Sun, Oct 3 2010 8:31 AM (51 replies)
  • harveee
    3 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 11:22 AM

Seconded !!!

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 11:27 AM

Yak, fine for the company to want to make more money, but I think its fair to say that WGT stopped making money on the majority of us Legends a long time ago.  Most of us have all the credits we need.  Actually, I see all these "improvements" as ways to get the vast majority of Lenends out, thats just me though being paranoid.  Asides from a new challenge what was in this last release for us?  We have no premium tourney, fewer stroke play tourneys, a disadvantage in Ready Go's and MPC (dont be mistaken Legends are supposed to be more skilled, but TM's are also pretty skilled hitting 3 less clubs into most greens, advantage them).  What they created is basically a separation in the game for Legends.

While some of those things I listed are being addressed, they should have been accompanied with the last release when they changes were mad.  Its better to plan out then have to constantly react like re-opening the pro shop, coming out with a new ball, etc.

I think the gentleman with the great response to yours a few before me can agree that more planning will result in less reaction needed and a smoother roll-out.  I spoke to someone at WGT saying we are not seeing the total picture, just pieces.  That is all the more reason for them to share this total picture, it can keep more people playing and less people getting pissed off with each release, which rarely follows the roadmap.  People dont mind the wait as long as they can look forward to where they are going, right now its like standing in line at the DMV.

This ball idea is setting up for a huge dissapointment.  I can imagine 4 dots on distance, none on spin, none on feel and not lasting very long.  Hopefully that is not the case.  It also makes no sense in a system where levels not tiers dictate available equipment.  Why a ball and not a driver?  Balls need to be replaced, drivers dont.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 11:40 AM

VilaRestal:
    Not to mention it's very dishonorable to update your software so that previously purchased products become less useful.

Happens all the time in gaming. For example, in WoW, new expansions will have new content that allows players to attain better armor and weapons.  With better and better armor and weapons becoming available with each expansion, the older stuff is no longer any good by comparison.

VilaRestal:
    Imagine if Microsoft released a service pack for all versions of windows that made them run 10% slower and then charged to have it patched. It would be a scandel and rightly so and would forever dent their reputation and market share. Such behaviour is bordering on extortion, which is illegal with good reason.

MSFT does it all the time.  A very basic example would be the fact that MSFT no longer supports its older operating systems.  By "support," I am not referring to just customer service, although that is discontinued as well.  I mean they will no longer release any software updates.  If a virus comes out that screws Windows 2000 users over, it's not MSFT's business to fix the problem, according to MSFT.

If you want support or the ability to use the latest and greatest gizmos, you have to ditch Windows 2000 and even, in some cases (e.g. using >4 gb of RAM), Windows XP, and upgrade to Windows XP 64-bit, Vista, or 7.

VilaRestal:
    I honestly expect such behaviour to be detrimental to their profits in the long run.

Some of their behavior is detrimental to their long-term profits, but not all of their behavior is, and certainly not a ball that nobody here has seen nor knows the price of.  These things could be 112 credits a sleeve for all we know, which is what we're already paying for balls anyways.  Concern over what price they will be is fine, but no need to break out the guillotine just yet.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:02 PM

Charle, to be fair, what else comes out with the expansion packs?  Its not just weapons and armor right?  New continents, new quests, new items, new enemies, expanded level caps.  The consumer is receiving much for their purchase correct? 

MSFT- Do older versions of MS still work when a new one replaces it?  Yes.  Do you get later greater things on new releases?  Yes.  Is it not the recommendation from every computer guy that you should be running multiple virus programs?  Yes.  Is it a new thing that MS comes out with better versions every few years?  NO.  Its the only way for them to survive.  That arguement would be like me complaining to Sony about my old PS1 not playing PS3 games.  Its old technology that still works, but is not up to date.

Charle, you are helping with the ball argument.  Why is there a secret?  Why not say what the pricing will be and what the stats are.  If they are releasing it to quell our complaints, why not let us have our feedback before they come out with it.  Whats the sense in doing it this way, for them to probably have to correct it, again and waste more money in the process? 

Are not all the examples you gave an option for the consumer?  Whereas this was a mandatory change?

**BTW** I dont play WoW, I got that from just checking Amazon what comes with the expansion pack.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:16 PM

neildiamond11790:
    Charle, you are helping with the ball argument.  Why is there a secret?  Why not say what the pricing will be and what the stats are.  If they are releasing it to quell our complaints, why not let us have our feedback before they come out with it.  Whats the sense in doing it this way, for them to probably have to correct it, again and waste more money in the process?

Has WGT ever been 100% upfront about what changes they are going to make?  No, not really.

They're coming out with new clubs too, according to the list of upcoming changes.  Nobody's bitching about what they better or better not be, or how much they're going to cost.  But everybody's furious over the ball!  I'm curious about it too, and I want WGT to keep in mind that they are attempting to help legends out, so it better be a significant improvement over the GI-SD, but why demand that they disclose details about the ball and not the clubs too?  Granted I've only been here a short while, but I haven't ever seen people get this mad about a change that hasn't happened yet and that they know little or nothing about.

Put in your two cents and hope for the best... and *** at them if they screw it up... but at least give them a chance?  Geeze.  :P

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:31 PM

1 - We are not getting a new driver - Live with it

2- A new ball is better than nothing - Change your charts and live with it.

3 - WGT will never be upfront with changes. - Live with it.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:34 PM

Yep... ball improvements are inevitable, so it was really only a matter of time before balls with 3-5 distance were going to be added.  We are going to have to deal with them eventually, so we might as well try them out now.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:35 PM

Charle, because one day they want feedback pre-release, the next day they dont.  One day they come out with something, the next day they are already trying to correct it.  Another day the address the issue, but propose something nobody seems to agree with.  This is a BETA game supposedly, let us help with the game pre-release.  As of now they are wasting money and time making too many corrections, and getting bad publicity in the forums because of it.

They are not thinking ahead with this ball.  As mentioned by many others, its gonna make even less sense for the club to say 170yds, when it will go 179 with the new ball.  The club yardages should be based on club stats plus ball stats, i.e. a 170yd club with a 2spin ball, the club now reads 166yds (or whatever they figure the average should be)  There are too many issues involved with just throwing the ball in the mix.  Figure it out the right way the first time, and take the money you would have spent making corrections this past month and apply it to good things for the game.

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:48 PM

CharlemagneRH:

Yep... ball improvements are inevitable, so it was really only a matter of time before balls with 3-5 distance were going to be added.  We are going to have to deal with them eventually, so we might as well try them out now.

That right because the status quo is not acceptable. Still not playing MPC against the "sandbag" tier. WGT get off you cans we should have this ball already.

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:58 PM

I personally have played this since the first month.  I have only played three balls since it started.  The standard, GI-2D, and the Tour GI-SD.  I know the yardage each club goes and how it performs for the most part but each change has taking me 40-50 rounds to really figure out the changes. 

I have played the four iron sets.  Starters, tour starters, G10's masters and g10 pros.  The learning curve with irons has been just as difficult and so I am in favor of the golf balls.  At least for making it fair.  As long as the feel remains the same or increases. 

I just hope that we get these changes by the end of the week.  My guess is that it will be Friday with the new tournaments.

RSS