Sun, Oct 3 2010 11:38 AM

isolater:
    can you post a link  to it  please

Ladders are at WGTls.co.uk

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:21 AM

Faterson:
    Everyone should be forced to finish the round (later alone) OR voluntarily take a (small) reputation hit.

Seems contradictory of your previous thoughts on this subject, where you made it very clear that you should not have to finish alone, after someone else drops, leaving you as the 'victim'. If you are forced to finish each dropped round alone, or take a reputation hit, it sure seems a lot easier to just force all rounds to be finished...... And again, forcing a score to be posted for each round will STOP quitting, not deter it.

THIS, is where he solution lies.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:26 AM

andyson:
    Tying quitting multiplayer games to sandbagging is illogical.

Not at all. There are good reasons (at least, to them) for players to drop a round to prevent both good and bad scores from being posted. And again, to make each and every round count, is the truest way to STOP quitters. They would have NO (zero, nada, nilch) motivation to quit, knowing they would have no option but to finish the game before being allowed to continue to another.

Quitting a round does 1 thing an 1 thing only. It allows a player to drop a round and prevent the score from counting. Take away this drop/end round 'feature', and the problem goes away. Leave it there as a means of exiting the game when necessary, but never ever let it allow someone to NOT have to finish the round.

Of course, (again) this would not apply to practice and non-ranked rounds.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:49 AM

VanHalenLover:
    Seems contradictory of your previous thoughts on this subject, where you made it very clear that you should not have to finish alone, after someone else drops, leaving you as the 'victim'.

There's not a trace of contradiction, of course. First you need to distinguish between quitters and their victims (= Step 1). "Victims" are of course absolved from any obligation to finish a disrupted round; that's exactly where WGT bungled the first time around. In Step 2, the "quitter" (voluntary or involuntary, doesn't matter!) decides whether to finish the round alone, or take a small reputation hit.

This has been posted in this forum since December 2009. I wish people inclined to criticize that proposal would first at least take the trouble to read the proposal before posting irrelevant comments on it.  

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2010 12:34 PM

Faterson:
    Victims are of course absolved from any obligation to finish a disrupted round;

But you said this.......

Faterson:
    Everyone should be forced to finish the round (later alone) OR voluntarily take a (small) reputation hit.

Very contradictory.

Faterson:
    This has been posted in this forum since December 2009.

Almost a year, and they still aren't willing to try it. Wonder why, lol.

Faterson:
    I wish people inclined to criticize that proposal would first at least take the trouble to read the proposal before posting irrelevant comments on it.

I've read it, which is how I came to the conclusion that it would never work; and also how I noticed your own contradiction. Just because someone doesn't like your idea, doesn't mean they didn't read it.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2010 12:39 PM

There is no contradiction at all, as has just been explained in all clarity. If you're unable to think clearly, it's not my fault.

(Of course, the usual device of trolls is pretending not to understand, so I'm not surprised at all.)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:23 PM

VanHalenLover:

andyson:
    Tying quitting multiplayer games to sandbagging is illogical.

Not at all. There are good reasons (at least, to them) for players to drop a round to prevent both good and bad scores from being posted.

I disagree, there are many reasons, tying quitting multiplayer games to sandbagging is illogical. One is a bagger is just as likely not to quit so they can post a high score.

In case you hadn't noticed, the quitting everyone complains about is leaving a multiplayer game.  If a solo player wants to end their round, its fine with me.

Still waiting for you to put all your changes or guiding principles to solve quitting in one concise, 75 word or less statement so we can compare it side by side with  Faterson's.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:24 PM

Perhaps you could then be so kind as to help clear my mind for me. You are correct, I am a bit confused - but absolutely not pretending. Can you PLEASE help me to understand the difference in those two comments? You know, the first one that said:

"Victims are of course absolved from any obligation to finish a disrupted round;"

.......and the second statement, that said:

"Everyone should be forced to finish the round (later alone) OR voluntarily take a (small) reputation hit."

I'm a bit confused as to which scenarios wgt should recognize the victims as victims, and in which they should consider them part of 'Everyone', and force them to decide between finishing or taking a reputation hit. 

Any explanation you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:29 PM

andyson:
    Still waiting for you to put all your changes or guiding principles to solve quitting in one concise, 75 word or less statement so we can compare it side by side with  Faterson's.

Could you please explain to me where this 75 word limit came from? I don't remember seeing this in the Terms of Service anywhere, and we surely don't want to appear to be dictatorial in nature, now do we?  You might also wish to do a quick word count on the aforementioned dissertation that you so wish for me to enter into a contest with. Will you be asking that author to re-release his proposal in 75 words or less?

Sorry if this sounds short or crass, but a battle of wits against an unarmed man is of NO interest to me whats-so-ever.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Oct 6 2010 1:23 AM

VanHalenLover:
    Any explanation you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

The explanation has already been given 10 thousand times, including above on this very webpage, but people whose only desire is to troll and abuse the forums will pretend as if it was never given.

Once again: if you're left alone on the course by the quitters, you can quit that round without any penalty, because it's a single-player round by then. But if you abandon someone else on the course, you must choose between either finishing the round alone, or taking a small reputation hit. This has been posted here in all clarity since December 2009.

RSS