Help › Forums

*** More Realistic Rough Conditions ***

Mon, May 18 2015 5:11 AM (306 replies)
  • BillyMayfair
    4,631 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2015 12:22 AM

WGTicon:

Hi Everyone,

In an effort to continue to make WGT a realistic golf experience, we’ve made some changes to how balls perform when they’re hit from different lies in the rough.

...maybe the rough might be more realistic....and eventually maybe we will all learn to adjust....

.......but  the new green speeds are absolutely ridiculous.   "...an effort to continue to make WGT a realistic golf experience..."   see below

assuming our "speeds" are supposed to be compatible with stimpmeter readings, we now have greens with a 2 rating and a 40 rating......  

Next comes the clown's mouth and the windmill...and you know what WGT, if you hit the clown or the windmill blade you should take a couple of shots off the ball's "life" so they need to be replaced sooner....

Ridiculous.....

Wayne (BillyMayfair)

• demcug
    1,456 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2015 12:34 AM

Please WGT,

when you change something, do it when you are not on any major tournament.

Who played the 2nd round of the virtual tour (January) has definitely had an advantage in exiting ROUGH 40-50.

Or am I wrong?

• Covenant
    1,498 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2015 12:37 AM

Its all pretty simple really: changes need to be practiced, practice cost balls, balls make money.

Not a problem for the rich and famous, but a huge one for the great middle section of players hanging on to play this game 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2015 1:48 AM

oneeyedjohn:

Not sure this is good, why mess things around for players who have  invested a lot of time and balls learning all the shots from around the green. 

So what will happen now to my  full backspin flop on #2 Congo from 13 yards away in the 40-50% rough. I normally stiff it.

Your time would have been better spent making bunker play more realistic, because at the moment it is a million miles away from real life golf.

Great points 1i.

I suppose WGT can only change one thing at a time....in pursuit of making the game more realistic.

But if it is about making the game more realsitic, then perhaps WGT could comment on the new green speeds which are far removed from being realistic on any course in the world. Just an observation.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2015 2:49 AM

alanti:
    But if it is about making the game more realsitic, then perhaps WGT could comment on the new green speeds which are far removed from being realistic on any course in the world. Just an observation.

LOL I don't mind provided they don't turn around and say it took much time.  More than a coffee  break would be a waste of time.  Not that I would have anything against it in a CC comp now and then for a giggle, but it is not a test of skill and so would seem very silly after twice I would think.  If it took time way more serious things to worry about.

Also thinking again that new realistic rough.  Over time I could  see it being welcomed generally, but for the credit based stuff the more I think about it the game is not ready for it.  By definition cheats will not find the rough so often, and this is just playing in to their hands........Nice idea maybe but fatally flawed in a credit game. Cart before horse, unless someone convinces me otherwise..

• borntobesting
    9,633 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2015 2:50 AM

Covenant:

Its all pretty simple really: changes need to be practiced, practice cost balls, balls make money.

Not a problem for the rich and famous, but a huge one for the great middle section of players hanging on to play this game 

Not really. Learning how the ball is  going to react from the rough now can be done with the free balls that WGT has given us that are just sitting in the bag gathering dust.

• WoodenHands
    526 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2015 4:00 AM

fmagnets:

Shoe was not correct. 40/50 is definitely playing differently, and is found around a lot of the greens. The ball seems to be coming out more easily, but with less spin.

+1

shots certainly don't stop like they used to.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2015 4:22 AM

I got stung by the 40-50% rough. I was short and right of the long par 5 at bethpage thats on the best of famous course. I played my normal distance for that shot and landed where I would expect to. It then didn't spin at all and went 20ft past the hole. I would estimate that cost me about 600cr in that RG. A 56 was a big difference in payout than a 55.

Edit. My mistake..over 1000cr that cost me. A little notice of the change would of been nice.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2015 4:46 AM

borntobesting:

Covenant:

Not really. Learning how the ball is  going to react from the rough now can be done with the free balls that WGT has given us that are just sitting in the bag gathering dust.

BTB, you're dead wrong here. A ball with 2 dots of spin when you normally play with 4,5 dots is useless for short game practice (or any kind at all). The only thing you learn is what shots do with a ball you DON'T use.

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2015 5:02 AM

Amen kria. And amen covenant.   I am that player hanging on.  Granted I hit the mystical 100 long ago. I don't care what my avg says.  I'm. 62/63 player on good days and free free offers aren't enough help. I try my hand at rg to see if I can scrape profit. It's futile

for the first time.....I am that player who could live without bothering to play.  Takes me too long to figure out the old ways not to mention anything new.   My days are nearing and end.   Though mumbled internally before I'm out there on the catch ya all later branch with a hand saw

this is not some kind of final straw or emotional whine - it's just taking me longer to learn what i had to let alone new stuff - this is more like physical and emotional exasperation lol

RSS