Forums

Help › Forums

is there anyone left that don't quit

Tue, Oct 12 2010 1:13 AM (179 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 2 2010 2:43 PM

Greggatshack:
    So, whether the reward is credits or experience points or something we haven't thought of yet, the important thing is to make it more attractive to finish (if you can finish) than to quit.

And, you can finish every time. It's an option given to you by the server every time – even if you'd have to finish playing that particular round on your own.

But, the point is that it is possible to finish every round, which is why it's a laughable fallacy to keep regurgitating all the time, "WGT won't be able to distinguish why the disconnection occurred, blah, blah, blah!!!"

Nope, they won't, but they don't ever need to! That's the whole point.  

• Greggatshack
    21 Posts
    Sat, Oct 2 2010 2:45 PM

Faterson:
    You've got that upside down: Ladders are the site where you can go if you don't want to see quitters.

LOL, I think Tigerwids was suggesting people go to the ladders site and read the forums there about quitters... hang on... maybe he wasn't, I've just had a look and cannot find any threads about quitting there... probably because it isn't an issue as people there don't quit!

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 2 2010 2:49 PM

I've been a Ladders member for about 16 months, and in all that time, I believe I have seen about 5 or 7 very short threads on quitters, naming the quitter publicly, and warning the other Ladder players. That's it; it was sufficient to deter others not to play with that site member, and to deter other potential quitters. Not to mention the Karma rating, which is an automatic deterrent.

So, that's 5 quitters threads in 16 months... whereas you frequently get 5 multiple-pages quitters threads per day here on the main site.

• isolater
    426 Posts
    Sat, Oct 2 2010 3:15 PM

Faterson:

I've been a Ladders member for about 16 months, and in all that time, I believe I have seen about 5 or 7 very short threads on quitters, naming the quitter publicly, and warning the other Ladder players. That's it; it was sufficient to deter others not to play with that site member, and to deter other potential quitters. Not to mention the Karma rating, which is an automatic deterrent.

So, that's 5 quitters threads in 16 months... whereas you frequently get 5 multiple-pages quitters threads per day here on the main site.

the whole point is  nobody should have to  go to another  site affiliated with wgt or  not  just to play a  simple game .  This is the first site i've ever been on that tell you to go to another site  so you can come back to their site to play a game its sillyness  .why not have  a place for fun and a place for idiots that are anal  about their avg.  on one site

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 2 2010 3:48 PM

isolater:
    the whole point is  nobody should have to  go to another  site

You don't have to, Dave, but you can, if all you wish is to avoid quitters. It's that simple!    There are almost 1,500 players registered on the Ladders site, so there'll be no shortage of opponents and potential new WGT friends to meet.

Also, the Ladders site offers a variety of tournament formats not available here on the main site at all. The Ladders site is all about multi-player format – you always play a tournament round with someone else, 1 to 3 other WGT golfers – whereas the main site here focuses on single-player mode, something I personally find boring (that is, playing your tournament rounds alone).

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Oct 2 2010 4:12 PM

Greggatshack:
    So, whether the reward is credits or experience points or something we haven't thought of yet, the important thing is to make it more attractive to finish (if you can finish) than to quit.

FWIW, I completed a 3 player game earlier today and we each earned around 370 experience points.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sat, Oct 2 2010 5:12 PM

Hey Gregg,

I don't mind a reward system for finishing play, but in most cases this still will not address the quitting issue. The real issue here, is the fact that wgt allows credit based wagers in particular matches. In and of itself this is not an issue, but the fact that there are people who wish to try to cheat the system are the real cause if the quitters issues. You can see it in the score history for these players, if you get interested enough to look into it more. 

A reputation or reward system will do nothing to deter them, as they are only interested in stealing credits from others. They get in matches, etc to practice and hone their game, and quit in order to prevent an increase in tier. This, when they play a credit-wager type game, they are a lower tier, have shorter tees, and the same experience as an upper tier aplayer, giving them a distinct advantage. 

The soundest and easiest way to stop this is to force each and every player to finish each and every round, regardless of whether it is alone, or still partnered with others. That has 2 big benefits:

1) Once players know that dropping a round will not allow to prevent finishing it or marking its score, they will stop.

2) The only way to manipulate the system would then be manipulate scores to prevent advancing in tiers. Right now, they don't have to do this, they can exit the game and WGT never knows they even played. Score manipulation is easy to spot, and then WGT can put measures in place to address it.

Oh, and the technology in already in place for this, ALL they have to do it remove the 'quit/end round' feature and VOILA! problem solved.......

Of course, this is only for ranked rounds. Practice rounds are just that, practice - and should be left as is.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 2 2010 6:20 PM

VanHalenLover:
    The soundest and easiest way to stop this is to force each and every player to finish each and every round

Not really, that would be needlessly dictatorial. Everyone should be forced to finish the round (later alone) OR voluntarily take a (small) reputation hit.

Such a small hit on a player's reputation score would never hurt someone who only needs to quit exceptionally (no matter for what reason). But, habitual quitters would really suffer under this arrangement – they would become instantly recognizable for everyone, which is exactly where the solution to the quitters issue lies.  

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Oct 2 2010 7:08 PM

VanHalenLover:
    They get in matches, etc to practice and hone their game, and quit in order to prevent an increase in tier.

Tying quitting multiplayer games to sandbagging is illogical.  A sandbagger is more likely to continue a multiplayer round after hitting a bad shot to raise his average.  In fact he's likely to intentionally miss shots and complete a ranked multiplayer round to shoot higher scores and remain in a lower tier.

Many multiplayer games are played in practice mode which have nothing to do with sandbagging because the scores aren't  recorded.

• isolater
    426 Posts
    Sun, Oct 3 2010 9:02 AM

Faterson:
    The Ladders site is all about multi-player format – you always play a tournament round with someone else, 1 to 3 other WGT golfers – whereas the main site here focuses on single-player mode, something I personally find boring (that is, playing your tournament rounds alone).

i guess  i  will have to check it out  can you post a link  to it  please

RSS