Forums

Help › Forums

Slowing down?

Thu, Jun 9 2016 2:07 PM (95 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Nov 28 2014 4:00 PM

I was playing with a friend just earlier (playing golf that is...lol)  he is using maxthon and getting pop-up adds on the screen,  which I haven't seen yet.

I have adblock and using Comodo Dragon and have slow loads every now and again.

Just wondering if those adds are still loading into my system (even if I can't see em) causing the slow loads

-Roger

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Fri, Nov 28 2014 4:11 PM

Hi Mantis, I noticed your post and decided to do a little research regarding your Comodo Dragon browser. Here's what I found on their website support page.

Web-Pages load slowly or fail to load

There could be many reasons why the web-pages are not loading quickly in Comodo Dragon. First ascertain that the problem persists only for Comodo Dragon only. Open the pages that are loading slowly in Comodo Dragon or don't load at all in other browsers.

If the web-pages are loading slowly only in Dragon, try the following:

Open the web-pages in an incognito window

If the web-pages are loading normally in an incognito window, then the problem may be with your browsing data or with extensions. These are disabled when you are using an incognito window. To resolve the problem:

• Disable all your extensions and enable them one by one until the web-pages load normally in Dragon standard window. Clear here to know how to disable extensions.

• Delete your cookies, cache and browsing history.

• Restart Comodo Dragon after closing all the browser windows.

• Check whether the settings in antivirus and firewall applications in your system are configured to allow Comodo Dragon.

Disable Predict network actions feature

To disable Predict network actions

• Click the Comodo Dragon menu  located at the top-right corner
    • Select 'Settings' from the menu > 'Show advanced settings' link.
    • In the 'Privacy' section, deselect the 'Predict network actions to improve page load performance' 

Cheers! -- Joe

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Fri, Nov 28 2014 4:46 PM

I use Comodo, also. IceDragon (because it's the most secure browser out there), and Comodo Chromium. Dragon and IceDragon are based on the Mozilla engine, and haven't updated in almost a year (still at 26.0 version). The Comodo Chromium uses the Chrome engine, and it smokes Google Chrome in smoothness, security, and load times. Maxthon just won't allow any decent extensions to block ads, protect privacy, etc. 

Mozilla, Comodo, Chrome, and Opera all allow for adblock, ghostery, donottrackme, and stop google redirect extensions.

I use maxthon for vids and surveys only. Comodo Chromium to play on.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Nov 28 2014 5:44 PM

DodgyPutter:
    It looks to me to show numbers down on last year but the numbers for the last month greatly exaggerate this. The difference in October is massive but looking at September there is little difference and in August the numbers are higher this year.

DodgyPutter:
    although it seems fair to compare the last completed month, I think the 36% drop this month is very misleading.   

That's a valid observation.  Basing a conclusion on a single point of data can be misleading. 

Allow me to add that Oct. 2012 also had about 500K unique US visitors so Oct. this year is down 34% from 2012 and down 36% from Oct. 2012

I think one can tell from the graph that overall, traffic is down this year from 2013.  To confirm, I added all the values from Jan. thru Oct. 2013 and compared it to the total Jan. thru Oct. 2014.  Total YTD unique US visitors is down 12% compared to the same interval in 2013.

DodgyPutter:
    There may be reasons for some of the peaks and troughs connected to offers (free rentals etc), or something as simple as nine or ten weekend days in a particular month.

Good thinking Dodgy!  Peaks could also be cause by WGT running an ad campaign of their own, introduction of a new course generates more traffic in May, June.  An interesting peak in January three years running.  It could be post holiday renewed interest, or cabin fever as golfers start thinking of spring.  Note all 3 golf related sites show that peak.

October didn't show a huge increase (Oct. was 324K, Sept was 314K) even though the 1st CC vs CC was introduced.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Nov 29 2014 7:25 AM

andyson:

DodgyPutter:
    It looks to me to show numbers down on last year but the numbers for the last month greatly exaggerate this. The difference in October is massive but looking at September there is little difference and in August the numbers are higher this year.

DodgyPutter:
    although it seems fair to compare the last completed month, I think the 36% drop this month is very misleading.   

That's a valid observation.  Basing a conclusion on a single point of data can be misleading. 

Allow me to add that Oct. 2012 also had about 500K unique US visitors so Oct. this year is down 34% from 2012 and down 36% from Oct. 2012

I was agreeing that numbers were down this year, I just thought the 36% may be misleading.  Perhaps the 34% from the year before adds something but what I was really trying to say was perhaps any month on month comparison is misleading.  If I had the numbers I could use January or August as a comparison and show how the numbers are significantly up this year.

Again let me say I can see the numbers are a bit down this year and I'm not trying to argue the fact.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Nov 29 2014 9:41 AM

I realize all that Dodgy, and know you weren't disagreeing.  To OTE's question, the site has slowed down a bit.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Dec 23 2014 6:45 PM

Here's an update with November's data.

WGT's unique U.S. visitors decreased considerably in November vs October, a drop of 97K UVs.  Compared to one year ago, unique U.S. visitors are down 52% from 472K to 227K.  That's the lowest figure I've seen in 3 years.

Lets see if the introduction of Bandon Dunes has a positive effect on December traffic.

• robgt90
    21 Posts
    Tue, Dec 23 2014 7:07 PM

I have been playing on Maxthon for a while now, and have noticed over the past 2 weeks, that the pages have been loading very slow, it took me an hour and a half, to play 18 holes the other day. The average load time between locations was (3) minutes. I gutted it out to the end. Had my computer checked, all is well. Hopefully WGT has nothing major happening with the site. Maybe it's just Maxthon, who knows?

• malandvic
    1 Posts
    Tue, Dec 23 2014 7:52 PM

i have been playing on here for a month now.i find the game brilliant.however there is some major connection problems a lot of the time,no way can you hit or control the shot to be played and very often lose connection halfway through a round and its not just me most folk i,ve met are complaining about the wgt sites connection failings.maybe this is the reason people are staying away from the site because its very frustrating to be halfway through a good match and then some players get dissconnected and then there is no way of getting back into that match when you reconnect,so i would say the admin need a major overhaul if they want folk to continue to play on here

• TopShelf2010
    10,881 Posts
    Tue, Dec 23 2014 8:17 PM

RSS