Forums

Help › Forums

New Callaway Balls

Tue, Feb 1 2011 1:46 PM (130 replies)
  • jcs89
    172 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 9:07 AM

I agree with YJ. The feel is what will keep me from buying them.  I am early enough on the click with out any help!

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 9:27 AM

jakestanfill7:

Mixed bag for me here.  Lasted 53 holes which was nice but had some funky outcomes on shots.  Half BS shots dinged coming up 10 yds short while full BS shots actually flying farther than they do with no spin.  Slightest meter miss with any backspin resulted in 9-12 yds short where legend ball would be more like 3-5.  Did have some shots check up well and go the distance you'd think after accounting for the added spin though.  Worth a try I guess but just not for me.

Got a laugh when I submitted review in Pro Shop and was told it would post after a moderator reviewed it.  Guess you'd better praise it.

Think I'll stick with the 60 Legend balls in my bag for my time remaining here.

Doesn't surprise me Jake. Every since the legends balls have came out the precision has gotten worse as they added length. I've said this from the start of those series of balls, but they keep coming out with more and more. Honestly think there are some bugs in the first series of Legend balls and have gotten carried along with the next ones,  similar to the 8 irons or was it 7, anyhow...

To put it simple more backspin and/or length equals less precision, esp on mishits. Not sure that is my design but is the way I see it.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 9:50 AM

In comparison, these balls are like twice as much as Pro v's? New car caviar full star daydream think I'll buy me a football team MONEY it's a gas. JB        p.s. that was for you gazz

• paddysim2010
    124 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 9:55 AM

moderate this wgt fcukerz, ye robbing shower of shitterz only tryn to take as much cash off us as ye can,fix the bugs,i just dinged the last 2 shots at wolf creek  wit hardly no wind and the two balls, both legend balls went straight inda drink,,is that yer little bug to make people go buy more,,cant call any1 out,lets call wgt out lol,fuckerz,yup........PS,first person ta call out my spelling mistakes can go jump ina lake n drown lol,n take dem fuckerz wit ya 

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 11:23 AM

golfer342:
    The Callaway ball have twice the durability as the G12 - SD2

Not quite - GI2-SD2(Legend Ball) has 1.5 Dots of Durability.  The New Callaway Tour i(s) has 2.5 Dots of Durability.  That's equates to a 67% increase. 

All things being equal, that would mean the Callaway Tour i(s) should cost 250.5 Credits(150 x 1.67) for the durability to be the same, which it does.  In terms of durability there should be no difference - Actual results may vary. 

You do get some extra feel and spin for upgrading.  I guess that might make it worthwhile for some - for me...  I don't think so.  Of course these balls are now open to everyone, so what little compensation Legends got to deal with the much longer tee shot, is now gone - Thanks Guys.

• racoondad
    322 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 11:45 AM

Mem11:

Not quite - GI2-SD2(Legend Ball) has 1.5 Dots of Durability.  The New Callaway Tour i(s) has 2.5 Dots of Durability.  That's equates to a 67% increase. 

I have serious doubt about the Durability. 2.5 dots may not mean 2.5 times more hits than a 1 dot ball. This may not be accurate, but I counted 90 something hits for a 1 dot SD ball and only around 110 or so hits for 1.5 dot legend ball. Again, I'm not good at counting, and may be completely wrong. :)

Wgticon, could you please tell us exactly how many hits each dot means?

Or, someone good at book keeping please track the number of hits and post it here. Any shot except putt counts as 1 hit. According to wgt, the durability meter turns red when it reaches 25%. So one can just count how many hits after it's red, and then multiply by 4.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 11:48 AM

golfer342:

The Callaway ball have twice the durability as the G12 - SD2 so I guess they last twice as long....but they cost twice as much . So it seems to be a better ball for the same cost (I'm guessing)

Not quite twice, but 6 legend balls would last longer for same price as $300 Callaway though!

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 12:01 PM

racoondad:
    I have serious doubt about the Durability.

Agreed - Theoretically it should be a 67% increase, but who knows. 

I don't think WGT wants us to be able to figure these things out...  For all we know that 1.5 dots on the Legend ball may only be 1.45 dots and is rounded up, while the Callaway could be 2.35 dots rounded up to 2.5.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 12:05 PM

racoondad:
    Or, someone good at book keeping please track the number of hits and post it here.

Not including putts which don't count against durability, I shot 58 on STA, 63 on Kia, and 61 on BPB.  Ball ran out after my drive on 18 at BPB.  Let's say I averaged 22 putts in each for a total of 66 putts.  58+63+61= 182 then subtract putts...182-66= 116.  So best guess is somewhere between 112 and 120 hits for a ball, provided you don't get bitten by the meter and lose one.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 12:35 PM

dots o' durability -

WGT has never said that there is an arithmetical ratio tied to the dots. Is the spin on a ball with 2 dots twice as fast as one with 1 dot, and so on? The increase from one dot to the next could be only marginal, but noticeable.

RSS