Forums

Help › Forums

WGT and TOPGOLF are now one!

Fri, Feb 26 2016 5:53 PM (212 replies)
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 3:27 PM

From what I grasped in the webcast (not much), it looked like Topgolf were more interested in how the WGT 'game engine' could be utilised at their golf ranges, saying the two 'technologies' were already 80% compatible.           <wry smile> 

Other than us maybe getting a virtual driving range (which possibly will be android/apple only?) this may have very little effect on what we see in here at all.

Being part of a larger golf company  could mean more resources for the game and(keeping the PGA and US Open tie ins) will possibly give WGT more clout when  they negotiate  with golf clubs (Augusta-yes please) they want to add to the game.

I'm just guessin' though, who knows? We all wish them well in this venture I'm sure.

Sometimes I'm an optimist, so I hope for improvement and progress in the game we all play.

I'm also a realist and cynic at times, so I hope that the browser game at least still exists this time next year.

How about a free sleeve of Topgolf logo balls* for all your players, as a show of good faith?

* with the specs of a decent ball, level 33 cally standard would be acceptable.  ;)

Live long and prosper.

• GRANVISTAGOLFER
    304 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 4:00 PM

Congratulations, WGT.......

As I see it, and I'm not very bright, we have a very realistic golf site that soon will be competing with the Mario arcade golf. Same WGT problems, no fixes in site, and lots more $$$$$$$ for WGT.

No courses, no new hole locations, no equipment, just a big splash for the money maker.

Where's that new site I keep getting messages from on FB? Time to look into it for real. WINNINGPUTT.COM

Congratulations, WGT........

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 4:59 PM

So Topgolf now owns WGT, and they kept the staff on to run it....sooooo, this is great for the founders and investors, they got their cash back! Now how exactly does this improve the game again?

Top golf already has what they wanted for their end so I don't see them giving the stamp of approval for huge outlay of cash

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 5:38 PM

I hope TOPGOLF  comes   to Canada..       This news will   most likely  end up on the front page of  the National Enq   .................................                    Frapp

• ArgyleScott
    1,267 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 7:22 PM

It would have to be under a dome or be seasonal, right?

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 7:25 PM

Is WGT profitable, and is that why Topgolf acquired them? Is Topgolf committed to keeping the product vibrant and viable? Or are they simply interested in intellectual property rights? Has WGT been in a holding pattern pending the acquisition, and is that the reason virtually no bugs have been fixed in 6 months or more? We'll have our answers soon enough.

• xxxhogheadxxx
    949 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 8:23 PM

Will def check out when in Vegas.

Soon to be in San Diego, CA?  :)

• jjjj035
    15 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 8:40 PM

Well, I've been playing WGT for about 6mo. The core game is great, but there's plenty of concerns looking at the history.   Bug fixes and new course intro. seem to always have been ridiculously slow, as does any real innovation. Many silly ideas have been rolled out, well documented on this forum. This suggests to me  a mom-and-pop operation.    Nothing against WGT for cashing in - seems like they deserve it.       For WGT users, though, I see nothing good at all. While this is hardly big business, corporate mergers are nearly always bad for customers (either worse service or higher costs or usually both).  TopGolf looks sort of faddish to me.  Time will tell. Optimists hope that 'more 'resources'  will mean faster addition of new courses or more people fixing bugs and more employees on customer service.    Don't hold your breath.                                                                  

• rfgraham1
    2,739 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 8:41 PM

Not sure how Top Golf's experience would compare to the golf simulator I tried out at the Turkish Airlines lounge, Istanbul last year but that was a great game with full courses and a real bag of clubs. The score I hit shall remain confidential though lol.

Rob

• rfgraham1
    2,739 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2016 8:49 PM

MisterWGT:

Greetings fellow WGTers!  It's been an exciting few weeks and many of you have been asking, "Where’s MisterWGT?"  Well I am thrilled to say that I, along with all the staff at WGT, are now part of the Topgolf family!  

Naturally this raises a number of questions… so let me take a moment to answer.

Wait! What?! Who is Topgolf?

First let me say this… Topgolf has built something quite special.  Imagine one of the nicest driving ranges you’ve ever seen with 3 stories of hitting bays, targets and sensors that track each of your shots, great food & tons of drinks… All being experienced by you with your closest friends, co-workers or family.  That's what Topgolf has created, and they've built over 20 of them to-date across the U.S. and UK (with a new facility opening almost every month!)

Put simply, Topgolf is not a historic country club with massive dues just to walk in the door.  It's a place for everyone.  It’s a place to laugh, enjoy and most importantly… a place to PLAY!

This is what I've always wanted WGT to be as well.  A "place" where anyone in the world can go to socialize, play and enjoy this amazing sport that has spanned centuries.  So we decided to merge our goals, our companies, and to redefine the world of golf for the next millennium!

Ok… what does this mean for WGT?

As some of you might know, this company has been my baby (quite literally as my 2nd child was born the weekend YuChiang and I founded the company).  Over these last 10 years, the team we've assembled has done so much to help turn what was merely an idea into a 14-million player reality.  Thus it was incredibly important to see WGT continue to flourish & grow. Topgolf also recognizes this and combined we are dedicated to adding new features, new content and courses.  Our multi-year commitment with the USGA is going strong and we’ll continue running the Virtual U.S. Open.  In fact, we are already underway with pre-production of Erin Hills.  And although I cannot reveal all our future product plans, what I can say is that we are working on a Topgolf driving range experience for mobile as I type this post.  

So to be clear… WGT is not going away and we are doubling down to make it stronger than ever!   

And if you still don’t believe me, be sure to check out our joint press release from the PGA Show.

Till then, I highly recommend learning a bit more about Topgolf: topgolf.com

A few video overviews:

Skills Optional, Fun Required

TopGolf The Colony Star-Studded Grand Opening Party

There's tons more I'd love to share, but in time.  I must sincerely thank the entire player community for taking a chance with a company who was looking up at the sports/gaming mountain and thinking, "Yeah… we can top this!"  Without you, we'd still be at the bottom staring at the summit.  Also many thanks to Icon, Tibbets (remember him?!), WGTAlex (remember her?), Nivlac, BolloxInBruges, mrcaddie, mrenn29… and who could forget Yancy?!

Lastly, if any of you have been to a Topgolf venue, please share your impressions with the community -- and – let us know what you liked about the experience & how we can recreate it in WGT!

Thank you all again!  

- MisterWGT

Perhaps now that you are part of Top Golf you might persuade them to add Belfast, N. Ireland to their list of future ventures. There is a superb entertainment complex, the SSE Arena located in the Titanic Quarter with lots of room for more great entertainment venues in the vicinity.

Rob

RSS