Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven Lies Ryder Cup @ Chambers Bay: Sep2015: Qualification Thread

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 4 2015 2:42 PM (98 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 10:53 AM

This thread is to follow-up on information already posted, and notice given, in the Spring 2015 UEL Tour thread, concerning an upcoming community event, the 4th Uneven Lies Ryder Cup, which will be held at Chambers Bay in September 2015.

Just like the recent UEL Ryder Cup @ Olympic (held in January/February and won by the ROW team), this next event will be based on qualification, and the qualifying method will be the Spring 2015 UEL Tour.

The Spring 2015 UEL Tour thread is here, and results will be taken from those 12 weeks' worth of the free weekly UEL singles tourneys hosted by WGT, starting next week with wk11's tourney and running through to wk22.

Players who are interested in playing in this UEL Ryder Cup event should please indicate their availability in this thread, and their willingness to try and qualify, or be considered for captain's picks, for the 12 places available on each team.

PLEASE ALSO SAY WHICH TEAM YOU WISH TO TRY AND QUALIFY FOR!

-----------------------------------------

As with the prior event it's all based on participation in the 12 weekly 18-hole UEL singles tourneys. Please help spread the word in your cc's and amongst friends.

Final selections for the Ryder Cup teams will be made from standings relating to a player's best 9 scores, so you can afford to miss a few weeks, or have some bad rounds, and still qualify.

The exact balance for team selection is described in the following post.

If you're wondering how the event will work, and the formats, please see the thread for the last edition. And do note these will be multiplayer games and we will use the 60-second clock this time around. We will have a Time Availability Chart in use that pairs players up that have overlapping schedules, so it should still all work, given players' best intentions.

Thanks, Corwyn

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 10:54 AM

Team Selection:

Teams will be comprised of the following players:

• Top player for each Team from each tier's credit standings (TL & L)

• Next 4 for each Team from Combined Best 9 Scores Credit Standings

• Next 4 for each Team from Combined Best 9 Scores Relative to Par Standings

+ 2 Captain's Picks for each team.

* Why does the USA Team get an extra Captain's Pick, you may well ask?

Well, this is why: I am making an executive decision that if available, the extra USA Captain's pick will go to WGTIcon (who will play, as last time, as Iconian). Icon is not allowed to participate in WGT tournaments (on account of being an employee, and thus unable to qualify via the Tour), but has been a true advocate and expert exponent of Uneven Lies, and a great supporter of these events. I feel it is the right thing to do for the community to enable and embrace Icon's participation, and an honor for us to get to play alongside or against such a great player.

Edit: 3/23: The 3rd US Team's captain's pick, which was a feature of prior RyderCups in order to accomodate WGTicon, has now been removed as Icon will compete for his place as iconian in the weekly events.

Alternates:

We will certainly need alternates. The commitments I've been asking for are necessarily non-binding. We are talking about an event that is months away, and people's lives change.

Alternates will be selected, first and foremost, from the Spring UEL Tour standings as follows: 1st alternate is next player for each team from the Combined Best 9 Credits list, then 2nd alternate for each team is the next player from Combined Best 9 Relative to Par list, and so on, switching back and forth down the list.

UEL Ryder Cup @ Chambers Bay :: Team Standings:

Please note: this is a tricky spreadsheet to comprehend. I've tried to present the material in as clear a manner as possible (and yet make it a dynamic spreadsheet that will update as each week's results come in)... so I acknowledge it's not perfect, but I'm hoping you can make sense of it!

It pulls data from the Tiered Credits Standings, and the two Best9Scores Credits and Relative to Par Standings (in that order), and cross-references them against the list of players who have indicated their intent to try and qualify (and for which team) [note this list currently has prior participants in it, but will be updated as people respond in this thread].

PLEASE NOTE: this list may not be fully complete: at this point I don't know who else might put themselves forward (and there are some assumptions involved, e.g. that former RC players would wish to qualify again).

Here are the Team Qualification Sheets: Team USA  | Team ROW

Obviously, the players who currently show as winning particular team selection slots may change, as results come in, and if new players decide they want to try to qualify.

The sheet will show names in yellow for those that qualify from that particular table, and in blue the players that have already qualified by virtue of their standing in a preceding table above. Hopefully, that helps :)

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 10:54 AM

<reserved>

Joe asked what happens in the event of a tie for the last automatic team qualifying place.

Here is my decision:

OK: here is the decision on what will happen in the event of a tie for a RyderCup automatic qualifying place should players end up with the same score in the Best9 Relative to Par category.

The tiebreak criteria will next go to said players' overall Relative to Par score (taking into account all tourneys they competed in). [In theory this better rewards a player who has both participated in more events, and been more consistent].

If that still fails to resolve the tie, then it will go to Best9 credits: whichever of those players has the most credits in the Best9 table will take the last automatic qualifying spot.

And if by some miracle that still fails to resolve the tie, it will go to overall Credits standing (not just best9).

Hope that makes sense (and seems logical and fair to all)!

Corwyn

P.S. The same principle applies should there be a tie for the last available spot via the Best9 Combined Credits category: first tiebreak criteria will go to said players' overall Combined Credits, and if that fails to resolve the tie, then it will go to Best9 Relative to Par, and then overall Relative to Par.

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 2:41 PM

Hi Corwyn, so here we go again!!!!  Great!

I hope next week the weekly UEL 18 holes will go over the 9th!!!  ;)

Good luck everyone!

• tygerjr
    722 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 3:10 PM

hi , i'd like to give this a try or be an alternate

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 3:45 PM

Corwyn:
    it's all based on participation in the 12 weekly 18-hole UEL singles tourneys.

Hi Tyger, 

You just need to play the weekly 18-hole UEL singles event (starting next week, wk11) in order to try and make the team (of your choice).

Will you try to make the Rest of the World team? (I ask because we have had a Canadian player who has played for the US team).

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 4:30 PM

Good job there are no TV's in your house C.... ;-))

Lotta work to organise these......................................

Respect

Andy

• Wesdogg75
    2,431 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 4:56 PM

Count me in Corwyn!!

Wes

• JoeMaverick
    843 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 11:57 PM

I will do my best! :)

• BigKnight