Forums

Help › Forums

WGT and TOPGOLF are now one!

Fri, Feb 26 2016 5:53 PM (212 replies)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 12:32 PM

Interesting news...and I was partially right in the other thread, effectively it has been sold, the irony is to a driving range company (all those threads pleading for a virtual one).

Only time will tell of whether this will be a good thing or not, and being dependent on a parent company means you are at the mercy of their vision.

No real vision has been mapped and all I see is Topgolf expansion, not necessarily WGT apart from one new course sometime in the future.

Perhaps I am just sceptical as from experience in buyouts, it is easy to buy a profitable company to develop the bigger picture and you do not have the acquisitioned company best interests at heart,

Even take the Baseball release, it sucked WGT money from it and development dried up here.

Positive news is baby or not, Chad has had little vision in further growth or no longer had the skills to grow the company after the initial start up phase so new blood may take this game to the next level.

One question though, as Topgolf is expanding in the US and the UK, does this mean international development and will this run into getting some international courses?

Until that stage, can I suggest you drop the "World" from the title. We are only international players playing a US game and paying in US dollars.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 12:37 PM

Been out late with my friends to play bowling...loud music, light effects, crunchy waitresses, etc...yup great fun.

Driving range with the same concept of gathering together with all the fun stuff but using WGT courses in the background and playing competitions too. It sound like great fun, must admit.

Whatever has happened with the merging only WGT and TopGolf knows it. Business are business, it should be good for WGT indeed, grats :))

To be quiet honest I do not believe pc players will be important to WGT in the future. With the merging, virtual reality & the smart phones feature (where the big money is) will be taking all the attention, besides TopGolf concept is only in the Us & the UK....long way to go to reach other countries, especially the underdeveloped ones.

As many of the old members....I hate playing WGT with my phone, those 5" screens are not fun at all.

Well, I hope good things happen HERE : )))

Eric 

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 12:44 PM

bigdaddie1:

So Mr. WGT

Do we really want to have our 14,000,000 members dump more money on virtual equipment and golf balls, so Top Golf can build more clubs?

Why would anyone want to pay $40.00 and up to dump golf balls off a second or third floor balcony at dart targets for virtual points?

Plus the costs of those fabulous dinning room dinners and drinks. I will go to my local driving range and belt a bucket of balls at predetermined yardage flags for $5.00. I will know how far my ball goes without the aid of an implanted micro chip. And the beers are only $3.00 a pop.

We are going to feed a company that will be non existent in the near future, and face price increases to send them on to bankruptcy.

Aside from your impending wealth from said sale ( merger ), what do we, the WGT community receive in exchange for this sale?

+1

Theme golf is a big no no to me, i like my balls being smacked about in the open air!

Do folk use these places......mmmmm i would not.

Bubbs

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 1:13 PM

WGTdbloshoe:

bigdaddie1:
    Do we really want to have our 14,000,000 members dump more money on virtual equipment and golf balls, so Top Golf can build more clubs?

On the flip side anyone who goes to a Topgolf facility is putting money in the game as well.  So isn't that a good thing?  I would say so :)

- WGTdbloshoe

Lots of blue sky corporate spiel shoe.  Your job, and lets face it not being behind it at this stage would be unusual for encumbents, well, unless they were leaving anyway:)

Wish you all well, and hope for the best.......In order to keep it up beat I strongly suggest they do some real talking and actioning this side soon.  WGT sold out lock stock and both barrels, and it's just this end I personally care about.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 1:16 PM

no more beemer dealers, straight to Bentley 

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 1:23 PM

Never could understand the need for a driving range? Have you ever went and mapped your clubs on a course with very low wind, then use them numbers even on the same course  in a real game only to find out they was way off.

How will this driving range be any different.

Its just another money (credit) grabber do you think for one min. its going to be free.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 1:37 PM

Woodoworkery:

Have you ever went and mapped your clubs on a course with very low wind, then use them numbers even on the same course  in a real game only to find out they was way off.

Bingo!   I just last night went through 5 L81 nike balls trying to map them out since I decided to try them over the L48's.  Took down all dinged shots just looking at Carry distance for now at different spin settings.

Even managed to get a decent hole to map them,  very flat, 0-2 mph wind in a neutral direction.   Just to find those numbers not even close in a real round LOL.   

Have come to the conclusion finally that mulligans during a practice round isn't quite the same as a ranked round.  Back to mapping in a ranked round and hitting the ball back and forth instead of the double hit on ball mulligans.

Last I'd ever trust is a driving range being any different.  

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 1:47 PM

hpurey:

Woodoworkery:

Have you ever went and mapped your clubs on a course with very low wind, then use them numbers even on the same course  in a real game only to find out they was way off.

Bingo!   I just last night went through 5 L81 nike balls trying to map them out since I decided to try them over the L48's.  Took down all dinged shots just looking at Carry distance for now at different spin settings.

Even managed to get a decent hole to map them,  very flat, 0-2 mph wind in a neutral direction.   Just to find those numbers not even close in a real round LOL.   

Have come to the conclusion finally that mulligans during a practice round isn't quite the same as a ranked round.  Back to mapping in a ranked round and hitting the ball back and forth instead of the double hit on ball mulligans.

Last I'd ever trust is a driving range being any different.  

I just had a similar discussion. I think mapping at 0-2 wind is not as effective, since deviation code may have larger effect, where a 10-12 side wind, may counter act some of it.

I also rarely hit right at the hole, my goal is if i miss to land on the preferred side, where a 8-12fter is much easier than a 6fter from a bad side

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 1:55 PM

WGTicon:
    I just had a similar discussion. I think mapping at 0-2 wind is not as effective, since deviation code may have larger effect, where a 10-12 side wind, may counter act some of it.

In my case, I was only mapping carry distance, not so much worried about accuracy of where it landed.   May as well do away with the mulligans if you don't get accurate results regardless of wind speed/direction.   Why spend all the wasted hits on balls if it's just a waste of time.   In other words, I just wasted about 5 Nikes.   Back to the cheaper balls for now then.  ;-)

• spaceghost88
    1,624 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 2:09 PM

Thank You for the update MisterWGT and db,

Any growth in the WGT  franchise is positive for the growth and improvement of the game as long as the focus on improvement remains intact for the original product / baby that got us this far.

Thank You WGT and those who have stayed and kicked in to get us here we all look forward to the improvements and growth of our fun game and community.

I will check to see if we have a TopGolf  facility  around Orlando.

It has been great funSmiley I have met some great people here!

Smiley DA GHOST N CREW AT GDBN CCSmiley

RSS