Forums

Help › Forums

New Callaway Balls

Tue, Feb 1 2011 1:46 PM (130 replies)
  • Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 4:43 PM

Nice that WGT brings more realism into the game, now a ball here cost the same as in the shop I have around the corner. Maybe, in few years time, they even allow us to go and pick up the ball that bounces into a little bush and disappears into void.

I think I shall build and extension to this game which picks up and sell Lake Balls. I will be a millionaire before anyone can say 'ding'.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 4:51 PM

Soulcatcher:
    My point is, no matter what system WGT puts in place people will complain.

Absolutely, So what is the point of the Legend ball now???  WGT said they brought it out to help Legends level the playing field a tad and now it's been outclassed by a ball open to everyone.

I think the problem is WGT's consistent inconsistency... LOL

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 5:35 PM

True Soul, but in real life, people have different abilities.  I can buy Bubba Watson's driver, but i can't hit it nearly as far.  If the progressing levels doesn't possess some sort of ability gain, then the only thing left is to limit the clubs.

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 5:55 PM

Mem11:

Soulcatcher:
    My point is, no matter what system WGT puts in place people will complain.

Absolutely, So what is the point of the Legend ball now???  WGT said they brought it out to help Legends level the playing field a tad and now it's been outclassed by a ball open to everyone.

I think the problem is WGT's consistent inconsistency... LOL

Your absolutely right Jeremy; damned if you do,damned if you don't.

M'11...sorry my friend can't agree with you on the level the playing field for Legends. Just do a little research on "which" tier has the highest win percentage. It's not in-depth, the past three months top 20-30 monthly leaders and the last couple of weeks RG's is all you'll need to check.

Am I envious of the Legend tier? Not in the least. I'll just keep my TM (aka sandbagger) status thank-you.     

"Wgt's consistent inconsistency"?...more like inconsistently inconsistent.

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 5:57 PM

Just tried the new Callaway balls... you can put some serious backspin on these puppies.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 6:51 PM

oneputtdavid:
    M'11...sorry my friend can't agree with you on the level the playing field for Legends.

That was WGT's take, whether I agree with it or not, your disagreement is with them.  I'll stick with consistently inconsistent ;-)

oneputtdavid:
    It's not in-depth, the past three months top 20-30 monthly leaders and the last couple of weeks RG's is all you'll need to check.

You are indeed correct, The best of the best are Legends, no doubt there.  Also, my unscientific observation seem to show more Legends play RG's then any other Tier, so yes Legends will always be the top Money winners. 

I have no problem with TM's shooting low, I'd just like to be able to compete with them a little more evenly.  I'd like to see them bumped up a little sooner or when playing in multi tier events have everyone shoot from the same tees, since we all have access to the same equipment. 

For the record I was made a Legend on the day of the change with a 64.05 average(I'm not alone) and it's a little disconcerting to see TM's at 61.5 with levels over 80.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 7:02 PM

jcs89:

True Soul, but in real life, people have different abilities.  I can buy Bubba Watson's driver, but i can't hit it nearly as far.  If the progressing levels doesn't possess some sort of ability gain, then the only thing left is to limit the clubs.

I totally agree with you. I wasn't trying to say what is right and what is wrong, just pointing out that WGT is always going to make someone unhappy.

On the up side. They do try new things and if things aren't working, they try something else.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 7:20 PM

oneputtdavid:
    M'11...sorry my friend can't agree with you on the level the playing field for Legends. Just do a little research on "which" tier has the highest win percentage. It's not in-depth, the past three months top 20-30 monthly leaders and the last couple of weeks RG's is all you'll need to check.

Yeah Dave, you're right there, but it's really only a handful of us Legends who have the ability to shoot scores low enough to win against average to good TMs.  90% of the folks in the Legend tier woke up Sept 1 to realize they got hosed.  Most of them I know have too much integrity to start another account so they're stuck in no man's land.

IMO, WGT probably isn't too concerned if the middle of the pack and worse Legends stop playing Ready Gos.  They represent a minuscule percentage of players compared to TM and Masters so WGT will probably make more money if those Legends stop playing Ready Gos and many more players from other tiers jump in the fire.

• golfer342
    132 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 7:39 PM

So what does this have to  do wjth the new balls? These new balls have brought the "FUN" back to the game for me and they last a long time. When they run out I will buy some more....because they are fun to play. No other reason is necassary

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 7:47 PM

'Legend' should be a honorary status and not a punishment. A 'Legend' should have the right to enter Legend tournaments that is played from the black/gold tee, but they should normally play from the blue teeing ground.

"Black/Gold tee markers are usually reserved for touring professionals in official tournaments. Most municipal courses aren't equipped with this set of tees as very few public courses will hold professional events. Only the best players in the world play from these tees."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teeing_ground

"Touring Professionals" they say. Might that be a Tour Pro?

WGT have their tiers all wrong. First of all it is obviously too easy to become a Tour Pro but above all: Tour Pro's are the top level players that plays the professional tours. Tiger Woods does not have a tee of his own 30 yds back just because he is a legend.

I guess it is too easy to become a Legend as well. Or the automatic system that made people legends when WGT introduced that tier was not smart enough because there is a lot of Legends in this game who's name most players have never heard of.

I think the smartest quick fix for WGT would be to offer all "default" Legends to step back to become Tour Masters and work themselves up to Legends from there. If they can. Most people should not be able to.

Next fix would be that, as I previously mentioned, let the Legends and the Masters all play from blue teeing ground but set up "Legends Only" tournaments with gold tee, big prizes and good on site coverage (so that we mortals learn the names of the Legends). Prizes so big that everyone want to become a Legend. WGT would earn a lot of money on that; the Legends would stay, buy more equipment, and those who are not Legends would buy more stuff hoping it will help them to step into the sunshine and the big money tournaments.

RSS