Help › Forums

CC vs CC Event

Wed, Mar 14 2018 5:17 AM (977 replies)
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 9:07 PM

My entire life I've been a rebel. 

Strike 

Seriously people. Forgo all that makes WGT a nickle. Even one week will make an impact. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 9:17 PM

The "winners" using the term in it's loosest possible sense should not have done this, and if some were knowingly exploiting the par 5s (etc???) neither should they.  It's not rocket science that it transgressed any sporting boundaries, and I don't get how that's even up for discussion.  

A joke with a few mates and beer after is one thing but they should have known better in the arena they were in, and malicious or not it was disrespectful to anyone trying properly.  If they did not realise that then they should now, and apologise for the error (term used with benefit of doubt given for being hugely wrong at best).

Not to forget though that WGT created this pile of shyte, and that's still the main issue away from a few (kids??) who should have known better.

Why anyone was trying that hard to play WGTs XP crock of shyte is beyond me, but that's their business.  Why any one is buying (out of their own pocket) CC passes is also beyond me.  Fine if a few free are used to spend useless credits on something, but I will not be spending a minute watching a video to buy one for some distorted table.....If everyone just used free passes it would stop the beast being fed and active clubs would still show well.  Might even force WGT to do something that might be of more value than the next quick heist that suits only them.

Still can't work out if this whole debacle was naively beyond belief or more senior people who should know better.  No matter really as the company crossed the line by a long way with this latest debacle.  If it were a finance house heads would be rolling for taken money like this, and a major investigation starting with competency tests.

Anyway all and more been said...

• 1yes1no
    223 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 9:36 PM

dedBuNNy:

All 'pleasantries' aside... ;-)

You know what is productive? Finding out the total real world dollar value that was spent by the hundreds of players in what was clearly a futile pursuit, as for all intense purposes the event was compromised by ANCC violating and exploiting WGT's rules. 

Causing financial interference and distress isn't limited to events only in the physical day to day world. It's very very much applicable within the 'virtual world' as well as it relates to finances and transactions.

You might simply view this as people tossing around digital golf balls and spending game credits, well those credits cost real money. ANCC's, what can only be described as, deceitful and approved of actions? They caused financial distress and loss to a great number of players on WGT who in good faith entered into what they thought was a fair competition to be played by like minded CC's and players. 

Is WGT at fault here?

I don't know what the total would be, I'm betting it's in the many thousands of dollars. There are a great number of players out that money... and they aren't happy about it.

I am amazed at this whole affair.  Admitted and brazen cheating realized and rewarded by a business that I hope unwittingly condoned the activity.  WGT should not just ignore consumers, and consumers should not feel that they "just have to take it."  We live in a real world where real money is exchanging in commerce even if just for virtual entertainment.

Have I told everyone about the great little WGT ball that sells for just 10 credits per sleeve?  It keeps my spending reasonable and I play almost as well and often better than I do with 250 credit balls.

WGT I have read often where you say you take cheating seriously, and you actively search and punish them.

Why this should concern WGT is the FTC.

Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act
    (FTC Act) (15 USC 45) prohibits ‘‘unfair or
    deceptive acts or practices in or affecting
    commerce.’’ The prohibition applies to all persons
    engaged in commerce, including banks.

Unfair Acts or Practices

An act or practice is unfair where it
    • Causes or is likely to cause substantial injury to
    consumers,
    • Cannot be reasonably avoided by consumers,
    and
    • Is not outweighed by countervailing benefits to
    consumers or to competition.
    Public policy, as established by statute, regulation,
    or judicial decisions, may be considered with
    all other evidence in determining whether an act or
    practice is unfair.

Deceptive Acts or Practices

An act or practice is deceptive where
    • A representation, omission, or practice misleads
    or is likely to mislead the consumer;
    • A consumer’s interpretation of the representation,
    omission, or practice is considered reasonable
    under the circumstances; and
    • The misleading representation, omission, or practice
    is material.

By default and by design, right now, both the FTC and the Federal Communications Commission share jurisdiction over the Internet and the companies that profit from it.

Though both agencies were created by Congress in the first half of the last century to address specific problems of the time--the FTC to investigate and punish large corporations (trusts) for “unfair methods of competition” and “unfair or deceptive acts or practices,” and the FCC to uphold the public's interest in broadcasting and telecommunications--they have now evolved into unofficial Internet regulators.

This post is remind everyone that though we meet here in a virtual world, we are still governed in the physical world.

• DaveDwingdale
    1,240 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 9:46 PM

Jimbog1964:

The "winners" using the term in it's loosest possible sense should not have done this, and if some were knowingly exploiting the par 5s (etc???) neither should they.  It's not rocket science that it transgressed any sporting boundaries, and I don't get how that's even up for discussion.  

A joke with a few mates and beer after is one thing but they should have known better in the arena they were in, and malicious or not it was disrespectful to anyone trying properly.  If they did not realise that then they should now, and apologise for the error (term used with benefit of doubt given for being hugely wrong at best).

Not to forget though that WGT created this pile of shyte, and that's still the main issue away from a few (kids??) who should have known better.

Why anyone was trying that hard to play WGTs XP crock of shyte is beyond me, but that's their business.  Why any one is buying (out of their own pocket) CC passes is also beyond me.  Fine if a few free are used to spend useless credits on something, but I will not be spending a minute watching a video to buy one for some distorted table.....If everyone just used free passes it would stop the beast being fed and active clubs would still show well.  Might even force WGT to do something that might be of more value than the next quick heist that suits only them.

Still can't work out if this whole debacle was naively beyond belief or more senior people who should know better.  No matter really as the company crossed the line by a long way with this latest debacle.  If it were a finance house heads would be rolling for taken money like this, and a major investigation starting with competency tests.

Anyway all and more been said...

Perfectly stated my feelings on the subject.

• 1yes1no
    223 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 9:49 PM

Tresclub:

I played my first clash round with my free pass.  Went to play a second round and saw I had only two options: Buy a Pass or Quit.  I chose quit, as I am not going to buy a pass just to play in this silly clash.

Congratulations to cadaviar for his unrelentless pursuit of, and winning, the golden "fleece" putter.  Noted in another post, he apparently gaved back the painted putter.

Warren

ps... I wonder how long this post will remain.  Posted at 11:07am PDT

Score History: 59 rounds played Best of Putting!  Unbelievable!

• mgbirish
    4,019 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 10:03 PM

phiber:

bigseanbig:

I’m am defending my club and my members for what happened.  The purpose of the event was to have players buy and use as many CC Passes as possible in the shortest amount of time.  That was the event set up by WGT.  

The CC Clash event gives the impression that it was thought up in a room by a bunch of guys that asked "what's the best way to make as much money as possible out of this event"? "How about lets create a fking Golden putter with "out of this world" stats and hang it above their noses just out of reach and create a event where the only chance of getting that holy grail is to drop shietloads of $ on CC Passes over and over again.

It makes it into a "who can buy the most passes and use them the fastest" and we only did exactly what WGT wanted us to do and made a mockery out of the event. Why would WGT let an event go live without test it first?

Here are the reasons we won and what contributed most to our win based on the system WGT set up:

1)     Huge 250 member club with a few very committed members that could play for 14 hours straight

2)     Basically unlimited cash and credits to burn

3)     Finding the BoP (We actually posted this in the forum during the event)

People say without doing the BoP, we wouldn’t have won and that in finding the loophole we had an advantage, and yes we did have an advantage.  However, if we didn’t find the BoP loophole (someone was going to find it eventually), we would have used ULTRA SPEED UP BOOST for every shot and it would have only taken slightly longer than BoP each round and would have given us the same speed advantage (we thought why do that and give WGT more money, not to mention hits on balls) and people would probably call that “cheating” as well.

The same guy that played 59 rounds of BoP could have and would have played over 100 rounds of a normal 9 hole course (for that putter) with ULTRA SPEED UP BOOST in the time allowed because he calculated it and had the time to play.  We could have gotten over double the amount of points we put up even playing normal 9-hole courses because we had multiple people playing day and night and dropping passes like crazy. The only reason we stopped was because we were well ahead.

I don’t feel bad giving out the Golden Putter because I feel that the member deserved it with his commitment to the game. The only thing i feel bad about is not being able to give a Golden Putter to all my members that participated or anyone else that participated. If you want to know how great the putter is here is a quote “putter doesnt help really lol oh well it looks cool” so next time don’t get sucked in to WGT’s advertising and hype.  I myself had exams so I didn’t participate at all in the event but congratulate my club for winning this “WGT event” if you can call it that. 

total BS

Best I can figure their club played 83 rounds BOP, while the rest were playing the Clash, and not (loopholes) cheating, same difference!

• OopsieMcDuff
    22 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 10:08 PM

You know what -- whatever WGT -- I'm done with this thread and having every post moderated away. Moderate this one why don't ya.

Gratz ANCC on your successful exploitation.  Enjoy yer putter and the win... you earned it. And thank you WGT for robbing the rest of us who played fairly blind..

Just give me my money for the passes back and the balls I burned... 3 or 4 sleeves of the lvl 81 Nikes is about right to cover it all - Thanks.

• 1yes1no
    223 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 10:12 PM

alcaucin:

Oooh, you must Roger......

It's hilarious reading,  the sanctimoniousness is replete.

A few in this thread who I had respect for have shown their true colours and it's not a pretty 'site' right now  <--  spelling intended.

Unfair I think to lambaste this club and by extension all its members ( as some have )

If, this 1st try was a fook up, and it seems it was ( how good were you 'in the sack'  to begin with ? ) ..then blame WGT..members turning on each other to find a scapegoat is an exercise in futility.

Congrats Augusta National CC and to all CCs who participated.

Andy

Andy, perhaps you don't realize that real money was involved in commerce here, and in the real world commerce is governed by laws against unfair and deceptive practices even if the actions were unintentional.

People feel like they did not get fair value for their money (credits) and they are not wrong.

• 1yes1no
    223 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 10:31 PM

wilducrest:

Wontonamo:

wgt are to blame for not correctly invalidating the erroneous scores and giving out the prize to the incorrect club.

the cc is to blame for allowing it to happen in the first place without regard to its own integrity.

the cc owner coming out with flippant remarks about the whole matter and not disavowing this behaviour is callous and lacks common decency in not turning down the win and gift.

as for the collusion in cc regarding the loophole, well that just shows the integrity of the club comes into question.

for anyone to defend any of these actions speaks for itself in volumes.

Tom,

I will defend it. This is my CC and the owner is a friend. I don't know much about the player in question but I do know Sean (bigseanbig) He is a class act and always has been. I am in the CC skype chat. There was no collusion as far as a loophole. There are also members of other CC's that are in there. We have it set up as an ALT SHOT chatroom to try and encourage play. So how would the CC be colluding with other CC's in that chat? If you people cared about real issues as much as you care about this POS putter in fantasy golf, this world would be a much better place. If ya'll aint with me you are against me, so if you have anything bad to say about my friends, you can kiss it. We have been and will be fine without you so NBD. 

Wil 

You don't get why people are upset?  Perhaps it was due to purchasing something while not realizing that it was not the fair competition that had been represented.

Perhaps you would rather they complain to the FTC at the online complaint link?

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/media/video-0054-how-file-complaint

I would prefer that it be taken care of in-house with the members and WGT getting together to do the right thing, but perhaps that is just me.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Oct 11 2014 10:37 PM

Mantis and Wontonamo are making the most sense in a dignified manner.

RSS