Re: Uneven Lies Ryder Cup @ Chambers Bay: Sep2015: Qualification Thread

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 4 2015 2:42 PM (98 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2015 9:57 AM

UEL Ryder Cup @ Chambers Bay :: Team Standings:  after week 18 tourney

see second post page 1 above for explanation of how these spreadsheets work

Below are updated sheets for each Team's qualification status following wk18 results at Kiawah in the UEL Spring 2015 Tour.

Credits were added to the leaderboard yesterday afternoon, so here are the latest standings up to that point. Hopefully, we'll get a quicker turnaround this week with the Pinehurst tourney.

Please check that everything is correct: I'm fairly sure I captured every player that declared an interest in qualification (via earlier posts here, or in the Spring Tour thread, or via PMs to myself) but please make sure.

Also, the spreadsheet is misbehaving at times -- I suspect it's so slow that it doesn't fully update every cell calculation while I have it open, and that can lead to certain data not being included when it sorts standings -- so please check that your own results look right. This google doc spreadsheet is truly tortuously slow to run: any techies who could give me some tips please do! I'm using Chrome on a Mac running OS X 10.6.8)

Click on links to go straight to respective spreadsheets (Team USA  | Team ROW), or right-click images below to open in new tab, and zoom in to see full size ....

Team USA: qualification standings after wk18 tourney

Team ROW: qualification standings after wk18 tourney

These results take us through 8 weeks of the 12 week Spring UEL Tour... Remember, the best 9 results are relevant to determining the majority of team places.

For Team USA, Ben (bhoese) still has the TL USA credit earner lead, but it's vulnerable to one great result from one of several challengers: Ross, Shankette, Rock, and Russ are all only one win behind. In L tier, akash1592 stretched his lead over mmyers0, the main rivals  for the automatic leading Legend credit winner spot on Team USA.

Currently, mmyers0, GolferDadRB, Shankette and Rock have the next 4 credits spots, while ColumbusStorm, frenchconnect,, Wesdogg75 and fredsf have a lead on the remaining places via scores relative to par. However, BigKnight, DaveDwingdale, baggepance are all close behind. ab1983 has missed several weeks and his challenge is in jeopardy... while Iconian's cause looks hopeless (after missing yet another week).

For Team ROW, Saurabh08's dip in form has allowed Mags to open up a huge lead in the TL credit standings. Back-to-back wins from FluffyGreens ate into Corwyn's lead in the L credit standings.

Amongst the 4 next highest credits earners in the Tour, there were significant changes this week. Wins by Priestess and FluffyGreens moved them both into qualifying spots in this category, joined by Saurabh and KonradOse. Dazza's relative to par scores are not so strong, and his position was riding on a great win at RSG earlier in the Tour. Now he slips out of the automatic qualifying spots. FairwayRuepel68, Daskino, duffputt and JoeMaverick make up the final group of four currently. Tgokmv and Legaci are threatening some 4-5 shots behind. Matildalgaly, Adalanar, johehejo, and Andivo have some catching up to do...

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, May 16 2015 2:15 PM

UEL Ryder Cup @ Chambers Bay :: Team Standings:  after week 19 tourney

Below are updated sheets for each Team's qualification status following wk19 results at Pinehurst in the UEL Spring 2015 Tour.

Credits were added to the leaderboard sometime yesterday, so here are the latest standings up to that point. I keep hoping we'll get a quicker turnaround each week.

Please check that everything is correct: I'm fairly sure I captured every player that declared an interest in qualification (via earlier posts here, or in the Spring Tour thread, or via PMs to myself) but please make sure.

Also, the spreadsheet is misbehaving at times -- I suspect it's so slow that it doesn't fully update every cell calculation while I have it open, and that can lead to certain data not being included when it sorts standings -- so please check that your own results look right. This google doc spreadsheet is truly tortuously slow to run: any techies who could give me some tips please do! I'm using Chrome on a Mac running OS X 10.6.8)

Click on links to go straight to respective spreadsheets (Team USA  | Team ROW), or right-click images below to open in new tab, and zoom in to see full size ....

Team USA: qualification standings after wk19 tourney

Team ROW: qualification standings after wk19 tourney

These results take us through 9 weeks of the 12 week Spring UEL Tour... Remember, the best 9 results are relevant to determining the majority of team places.

For Team USA, Ben (bhoese) still has the TL USA credit earner lead, but it's vulnerable to one great result from one of several challengers: Ross, Shankette, Rock, Russ, frenchconnect, and now DaveDwingdale, are all only one win behind. In L tier, akash1592 still has a full-win lead over mmyers0, the main rivals  for the automatic leading Legend credit winner spot on Team USA.

The big change this week was DaveDwingdale superb 57 at Pinehurst for 2nd place in TL tier, propelling him into the automatic qualifying spot amongst the best next 4 credits finishers in the standings: currently they are mmyers0, GolferDadRB, DaveDwingdale, and KyRock75, while ColumbusStorm, Shankette, fredsf, and frenchconnect have a lead on the remaining places via scores relative to par. However, Wesdogg75 is actually tied on score with fred and frenchconnect, so that will be awfully close. BigKnight is some four shots back and has some work to do. baggepance and ab1983 seem too far behind now, but should keep challenging to impress the captain for captain's picks.

For Team ROW, fmagnets enjoys a monumental lead now in the TL credit standings. Corwyn's failure to get his last putt in in time on the 18th at Pinehurst was not too costly, as no-one gained much on his L credit standings lead.

Amongst the 4 next highest credits earners in the Tour, Priestess also didn't post a score at Pinehurst, but should be safe for qualifying via this route. The biggest mover was johehejo with his 3rd place finish, but he has a lot to do to catch up. A couple more high finishes will be needed for Jorg. Currently Saurabh08, KonradOse, Priestess and FluffyGreens hold these 4 qualifying places.

They're joined in the relative to par slots by FairwayRuepel68, Daskino, JoeMaverick and duffputt, with johehejo and Matildalgaly some 7 shots behind.

This however, is where the best 9 scores really begins to show in the spreadsheet. It could be very close indeed... 

Good luck to everyone battling for places on the Ryder Cup teams!

• JoeMaverick
    843 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2015 1:25 AM

For team ROW, fmag, Saurabh, Konrad, Tess and Corwyn are sure to be in, whatever they do in the last two weeks. Behind FluffyGreens could be the last qualified through the best 9 credits, but Fairway and Duffputt (who could win this week) are not far, like Dazza.

Through best 9 relative to par (the part that interests me), it's currently a big battle between 5 players for 4 places: Fairway, Daskino, Duffputt, Legaci and me. Legaci because even if he seems very far, he has 2 nulls and a -4 in his results. So if we consider the best 9, he's currently in team ROW (but he may not make any mistake in the last two weeks). 

Only Johehejo can come back from behind, with a great finish (he have not posted a score this week yet). Matildalgaly seems too far. 

Raaa it's stressful! :p

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2015 5:31 AM

Nice analysis Joe!

It sure is stressful... even though I am (fairly) safe, I'm nervous watching the battle between your group.

Legaci has used up all his extra lives and can only improve score each remaining week.

Another factor is how easy the remaining 2 courses turn out to be... (nothing posted yet on the Calendar).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on scores posted for RSG so far this week, this is what I see happening in terms of how the best 9 scores will play out:

Joe: -5 drops, -9 replaces, improves 4 > -92   [3 lowest: -18]

duffputt: -5 drops,-13 replaces, improves 8 > -92   [3 lowest: -21]

daskino: -6 drops, -7 replaces, improves 1 >  -90   [3 lowest: -20]

legaci: nothing drops, -10 replaces > improves 10 > -84     [3 lowest: -4]

matildalgaly: -4 drops, -8 replaces, improves 4 > -81   [3 lowest: -16]

-----------------

fairwayruepel68: -4 drops, still to play RSG > currently -90    [3 lowest: -18]

johehejo: nothing drops, still to play RSG > currently -77   [3 lowest: -16]

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2015 10:41 AM

FYI: I've updated the spreadsheet this morning with all the results from wk20 @ RSG. 

Click on links to go straight to respective spreadsheets (Team USA  | Team ROW)

As we're getting close to the end of the UEL Spring Tour and the qualification period for the UEL Ryder Cup @ Chambers Bay, I'll try and do the full wrap-up first-thing Monday each week.

Please note: I included credits in the spreadsheet for wk20, even though the tourney is not closed out. I used spreadsheet calculations to figure out payout based on the standard payout rules. Obviously these are not final, but they will give an idea of where everyone stands in this close battle for team places!

P.S. Sad to see a repeat of Kiawah this week for wk21 tourney... (and still no Olympic!) and, as Kiawah is typically a low-scoring course, that makes this week very important for those vying for the final places via relative score to par.

• JoeMaverick
    843 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2015 11:43 AM

Thanks to be so quick! If I calcul well, My current best9 is still -3 compared to Duffputt and Daskino, +4 compared to Legaci. And Jorge is not so far. The good news for me is that Duffputt and Rupel can still grab their place through the best9 credits. So I still have a lot of opportunities to be in, but it's far to be done.

And I'm unhappy with Kiawah because it's a "all or nothing" course. Either you make all your putts or none them are in!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, May 19 2015 5:49 PM

UEL Ryder Cup @ Chambers Bay :: Team Standings:  after week 20 tourney

Below are updated sheets for each Team's qualification status following wk20 results at Royal St. George's in the UEL Spring 2015 Tour.

Please note: I have included credits in the Tour Spreadsheet for wk20, even though the tourney is not yet closed out officially.

Team USA: qualification standings after wk20 tourney

Team ROW: qualification standings after wk20 tourney

These results take us through 10 weeks of the 12 week Spring UEL Tour... Remember, the best 9 results are relevant to determining the majority of team places.

For Team USA, Ben (bhoese) still has the TL USA credit earner lead, but is still vulnerable to one great result from one of several challengers: Ross, Shankette, Rock, Dave, Russ, and even frenchconnect are all only one win behind. In L tier, despite missing last week, akash1592 still has a full-win lead over mmyers0, the main rivals  for the automatic leading Legend credit winner spot on Team USA.

In the the next category, the 4 next highest credits finishers in the standings are currently mmyers0, GolferDadRB, Shankette, and DaveDwingdale. KyRock75 is close behind, but can't afford to miss any more weeks if he wishes to qualify via that route. Right now he's in the list via the relative to par standings, but only with a 2 shot lead over fredsf. ColumbusStorm, frenchconnect and Wesdogg75 make up the other automatic qualifying spots. BigKnight is now seven shots back and has some work to do. baggepance and ab1983 are surely too far behind now, but should keep challenging to impress the captain for captain's picks.

For Team ROW, fmagnets has already guaranteed that he'll top the TL credit standings. Corwyn's tiebreak win extended his L credit standings lead.

Amongst the 4 next highest credits earners in the Tour, big gains were made this week by duffputt and Priestess. Saurabh08, KonradOse, Priestess and FluffyGreens still hold the four qualifying spots via this route, but duffputt is closing on Fluffy... !

duffputt's great RSG score helps him immensely in the big battle for the last 4 automatic qualifying spots. Currently FairwayRuepel68 is on -96, four ahead of duffputt and JoeMaverick on -92, with Daskino two further back on -90. But Legaci is threatening on -84 and has 0 shots that drop away when better scores are posted. Daskino has 12 shots that will drop out, while Joe has 10 and duffputt 13. It will go right to the wire as the best 9 scores are what counts!

Good luck to everyone battling for places on the Ryder Cup teams!

• JoeMaverick
    843 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2015 8:53 AM

Hi Corwyn,

What happens if for example the last qualified player from the best9 relative 2 par has exactly the same score as the first non-qualified player? What is the second criteria? Best8? Best10? Best9 credits?

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2015 12:17 PM

That's a good question, Joe! It's never been an issue before.

I'll have to think about it (quickly!). First inclination is that it should go to Best9 credits. That would be logical and already set up as a calculation.

In practice though, if someone were to tie for best9 relative to par with another player, it would be a cruel captain indeed who did not make the non-qualifying player a captain's pick!

FYI everyone: I did find time yesterday morning to update the spreadsheets so that we have full information (note once again that the credit allocations for wk21 are provisional, as they still are for wk20 which remains to be closed out by WGT).

I find myself in an incredibly busy week. I'm not sure which idiot thought it was a good idea to have 3 separate UEL competitions (and 4 threads) closing together in the same week as a big real-life deadline (and when I'm doing full-duty with the kids while the wife's gone on a trip)... oh yes, that would be me, lol.

Hope to post wk21 update pics soon...

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2015 7:37 PM

OK: here is the decision on what will happen in the event of a tie for a RyderCup automatic qualifying place should players end up with the same score in the Best9 Relative to Par category.

The tiebreak criteria will next go to said players' overall Relative to Par score (taking into account all tourneys they competed in). [In theory this better rewards a player who has both participated in more events, and been more consistent].

If that still fails to resolve the tie, then it will go to Best9 credits: whichever of those players has the most credits in the Best9 table will take the last automatic qualifying spot.

And if by some miracle that still fails to resolve the tie, it will go to overall Credits standing (not just best9).

Hope that makes sense (and seems logical and fair to all)!

Corwyn

RSS