Forums

Help › Forums

Is this a good idea to stop cheating??

Sun, Nov 16 2014 9:36 AM (58 replies)
  • JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 3:24 PM

My clear understanding is anyone who can crack programs would go for the throat; forget controlling just the speed of the meter, with a computer nerd, they would control where the ball will land, exactly. To suppose otherwise would be laughable.

But if anyone is CURRENTLY using a program crack, well, no way that I could know.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 3:40 PM

Steroids are "just a tool" as well.  After all, the person taking them still has to actually do the lifting.  They and they alone won't bulk you up.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 3:44 PM

What the people who make the cheat device were at pains to point out (in their advert that was seen here for a couple of days) was that this allows you to buy cheaper balls (same goes for some clubs I suppose).  I'd reckon that this would impact most on wgt so surely they are trying very hard to do something about it.

Probably because I don't know what I'm talking about the best route to stopping this thing working seems fairly obvious.  It has been made specifically to work on this site, presumably by looking at how the site works and finding ways of interfering with it.  Why can't WGT just buy/rent it, give it to their boffins to find out how it works and then stop it?  Instead of changing how we all play then put something on the site that specifically attacks part of that program.

I do realise that the reason is probably that this is simplistic, stupid, and wouldn't work. I just wonder why.

How many people are using it?  A company seems to have a product for sale (and that they advertise) that can only be used in this game, so there must be a fair number.

How many shots it would be worth would, I reckon, depend on how good you are.  I'm sure it could improve my scores by more that it would a better player.  If it could be stopped it would probably hit hardest those that have been using it longest.  

I also don't really get the hitting off ding making it of no use, I play some shots like that but I'm still aiming somewhere on the meter.   Does it automatically ding or does it just make the meter go really slowly?

MichaelStroke:
    It would prevent cheating for a couple days, until the cheats were tweaked.

Even if this is true WGT should make every effort to do it imo, if it stopped them working at all it costs the makers time and money, and if they do tweak then why can't wgt?  Lack of customers would be the best way to stop them but, as that seems unlikely, constant expense may work almost as well. Anyway surely WGT have an obligation to give us as fair a game as possible.

Got me thinking, if it could be stopped for a few days which days would be best? 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 4:10 PM

JFidanza:

My clear understanding is anyone who can crack programs would go for the throat; forget controlling just the speed of the meter, with a computer nerd, they would control where the ball will land, exactly. To suppose otherwise would be laughable.

But if anyone is CURRENTLY using a program crack, well, no way that I could know.

JF I am no computer boffin - FAR from it, but I think you have it in one speaking with IT people.  IMHO just for this argument a CE / auto thing would be worth 2 shots (easy) on average over 18 - huge.  The real cheat officianadi would be laughing at that as you would still need knowledge of the game to use those, and still have wind. One guy ages ago was banging in HIO challenges for fun at arguably the hardest Par 3 on WGT....more than a silly CE for that I wager, lol. 

There was a reference made to steroids earlier and CE / auto are those here synergy wise.  Way more out there though- way way more and as I am lead to believe and sadly, whilst it's flash based, always will be.

• grumpyolddom
    384 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 4:35 PM

dedBuNNy:
    Anything that initiates a mouse state in the browser window is open to manipulation, you don't need anything more sophisticated than a macro app that records mouse clicks and also the delay interval. In less the 5 minutes you can have an auto-dinging macro that will ding about 99% of the time. 

IMHO: There is only 1 way to stop the cheating. And WGT will never do it!! The game CANNOT be flash based. 

Most of you don't remember the game LINKS but it was a golf simulator that was put on a disk by Microsoft. (They had the code) and you could not hack the disk. You had to buy the game disk! Also the interesting part of the game was the meter and the way it worked. It was a 3 click meter but it was power based in that the more power you attempted to give your shot the faster the meter returned to the 3rd click (ding) spot. 12 o'clock was the ideal power but you could try and kill a driver but there was a very good chance that you would miss ding and fly your shot.

dedBuNNy:

As far as the meter goes, you need to eliminate the click state meter, that won't kill it totally but have a swing meter that is velocity based, would go a long way. 

Microsoft made its money by selling the game and course disks which they created. Also there were no special balls or clubs, everyone had the same ones but it was the players that learned how to control them and of course putt that were the best and usually won!

Now I know WGT will never do this but it is the ONLY way to stop the cheating. Which IMHO has been going on for a long time. And is only getting worse!

DOM

• shoeshinethis
    1,090 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 4:40 PM

Regarding ready goes.....

How about wgt, add some new style of ready goes. For example if you shoot 6 under for 9 holes you should at least make your creds back.So your just playing the course and not other playas.

This way the cheats would be wgt's problem and not ours.

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 5:34 PM

If you feel that there is cheating in the RG`s, then why do you keep playing them ? Leave the RG`s and credit play tourneys , to the cheaters . As long as you keep playing them , then you keep enabling them to cheat . If you want WGT to address the problem , then you first have to pinch the cash flow .

Once you reduce the cash flow to the RG`s and premium tourneys then you can bet that WGT will handle the situation . Loss of revenue will always get  a company`s attention . But if you are going to keep throwing gas on the fire , then dont cry when you get burned .

• shoeshinethis
    1,090 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 6:18 PM

lonniescott711:

But if you are going to keep throwing gas on the fire , then dont cry when you get burned .

Where did you read that someone was crying? And who got burned?

• thesnakeyes
    892 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 6:23 PM

if the information about these CEs are correct then they take time to set for every shot. the simplest method would be to stop having the tournaments unlimited play and add a 45 second timer. the good players will still get their scores and the cheats wont as they will not have the time to set their engine to work

• derjohvan
    1,137 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 6:51 PM

From what I saw in a U tube post, it slows the meter down

RSS