Forums

Help › Forums

WAKE UP WGT FFS

Sat, Sep 13 2014 1:47 AM (181 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 4:14 PM

+1 to bhoese's suggestions here: surely it would make multi-accounting far less attractive if the number of RRs was increased dramatically before a multi can get to the point of playing for substantial stakes.

And Shoe, I do think you should allocate some focus on the Hack tier. I can understand your reasoning not to, but this is exactly the place where new converts to the site are likely to get most disillusioned, seeing scores that they don't have a hope of posting themselves. From a business perspective, you need to encourage your genuine new players to persist and improve, rather than feel they'll never have a chance to compete in events.

And I agree with fmagnets' points as well: the marketing dept. promoting the scores of players with patently dubious histories undermines the credibility of WGT and the faith of loyal, honest players. Surely it's worth even a cursory look at the players before you craft these news releases?

However, I do want to point out that WGT does act on concerns about multis. 

The two players noted in this other thread (and mentioned here also), were 'promoted' by WGT to TL tier (perhaps where they'd originated from... ?) on 7/9 (as was another frequently noted player), right after concerns about their legitimacy had been raised here in the forums, and complaints had been forwarded.

Where WGT seems to make its own job harder is by making it challenging to tell if any action has been taken. Those players remain showing on the leaderboards in question. Does their 'promotion' mean it's certain that they won't get prizes from the Legend tourney when the event is validated? Or, as it appears on the surface, are they allowed to transgress once, but get bumped up so they can't do it again? How is that supposed to make legitimate players feel? And should legitimate players carry on grinding to try and beat scores that don't really belong in their tier?

There seem to be categories of accounts that have had action taken on them. A forum tip I've seen in the past is to search the Find Players mechanism, and if someone doesn't come up, it means the player's account is suspended. And then there's this other level where they get bumped up (to the tier where they belong), but without any apparent penalty for attempting to cheat the system and other players.

Surely more transparency around this whole process would be helpful...

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 4:27 PM

I have floated the idea already to WGT of only letting players win credits once they have been verified. What is the general consensus on this? Is it overkill? I'm pretty sure that once a devoted multi-accounter had used up their only 2 friend's IDs then they would give up. 

Or perhaps limit any non-verified player's potential winnings to 25cr per 9-holes of an event. Enough for new, genuine players to cover ball costs and have something to play for, but of little interest to a multi.

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 4:52 PM

Corwyn:

+1 to bhoese's suggestions here: surely it would make multi-accounting far less attractive if the number of RRs was increased dramatically before a multi can get to the point of playing for substantial stakes.

And Shoe, I do think you should allocate some focus on the Hack tier. I can understand your reasoning not to, but this is exactly the place where new converts to the site are likely to get most disillusioned, seeing scores that they don't have a hope of posting themselves. From a business perspective, you need to encourage your genuine new players to persist and improve, rather than feel they'll never have a chance to compete in events.

And I agree with fmagnets' points as well: the marketing dept. promoting the scores of players with patently dubious histories undermines the credibility of WGT and the faith of loyal, honest players. Surely it's worth even a cursory look at the players before you craft these news releases?

However, I do want to point out that WGT does act on concerns about multis. 

The two players noted in this other thread (and mentioned here also), were 'promoted' by WGT to TL tier (perhaps where they'd originated from... ?) on 7/9 (as was another frequently noted player), right after concerns about their legitimacy had been raised here in the forums, and complaints had been forwarded.

Where WGT seems to make its own job harder is by making it challenging to tell if any action has been taken. Those players remain showing on the leaderboards in question. Does their 'promotion' mean it's certain that they won't get prizes from the Legend tourney when the event is validated? Or, as it appears on the surface, are they allowed to transgress once, but get bumped up so they can't do it again? How is that supposed to make legitimate players feel? And should legitimate players carry on grinding to try and beat scores that don't really belong in their tier?

There seem to be categories of accounts that have had action taken on them. A forum tip I've seen in the past is to search the Find Players mechanism, and if someone doesn't come up, it means the player's account is suspended. And then there's this other level where they get bumped up (to the tier where they belong), but without any apparent penalty for attempting to cheat the system and other players.

Surely more transparency around this whole process would be helpful...

If we can find information that we can take action on we do.  It is not always that easy. We can't always find the smoking gun.  I wish we could take action based on gut feeling or what players perceive as absolute proof.  However as a business we need to be a little more careful.

- WGTdbloshoe

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 5:02 PM

fmagnets:
    I have floated the idea already to WGT of only letting players win credits once they have been verified. What is the general consensus on this? Is it overkill?

Too many players won't bother with the verify thing. The idea about the number of rounds could work, though. Just tie the entries into a top level tournament to the number of RRs a player has.

IMO, AS also should be taken into account in some fashion. Not sure how it would work but there's a lot of TL's out there posing as Legends because of AS.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 6:11 PM

fmagnets:
    have floated the idea already to WGT of only letting players win credits once they have been verified. What is the general consensus on this? Is it overkill? I'm pretty sure that once a devoted multi-accounter had used up their only 2 friend's IDs then they would give up. 

This is a good thing..WGT should take notice.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 6:14 PM

YankeeJim:
    IMO, AS also should be taken into account in some fashion. Not sure how it would work but there's a lot of TL's out there posing as Legends because of AS.

I assume you mean Legends that are (or could/should) be TL's?

I/e honing their skills in AS, and cleaning up in Legend Tourneys?

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 8:33 PM

Corwyn:
    +1 to bhoese's suggestions

+2

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 8:57 PM

MBaggese:

fmagnets:
    have floated the idea already to WGT of only letting players win credits once they have been verified. What is the general consensus on this? Is it overkill? I'm pretty sure that once a devoted multi-accounter had used up their only 2 friend's IDs then they would give up. 

lol i disagree no way would i ever send my ID with my SSN on it to anyone 

• Mesmorizer
    614 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 9:10 PM

spdemon:

MBaggese:

fmagnets:

lol i disagree no way would i ever send my ID with my SSN on it to anyone 

Totally agree with this poster, I would never share my SIN number with anyone but tax man, banks I go to. Drivers license I have no problems with.

Mes.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 9:13 PM

-Don't recall WGT asking for your SSN?

Or did I miss something?

RSS