Help › Forums

I'm kind of upset at WGT false advertising

Sat, Jan 7 2017 2:30 PM (66 replies)
  • dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2017 3:28 PM

pmm711:

dedBuNNy:
    I'd have been in total shock to actually see the Nike gear removed on the timetable and in the manner they said it was going to.

Yo Bunny...it's because of this...

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/nike-exiting-golf-club-business-to-focus-on-footwear-apparel

Oh ya, I'm familiar with them getting out of clubs etc... What I meant was, I don't believe there's anything even resembling an exit order or such from Nike directing wgt to pull or discontinue using the Nike brand here... Totally spun in order to panic players into buying 'before it's too late'. 

I bought the 100's at the lower level, but I'd actually wish I'd bought the 97's now for the meter. 

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2017 5:09 PM

dedBuNNy:
    I don't believe there's anything even resembling an exit order or such from Nike directing wgt to pull or discontinue using the Nike brand here...
    Their call "Buy in November!" was cheap marketing IMHO. But I do believe in an exit, and we've seen it here before.

Callaway has renamed their balls at least twice, and at the same time they exchanged the balls in the Pro Shop. Same with Nike balls IIRC.

Ping took their 64° Gorge wedge from the market, and it disappeared here promptly. I assume the same for their Rapture clubs.

Now, when a whole brand is pulled, there's more impact but the same reason: No more avertising money.

Alas, against the rumour which is being spread, I do believe that everybody's bag will stay intact, you have what you have, no external changes.

• ct690911
    7,202 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2017 6:19 PM

alanti:

WGTicon:
    wgtuniverse just really really likes me and I like them just as much:)

OK I am tad confused Icon, possibly a tad worried - you refer to wgtuniverse as a them.....nor as her/him......

Or it could be a more than one person.....or even am animated thing like am automated reply .......see why I am worried.

And more importantly, does DB know how you feel about another mod/mods/thing? Office romances always end up badly :))

May I suggest you get out more often, feel the sunshine and smell the.......daisies....it will do the world of good for you :))

Yeah..it sounds a bit odd...mind you, Canucks never did understand the San Fran subculture. In Canada, extra maple syrup on waffles is about as risque as we get.:)

ct

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2017 7:02 PM

krskfr:
    Why do you think throughout November, WGT had pop-up screens whenever we logged on that said "Buy Nike eqiupment 5 levels sooner, before they leave the pro-shop" then they gave discounts on Nike irons and Drivers during that month? All indications was that it was to be removed from the proshop.

That's why I sent them an email and asked. They admitted that they didn't have a specific end date for the clubs or balls.

Now, I'm surprised they're still available here in January. But I was not surprised that they didn't go away at the end of November. The way I look at it is that I benefitted from the extension. I was able to purchase the Level 95 Nike driver in December when I leveled up, and I've been able to use the ball I like all this time.

I don't feel as if I've been lied to or deceived. I felt as if they gave the best information they had at the time. In other words, I don't think there was any deliberate deception going on. I simply think their situation changed after they made the announcement.  

As someone else has already commented, I don't get what all the fuss is about.  

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2017 7:04 PM

krskfr:
    guess i got hopped up over nothing.

Nah...WGT got you, and tons more, "hopped up" with deceptive posts and ads. 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2017 7:09 PM

The only way they "got you" is if you bought a club you otherwise wouldn't have bought -- and didn't need.

The promotion helped us get clubs five levels early -- and the driver and vapor irons are terrific. I fail to see who might be a loser in all this.

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2017 7:21 PM

K7JBQ:
    The only way they "got you" is if you bought a club you otherwise wouldn't have bought -- and didn't need.

For most part, that's exactly correct. 

But there is one way WGT may have "got" some people. At some point in November, I remember someone posted that they were purchasing XP Boosts to earn more XPs at a faster rate so that the could ensure getting to the levels they need to purchase the Nike equipment before it was pulled from the pro shop. To the extent that people spent credits on XP Boosts just to level up, WGT got them.

In fact, at one point, I thought of buying some Boosts. But I thought, "The heck with it. Either I'll get to the next level and get the driver I want or I wont. It's just a driver. And more than likely, they'll replace it with something comparable. And if they don't, what's the big deal?"

So, I didn't purchase any XP Boost products. But, clearly, there were people who did. They have a bit of right to complain because WGT "got" them. 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2017 7:36 PM

Robert, good point. I've never used "boosts," so never considered that aspect.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2017 7:43 PM

The OP's post is about balls.

Sure it helped people get the clubs/irons a few levels early. It's the fact that WGT plainly stated that said clubs/irons/balls would soon not be available, and people either stocked up (as I saw a pop-up suggest) or they done everything under the sun to get to the level needed, based upon that false advertising.

They've done drop-down promos many times in the past. They'll do level-drop specials again in the future, I'm sure. 

K (the OP) jumped the gun, but it's not 100% his fault. WGT had a hand in it. Plain and simple.

I'm not anti-WGT, either. I enjoy this game. Made some really good friends here, but I've lost interest in it over the last year or so, but I'll always come back (unless they boot me) and play. I'll just never have that "can't wait to play some WGT golf" feeling again.

BTW..they did get me...twice...with the BB 3wd and then the Nike 3wd...neither plays as advertised ;-)

Tried to review them, but of course it didn't go through. Go figure.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2017 9:04 PM

I don't have a problem with promo sales being extended anymore than I do with best to buy now and hurry while stocks last..............High street or here same IMO.

Come say march 31 my expectation:

RSS