Forums

Help › Forums

UEL Tour: Spring 2015 edition

Wed, Jun 17 2015 2:54 AM (88 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2015 8:23 PM

Tour Spreadsheet

This is to announce the Spring 2015 Uneven Lies Tour starting a week tomorrow, Monday 3/9.

The tour will begin with the wk11 tourney, and run for 12 weeks (up to and including wk22).

Please help spread the word in your cc, and amongst friends. Thank you!

**** To be a part of the Tour, players just need to play the free weekly Uneven Lies 18-hole single-play tourney. ****

Some context:

In mid-December 2013, WGT introduced free weekly UEL singles tourneys. Since then, there's been an UEL single every week, covering almost the full rotation of courses. 

To help encourage newer players to give Uneven Lies a go, and as an incentive for those who already love the format, I decided it might be fun to create a Tour from these tourneys.

For anyone interested in the prior Tours follow the links below (to see how the spreadsheets work, view the Winter 2013 one, which lays bare the formulas and hidden cells):

Initial, test, Winter Tour 2013 results are here  |  Tour thread

Spring 2014 UEL Tour results spreadsheet  |  UEL Tour: Spring 2014 forum thread

Fall 2014 UEL Tour results spreadsheet  |  UEL Tour: Fall 2014 forum thread

This Spring 2015 Tour will also be the basis for team qualification for the 4th UEL Ryder Cup, to be held in September @ Chambers Bay (and, I hope, for a cc team event in late spring/early summer).

Once again, we hope to attract the very best UEL players in the game to that event, so please do your best in these weekly UEL singles events to try and qualify. Full details on team qualification will be noted in a dedicated thread in the Community-Organized Events forum. Please note that you will need to indicate your interest in trying to qualify, so please look out for that thread (coming shortly).

I am aware that the prize-pool for these free weekly singles tourneys is low, and may not be enough to entice top players to play, if concerned about covering ball costs. But I'm also hoping that the possibility of participation in the most prestigious high-level UEL event on WGT will be a strong incentive to take part.

The Spring 2015 UEL Tour Standings spreadsheet:

Scores and credits, etc, will accumulate in this spreadsheet. I'll post sample images below once we have some data after the first week's tourney.

Thanks, Corwyn

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2015 8:24 PM

<reserved for explanatory notes: note these are copied from the Spring Tour>

Notes on the sheets:

1. Tiers

I've only included Tour Legend and Legend tiers for now. If there is a strong demand to include Tour Master, Master, etc, please let me know (and I'll consider if I can add that to the workload). 

2. Criteria for Score Inclusion

I had to set a limit somewhere, so decided to set these criteria: any score that earns credits (i.e. top 70 finish), or a score of par or better, will be included each week. In our first Tour, in practice this meant every TL score in every tourney was included, and typically 2-3 pages of the L leaderboard was included.

3. Course Conditions:

Throughout the Tours so far conditions were consistent, with TLs having Low wind conditions for most of the tour (but with their typical Champ greens), while Legends had Moderate wind and Tourney greens. This somewhat balanced itself out, making the comparative Score relative to Par potentially our best combined standings option.

4. Updates

I will update the Standings spreadsheet twice-weekly: 1. On Mondays with final scores from the prior week's tourney. 2. On Tuesdays/Wednesdays, once WGT have completed their score validation, and credit prize-giving.

Thus, the sheet will always be 'in progress'.

5. Workings:

If anyone wants to know how the sheet works, either ask me, or see the Winter Tour edition, where I left visible the background workings of the sheets, for transparency. Please note that I'd also welcome hearing about any errors if you come across them. I'm hoping this can be useful as a template for anyone trying to set up tour events themselves, or in their cc (and I'm available to help do that in exchange for balls, if anyone needs that service).

The Sheets themselves:

Structure:

The spreadsheet has tabs at the bottom that you use to navigate.

There are several color-coded sections:

a) TL standings: 

• in cumulative Credits won;
    • ongoing Average (with requirement of at least 4 rounds);
    • cumulative amount Relative to Par;
    • and an alphabetically-organized Placings sheet (so you can find yourself in the list and see where you've finished across each tourney).

Those sheets are repeated for b) Legend Tier….

Cross-Tier Comparison:

… and then c) there are a few sheets attempting to get a meaningful comparison across the TL and L tiers, with combined credit standings as one version, and score relative to par as another (including versions that take each player's best 9 scores). 

Obviously, no comparison system will be perfect, but I'd be interested to hear people's feedback and ideas.

Data Sheets:

After the Combined Standings sheets come the data…

d) Every week in the tour will have a Leaderboard sheet, including both the TL and L information, copied from the tourney leaderboards (and will include a live link to each of those WGT webpages at the top).

Finally, e) there are some admin sheets: an intermediate place to paste data from WGT, and Player List and Courses sheets, that the standings sheets pull from.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2015 8:24 PM

<reserved for tour sponsorships>

Please post here (or PM me privately) if you would like to sponsor a prize for the Tour.

Your generosity will be much appreciated!

------------------------------------

alcaucin:
    Stick me down for 5 sleeves C, to disperse as u see fit..

Andy

Corwyn:
    KonradOse has stepped forward and offered prize sponsorship for the Tour of 10 sleeves (or 5,000cr.)

alcaucin: 5 sleeves

KonradOse: 10 sleeves

Thanks Andy & Konrad!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2015 8:25 PM

<reserved for information/links to other threads for UEL Ryder Cup in September, and other UEL events>

Uneven Lies Ryder Cup @ Chambers Bay: Sep2015: Qualification Thread 

• Wontonamo
    2,269 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 3:43 AM

sorry to say its only a 9holer this week - same as the weekly 18holer regular stroke.

both 18holers this week are actually 9

• JoeMaverick
    843 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 3:54 AM

Wontonamo:

sorry to say its only a 9holer this week - same as the weekly 18holer regular stroke.

both 18holers this week are actually 9

If I'm right the qualifications will start not this week but the next one (3/9). Let's hope it will be solved for next week :)

• Wontonamo
    2,269 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 4:53 AM

ur right joe late here and I have forgotten how to read.

yes lets hope its ok next week and onwards :)

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 11:10 AM

Yes, hopefully the tourneys will be programmed properly (and I'm keeping fingers crossed that we get a full roster of courses, with no repeats).

If there any 9-hole snafus, I'll just push the Tour back a week each time, or perhaps add in one of the monthly single-play uel 18-holers. I feel strongly that the Tour needs to be a test of full 18-hole rounds.

(Note that I won't add in a monthly event without notice, nor do that with any that have already commenced, as that would be unfair to someone who may have played them casually... so look out for notice here in this thread if that is to happen).

• aichapman
    1,313 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 11:58 AM

Thanks for the "Heads Up" and all the info.

Greatly appreciated

Regards from Al

PS I will inform my friends ( the U/L ones ) and hopefully you may get a few new entries.

All good fun

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2015 1:45 PM

Ill try to play too, for fun. 

:)

RSS