Forums

Help › Forums

WGT: New balls

rated by 0 users
Sun, Oct 3 2010 8:31 AM (51 replies)
  • MJS74
    341 Posts
    Sun, Sep 26 2010 4:40 AM

So WGT are going to offer new balls in a release (ETA as yet unknown). These will add distance and be available to Level 30+

Questions....

Will they be so fast on the meter that no-one without superhuman reflexes and a consistent meter to match will be able to hit them?

Will they only be open to Legends? (If not, as masters etc don't need extra distance to reach greens in 2...why bother?)

Will they add a consistent amount of extra distance?

Could club yardages be changed to reflect balls being used?  If this were realistic a pro would know how far they hit clubs and not have to constantly think, "7 iron, 155 + a bit for the ball"

When will they be released (roughly)? Next few releases is incredibly vague.  Next week, month, year?

Without answers to these the latest update announcement looks ill-conceived.  Again.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Sun, Sep 26 2010 6:34 PM

MJS74:
    Could club yardages be changed to reflect balls being used?  If this were realistic a pro would know how far they hit clubs and not have to constantly think, "7 iron, 155 + a bit for the ball"

I too would like to know if this can be done.  It would make me slightly more interested in purchasing distance balls, if my clubs maximum yardages updated on the screen.

I'd also be interested to know why WGT and some posters think offering a ball that will add an average of 20 yds to your driver is more "realistic" then just adding a driver that's 20 yds longer then the current longest driver. 

I'm guessing(only used them a few times during the sale) that the GI-SD adds about 10 yds to the Super Tri, I gotta believe the new Wham-O Super GI-SDD ball will add at least 20 yds, thus making the Super Tri that 300 yd average driver that so many dread.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sun, Sep 26 2010 7:06 PM

As long as legends are playing legends only in tourney's and MPC's..it wont matter. And the Legends will have alittle more fun.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Sun, Sep 26 2010 7:17 PM

danohi50:
    And the Legends will have alittle more fun.

I'd have a heck of a lot more fun with a longer driver, than having to pull out the slide rule on every frigging shot :-)

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sun, Sep 26 2010 7:33 PM

Mem11:

danohi50:
    And the Legends will have alittle more fun.

I'd have a heck of a lot more fun with a longer driver, than having to pull out the slide rule on every frigging shot :-)

I second that, give me a legend driver not a ball that goes longer.  That ball will probably have a durability of 1 or maybe a half (who knows).  This is good for WGT because the ball would wear out and we would have to keep buying new balls at a higher price instead of a driver that you would only have to buy once.  This is just a money maker scheme in my opinion.

• Yakublue
    125 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 6:02 AM

How dare a profit maximising entity such as WGT connive to improve its income streams!

The Yak

• VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 2:48 PM

Because it's short-sighted and might well have the opposite effect: drive people away from the site all together.

Not to mention it's very dishonorable to update your software so that previously purchased products become less useful. Imagine if Microsoft released a service pack for all versions of windows that made them run 10% slower and then charged to have it patched. It would be a scandel and rightly so and would forever dent their reputation and market share. Such behaviour is bordering on extortion, which is illegal with good reason.

Maximising profits is only acceptable in certain ways and only wise if it doesn't drive away existing customers and/or deter new ones.

I honestly expect such behaviour to be detrimental to their profits in the long run. Businesses that try to screw existing customers for as much as they can get don't last long. What will they try next when the revenue stream from this scheme dries up? And then the next one and the next and the next. Each making less and less.

If they spent more time opening up the other courses and giving driving ranges and putting greens and multiple saved games then there could be a case for charging more.

As it is, it looks like an unfinished piece of work and WGT seem to be in no hurry to finish it before trying to charge as much as they can for it. Successful businesses do not work that way. It's the business plan of a fly-by-night operation intending to fold after embezzling as much as they can first.

I just hope WGT realise this before it's too late and sack the manager that keeps coming up with these ideas and employ someone who knows what their doing. It has the makings of a great site and a great game. It would be a shame to lose it.

• bryan24
    68 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 9:27 AM
    ^^^^ good post
  • shaunburdis
    6 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 10:31 AM

i totally agree we need more courses ya can only go around a course so many times before ya lose interest well said mate

• Angeltotti20
    296 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 11:21 AM

I'd love to be able to modify the distance my clubs are supposed to go. I mean, for example, the 8 iron (145 y) that always ends up being short. I'd like to change that 145 to 142. On the other hand, my 9 iron usually goes a bit further than 130 (say 132).

I think that would help players improve their game and do not always commit the same mistake. And if new balls with extra distance are coming, that woud also help to a better adaptation.

RSS