Forums

Help › Forums

700 CREDIT NIKE'S

Sun, Sep 7 2014 12:07 AM (94 replies)
  • MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Wed, Mar 5 2014 12:03 PM

As long as people keep buying them, WGT will keep putting them out.  We essentially have votes with our credits.

All I know is that the day I need those kinds of balls to compete is the day I walk away and don't look back.

• eggiesworld
    296 Posts
    Fri, Mar 7 2014 12:38 PM

These balls are deadly once you take the time to learn them. If you just bought one sleeve to try them out you are not gonna like this ball. I don't have an abundance of credits to spare but at least these balls give me the possibility to compete, which is all I want. Like someone mentioned before they are not much more than the black pro's. They are definitely a much much better ball. They stop. Good luck, Happy hitting.

My 7 bucks

Jamey

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sat, Mar 8 2014 3:06 AM

Yesterday l received the level 40 Reds as a gift, 1st try with them and a 31 @ Kiawah, could have been so much better, putting let me down.

Very impressed but a 650 a pop, the price is not for me.

• troyronaldson
    382 Posts
    Sat, Mar 8 2014 3:14 AM

Not bad for a pixel although the life could be a little more longer

• garygun
    80 Posts
    Sun, Apr 27 2014 11:24 AM

With the expensive equipment producing ridiculously low scoring the only "realistic" thing about this game is WGT`s rush to make it too expensive for the average person. I wonder if wgt is finding their revenues dropping as the majority of members spend less and less as the costs escalate and their ability to compete, (and probably their enjoyment of playing), diminishes. As has been suggested a number of times the 'top' players who have large amounts of credits can buy all the new expensive equipment but this does not give WGT any cash flow. They rely on the rest of us to buy new credits and from what members are saying that cash flow is in jeopardy.

I joined WGT about 5 years ago because I am unable to golf anymore and it was the most realistic game I had found. I suppose some people enjoy shooting 56 in a virtual US OPEN but I would rather have the experience of the "real" OPEN and have to play my absolute best to shoot 70.

I suppose  WGT`s uneven lies is their attempt to raise scoring but having golfed for 40 years I never found a lie in the rough or a bunker that was impossible. Their degree of difficulty is far too severe.

The WGT starter equipment reminded me of  how I started golfing. I started playing with a set of Mcgregor`s Jack Nicklaus golden bear clubs, (pkg. w/putter&bag), and J100 golf balls. The "woods" had plastic faces and the muscle back irons were totally unforgiving, (the long irons were rarely attempted). The balls were $1.99/doz. and I doubt they were even round. I used those clubs for 12 years and dusted them off  for my oldest son as a starter set. As bad as the equipment was I loved the game, the challenge.

Apologise for rambling on . My back kept me up most of the night.

Perhaps WGT needs to add more tiers so more players have a chance to be competitive against players of similar abilities. They certainly have far too many players for 8 tiers.

Just my thoughts.

• noname129
    392 Posts
    Fri, Aug 29 2014 6:21 AM

Very true about the trend SweetiePie.  Having played this new ball for several games now I have found shots not dinged perfectly have a greater penalty than with some other balls.  The increase in distance and greater spin will cause errant shots to go places you may have never been before. (lol).  The end result, for average players may be a slightly more frequent perfect ding but missed ding shot will be penalized more sever.  Just saying!

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, Aug 31 2014 11:52 PM

From what I gather from one of the best players here on WGT was that the extra distance number rating increase isn't so much when you're using any BS. (in a neutral wind condition)

Now, in GENERAL terms, let's say in a no wind condition for argument's sake, a ball with a 5.5 distance w/ back spin will have higher trajectory and land shorter then if no spin was applied.

But have tests been mapped that if a ball with less distance (e.g. 4.5) , in the same conditions and same BS, go longer or shorter than the 5.5?

BS and higher traj. w/ a high distance ball may mean you simply go higher and not all the time farther.

What I have heard is that the real extra distance rating from these balls may kick in when you add a little, or a lot more TS. (In general conditions)

-----

[Yes, BS and a strong tailwind will give higher traj. and the wind may push is father because it's up there longer, and that's when you may get super long drives.]

[also, a frontwind and BS w/ a high distance ball may mean the ball gets pushed by the frontwind so it will not go as far, esp. w/ the added distance the ball goes higher and so, much shorter]  AS SHOWN IN THE VIDEO*** A BALL W/ TOP SPIN GOES FARTHER IN A FRONTWIND than with back spin..

For more of my yappin' about matching proshop balls' spin ratings w/ irons go HERE and also see my take on how and when I take advantage of the extra distance ratings.

Individual results may vary...

• TarheelsRule
    5,487 Posts
    Thu, Sep 4 2014 12:23 PM

I use the R11 irons and while I do agree with you somewhat about the distance on the Nike balls, that isn't the selling point.

With the high level legend WGT balls, costing about 155 per sleeve, I can hit my 3 iron 225 yards if I use full backspin.  If I want 5 more yards, I can ease off the backspin a little and get it.   With the Nike, I can use 1/2 backspin and hit it the same 225 probably 227 and it carries and stops on a dime.   The difference between a ball that stops within 2 feet of hitting with a 3 iron and one that has to roll out 5 yards is a big deal.

In addition if you want to control distance a little, you can jack up the back spin and stop quicker at the loss of a few yards, take all the b/s off and get 5 more yards and lose very little stopping power.

The new balls are making the game too easy.   If I could putt I could shoot 55 every round with ease.

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Sat, Sep 6 2014 2:26 PM

These balls have most certainly improved my game.

What I really like about them is that they allow one to vary the spin to cover the in between yardages. That, IMO, is the greatest benefit of these 700 credit balls (they are not expensive, I gain credits for every dozen I buy through RG winnings)

Of course, making the front right positions at 7 Bethpage and 9 Oakmont into routine birdies also helps lower the scores a lot

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Sep 6 2014 3:23 PM

derekortt:

These balls have most certainly improved my game.

Of course, making the front right positions at 7 Bethpage and 9 Oakmont into routine birdies also helps lower the scores a lot

I thank you, as I'm am someone who's reading good advice and using the info for my games.

Can you give some insight as to where you're moving the spin dot say on Oak #9 with no wind? or Oak. #9 with a 10 MPH tailwind?

TYIA

RSS