Forums

Help › Forums

championship round...BPB

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 24 2009 10:21 PM (70 replies)
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 12:53 AM

No dice here either.  Lag spike into the trees on 1 for double bogey set the tone.  At 3:30am, it's too late for that sh*t!

Crowning acheivements of the round were a hole out for Bird on 10 and a chip in for Bird on 18. *yawn*

Good luck to the remaining people out there, and to whoever wins, enjoy the trip!  It'll be a blast!

• DougieWaugh
    1,145 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 1:19 AM

Would like to add my thanks to WGT for a fantastic tournament, even although my final round 77 will not even put me in the top 100.  As I have only ever broken par once at Bethpage in all my attempts, I was very happy to be only +1 at the turn, butit all went southward with mainly poor putting on the back nine.

Fully hoping for the opportunity to compete in something like that again and now looking forward to the experience of The Old Course at St Andrews ahead of going there on holiday (vacation) for a week in August.

Once again, keep up the good work WGT and for all the detractors - everyone has to play the same courses in similar conditions!

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 3:41 AM

Thought I had something special brewing with 3 birdies in the first four holes but then as usual bogie fever set in .  -1 at the turn still gave me hope of a descent finish, but it wasn't in the cards as 6 of the last 9 holes resulted in bogies.   LOL.. Good luck to the rest of you and remember it's all about having a good time.

• gitthe
    66 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 6:04 AM

Good reminder Sal that it's about having fun.  What a humbling round.  I can empathize with Ricky Barnes' meltdown in the fourth round of the real US Open.  Started out with two nervous mislicks on 1 and 2 that led to bogeys.  Nervous misclick led to bogey again on 5 as I drove into deep weeds as I thought "I have to hit the fairway."  Thanks WGT for putting together a fun US Open.  Congrats to whoever wins.    

• ToughCool
    70 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 6:16 AM

As I said at the beginning of this thread it was tough but not terrible Ans I missed a ton of putts 10 feet in for the 78. I'm glad someone else noticed how tough the traps and rough were. 18 killed me. I wasn't expecting to win but disappointing way to end.

• Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 8:06 AM

Allow me to throw in my two pennies after completing a very disappointing 75:

1. Thanks again to WGT for the opportunity to play in OUR U.S. Open. I can't count the times I've played a championship round of golf in my mind, but to actually play a round for something at stake (yes, it's on online game and not for real, but I don't get out much, either) was a thrilling experience. Thanks again, and we'll see you again next year.

2. Let me echo the sentiments of several players: the shots are out there to make. I went birdie-free and missed several makable putts in conditions that I found to be less severe than in qualifying (I was expecting monsoon-like conditions and tile-floor greens). I was blessed with no glitches computer-wise, so execution is still the key.

3. Congratulations to NASAgolfer for an excellent round. I see that a lot of the top players have already signed their scorecards as well, so that score will be tough to top. Enjoy the experience, and set up the slideshow when you get back.

4. I cannot express in words (despite my attempts here) how wonderful it will be to try my hand on the Old Course, one of my absolute favorites. I keep thinking WGT has outdone themselves after announcing the U.S. Open, then they trump it with THE Open course. They weren't kidding when they said MUCH more is on the way. I may have to set my alarm for very early Thursday morning.

5. I am sorry for letting the golfing family down with my performance today. I busted my tail trying to qualify, and did so on the last day by two-putting #18 from 71 feet. That was the most nerve-racking 4-foot par putt I've ever experienced. But I feel this experience will only enhance my tournament play in the future, and maybe one day I'll be up there with the big dogs. I'm just enjoying my view from the porch right now.

6. Good luck to the rest of you who have not yet played your round. I hope you have read some of the posts concerning the tourney, and believe me, you have a chance to win this thing.

Anyone let me know when you want to chase it around for 9. See you on the tee box.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 8:08 AM

Wtg on the 66, Nasa ... I shot a poorly 76 yesterday ... Probably had 10 putts that just missed. Guess i should have been putting from less than 20' all the time .LOL. Winds weren't bad at all .. kinda screwed myself on the 1st couple of putts thinking the greens were fast .. didn't seem that fast to me.

It's all good though. Had a great time playing on a great course. Big congrats to WGT for setting all this up for us. Great site... and i still say it's the best golf game i've ever played... looking forward to St. Andrews now.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 10:59 AM

It's been an amazing competition so far... thanks everyone for playing and keeping us posted on your games.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 12:46 PM

Finished it finally...glad it's over! 73.  Bogied 5,7,11,12, & birdied 8. Missed my usual birdies but I parred 15? Drank 2 cups of coffee now my nerves are shot!  =)  that was fun though...

• Caven
    63 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 2:51 PM

As always WGT comes through in the end.  A month ago reading these forums you would have thought WGT was the most inept organization on the web, most of us thought different then and did not buy into the rhetoric, and you more than proved yourselves highly capable.  Patience is not always a virtue for all.

Wish I would have given BPB a chance, only started 5 rounds and finished three, just enough to qualify.  Had a blast yesterday though.

Congrats to the winner, I always thought Avatar Lee was the most "clutch" player, you are much his equal, and bless you WGT.

RSS