Forums

Help › Forums

As Promised... More Starter Club Tests

Mon, May 5 2014 12:41 PM (52 replies)
  • DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Tue, Feb 11 2014 9:11 PM

Okay - here it goes ......  with the Tour SD balls.

Normal- not too bad - better than I expected with a 42.

Crazy (read SADISTIC) greens - not helped by the interference of a few squirrels (aka trees) and  a lovely 5 putt -  a smoking hot 49.

And even though I never play UL figured I would give it a whirl.... 45.  Which really should have been a 42 except my brain is trying to hit 2 ft putts with a 10 ft meter and that really makes the ball hop right over the hole and keep trucking when it is a 30 ft meter.  

Edit: The Craziness greens probably wouldn't have been so bad except for missing my normal putter with a scale less than 30 feet.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Wed, Feb 12 2014 5:45 AM

These starter club tournaments are TOUGH, and playuing them you can see how WGT was intended, turns WGT from boring dart throwing sub 30's for 9 holes to having to think about shots and struggling to stay level par.  It feels like playing proper golf.  But the Iconfast greens are something else.  How many times have you an upslope and hit ball not too hard due to speed only for ball to run up hill then run back down to same spot.  I think I had a six putt on one hole!!

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Wed, Feb 12 2014 5:53 AM

Ok, i started out with the last game first, and the first game last???

I used the level 33 Cally's in all games. I was surprised to see me above a few well respected names on here, but wont complain. In order of playing:

Normal game= 36

Craziness= 43

Uneven lies= 42

An overall score of 121. Not bad, but that last game (UEL) was a killer for sure. Was fun.

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Wed, Feb 12 2014 5:53 AM

That was insane fun, I used the TM Lethal ball for both.

39 in the normal one with 1 birdie but a disastrous 5 putt quad bogey on the 6th.

45 in the crazy fast greens version, whoever thought those green speeds up needs some srious help, I suggest Icon and Shoe see a therapist lol

I recorded them both for the sheer fun of it and if anyone is bored and/or wants a laugh here's the link to my yootoob page.

Link

More like this please :-)

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Wed, Feb 12 2014 5:57 AM

In the order I played them:

1.  Craziness - Headwinds on 7 holes and crosswinds on the other two...which led to me being 6-over after 5.  Then nailed 3 straight pars thanks to some handy putting.  I got to pin-high in the left fringe on 9 after my second shot...started drooling over another par...and promptly 4-putted for a double and a 42.

2.  Normal - 7 crosswinds this time, with 2 tailwinds  (apparently a between-round sacrifice to the wind-god still works....).  Six pars, two bogies (on 4 & 5)....and a nice follow-up to those with this birdie on 6.  My only one out of all 3 rounds.  Missed a 30-footer for birdie on 9, but tapped in for a 35.  Very happy with that!

3.  Uneven - a mixed bag of wind, so overall quite a fair distribution over the 3 rounds.  Got cocky on the 2nd hole and went for the pin from 192 with a slight tailwind.  Which was a really dumb move.  A double-bogey kind of a really dumb move.  Pars the rest of the way except for bogies on 5 & 6.  Only managed 16.4 feet in putts, with my longest being 3.1.  But still shot 38.

Summary:  Crazy = 42 ; Normal = 35 ; UEL = 38 ; Total = 115.

Thanks kindly Mr. Shoe.  As always, a serious ego-bashing from a serious challenge.  Keep 'em coming please.    ;-)

I'm not sure about somebody being under par though.  A combined total of less than 102 would be mind-boggling with that set-up.  If you meant under par for one of the three rounds, then yes, that's certainly not out of the question.  But to hold it in the red for all 3 rounds would be amazing!

• SamanthaWho
    3,403 Posts
    Wed, Feb 12 2014 6:59 AM

I will always play anything you put up here, but my one suggestion is either change them to low winds or set them up from easier tees. There were probably 5 fairways i couldnt even reach from Legend tees, left me hitting 2nd shots from 30-40%.

Thanks for the effort though :-)

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Feb 12 2014 9:25 AM

Jerm65:

In the order I played them:

1.  Craziness - Headwinds on 7 holes and crosswinds on the other two...which led to me being 6-over after 5.  Then nailed 3 straight pars thanks to some handy putting.  I got to pin-high in the left fringe on 9 after my second shot...started drooling over another par...and promptly 4-putted for a double and a 42.

2.  Normal - 7 crosswinds this time, with 2 tailwinds  (apparently a between-round sacrifice to the wind-god still works....).  Six pars, two bogies (on 4 & 5)....and a nice follow-up to those with this birdie on 6.  My only one out of all 3 rounds.  Missed a 30-footer for birdie on 9, but tapped in for a 35.  Very happy with that!

3.  Uneven - a mixed bag of wind, so overall quite a fair distribution over the 3 rounds.  Got cocky on the 2nd hole and went for the pin from 192 with a slight tailwind.  Which was a really dumb move.  A double-bogey kind of a really dumb move.  Pars the rest of the way except for bogies on 5 & 6.  Only managed 16.4 feet in putts, with my longest being 3.1.  But still shot 38.

Summary:  Crazy = 42 ; Normal = 35 ; UEL = 38 ; Total = 115.

Thanks kindly Mr. Shoe.  As always, a serious ego-bashing from a serious challenge.  Keep 'em coming please.    ;-)

I'm not sure about somebody being under par though.  A combined total of less than 102 would be mind-boggling with that set-up.  If you meant under par for one of the three rounds, then yes, that's certainly not out of the question.  But to hold it in the red for all 3 rounds would be amazing!

Huge respect for your UEL round and all 3 really. Only 4 over in those UEL conditions is fantastic playing. I know what you mean about going for the pin on the 2nd hole in UEL. With the starters from the tips it's too risky regardless of the tailwind. I played to the green opening nice and safe. Still missed my target and ended up in the rough with a mega uphill, sidehill lie.I used punch lob wedge nearly full power and got so lucky I couldn't believe it. Had under 2 foot putt for par and ran off the green laughing. ;)

Thanks again for the summery as well. :)

~CD~

P.S. Now I know how I ended up leading the Crazy. I only bogeyed the 9th by coming up 7 inches short for par for the tiebreaker with you. I hope Corwyn plays these 3. He's a wizard with the starter clubs. Look for his name on the Leaderboard.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Feb 12 2014 10:02 AM

Oh you're too kind Cerino (or perhaps trying to add some extra pressure, lol!).

I'm sure I'll be very rusty with the starters, but yes, I'm very excited to give these tourneys a go. 

It's great to get these descriptions from everyone, and helpful to know which balls were used too. What did you play with Cerino?

And huge kudos to Jerm on those stunning scores. Very impressive!

I had a quick look back at our Tough-It-Out experiences at Olympic (those conditions were certainly easier, as we played both times from the Red (Easy) tees with less wind, but we were playing all starter clubs and balls, and with uneven lies, and under the clock with 90 second timer with partners). Round descriptions for TIO III start at this page if anyone's interested.

In TIO II, Hans managed an extraordinary -3 for the front 9 (see this page) and went on to be our only player under par at Olympic (but again, it was from the Easy tees).

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Wed, Feb 12 2014 10:44 AM

SamanthaWho:

I will always play anything you put up here, but my one suggestion is either change them to low winds or set them up from easier tees. There were probably 5 fairways i couldnt even reach from Legend tees, left me hitting 2nd shots from 30-40%.

Thanks for the effort though :-)

Yeah this was just an extreme test.  See if players could still shoot good scores with having the tees all the way back.

- WGTdbloshoe

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Wed, Feb 12 2014 11:02 AM

Geez....if I ever need a couple of good wing-men....you two are hired!  ;-)

Thanks for the compliments.  I figured that I was playing quite well (after about the first 6 holes anyway), but until you look at the leaderboard you don't really know how that compares to everyone else.

I used the L75+ Nike vapours in these.  Basically because I happened to have 2 of them in my bag, and I needed something with a faster meter than the Max balls.  They seemed to work quite nicely.

And I think you'll find the rust drops off the starter clubs pretty quickly Corwyn...

RSS