given the platform they chose to work with for this game they've done a great job. Not the platform many would have used. Money/cost would have been a big factor, Flash development is far cheaper than working with say Unity 4/5. That does though lends itself to many limitations with repsect to building in 'realism' .... Flash is great for many media driven projects - complex gaming isn't one of them

This game has so many glitches and issues that do take away from those trying to play the game 'like golf', you'll be constantly frustrated trying to do so. Aiming for fringe for a softer landing and rollout on a nasty pin placement will often result in the ball rocketing 45ft away at mach 3 perfect example. That just doesn't happen irl, ever, but it's the game. 

Wind? Not even worth mentioning anymore.

Game is what it is, irritating a lot of the time, but as a 'web browser based golf game' it is the best out there, I agree, but only because no one has bothered with creating one for golfers. This game was developed as an aggresive revenue generating model, not catering to golfers looking for a 'realistic' game.

Realistic PC golf game? You have to buy and install and have one hell of a powerful PC to play that, but if you want to be in control of your shots, play wind, obstacles, water, rough etc... That's what you do. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2017 9:03 AM

dedBuNNy:
    This game has so many glitches and issues that do take away from those trying to play the game 'like golf', you'll be constantly frustrated trying to do so

Speak for yourself, it works for me. Maybe take a look at the expectations and leave the gamer attitude on the sideline. Throw in a little imagination and the experience is quite realistic for what it is.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2017 9:37 AM

dedBuNNy:
    but only because no one has bothered with creating one for golfers.

Why do you suppose that is? 

dedBuNNy:
    This game was developed as an aggresive revenue generating model, not catering to golfers looking for a 'realistic' game.

If it's so aggressive, why can a person play the game, upgrade their equipment, and purchase the more expensive balls without actually spending any money? Yes, one has to invest some time in doing surveys or watching videos. But the fact that those options are provided suggests that the company is less aggressive in generating revenue than they might be.

Since this past March, I've tracked how many credits I've spent on equipment. It's over 60,000 credits. This past year, I didn't have to purchase a single credit. And, as an aside, I was able to watch the those videos while completing other tasks and complete the surveys while I was watching TV or simply take a break from my work. 

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2017 9:46 AM

The naysayers dichotomy. Those who have been here for years but vilify the game yet continue to play it. Almost a paradox.

I know if I had this professed opinion I would have long been out of the door. Perhaps the mundanities of their everyday lives can be given a kick-start trying to elicit a lively debate on the forums.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2017 11:26 AM

I've enjoyed many aspects of this game for approx. 15 months and was a WGT/Twitch pioneer, as I've stream games with mags, icon and I've even had Yancy (just a common man) as a guest while streaming on Twitch (using C3 call in feature, now since removed) playing w/ a struggling meter with a maxed out CPU and it is a great pastime as a social arena. 

I've demonstrated 'multitwitching' options, using programs to enhance streaming like telestrators/chalkboards, graphic overlays, sound options and voice-chat.

Unfortunately, the WGT integration with Twitch seemed to fall on its face which is too bad as the Twitch juggernaut is still peaking and it could bring the game to a larger community level, enhancing the involvement and profits.

Since some upgrades it seems that disconnects are very common in MP games and, as Andy would say, all the time 'jumping thru hoops' can be tedious.

So, if I upgrade from this laptop and if the livegamer credits work for me and my friends aren't disconnected on the 2nd hole I can certainly promote playing this game again.

But the basic line was 'most realistic golf game on the web / online' but there is a reason why it does not say 'most realistic golf game in the world'. 

The HD pics are layered over a graphic grid (a graphic matrix just like the other games without the HD pics) and as some great players had suggested there are discrepancies and drawbacks with this process. e.g. incorrect mapping, esp around the hole!  

Being browser based the game, as a long time player in this forum has also mentioned, the mechanics are limited compared to console based games. But WGT is great because many friends can play on their browsers (notwithstanding disconnects and 'jumping thru hoops' to optimize the meter etc.)

With respect to the game and I believe the TOS mentioning other games is not desired by WGT nor would many people want to learn a new game these days, but those of us who've been playing all sorts of golf games for 29 years know this isn't the only game in town. If the people want to find it, they will take the time to do it themselves. 

If others enjoy playing, as I did, by all means, enjoy the game to your heart's content.

RSS