A Simple Handicap Formula

Wed, Apr 1 2015 8:40 AM (98 replies)
  • ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Fri, Jan 24 2014 11:27 AM

DaddysKat:
    Any questions or comments, let me know

Comment.

Kat, I noticed in your video, that you drag to copy all the score history. If you like to use some key short-cuts to do the same thing.

1. CRTL + left click to highlight first date.
    2. END to go to last score.
    3. SHIFT + left click to highlight ALL the scores.
    4. RIGHT click to COPY all.
    5. PASTE in your program.

Very nice work :-)

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Jan 24 2014 12:16 PM

ZioMio:

DaddysKat:
    Any questions or comments, let me know

Comment.

Kat, I noticed in your video, that you drag to copy all the score history. If you like to use some key short-cuts to do the same thing.

1. CRTL + left click to highlight first date.
    2. END to go to last score.
    3. SHIFT + left click to highlight ALL the scores.
    4. RIGHT click to COPY all.
    5. PASTE in your program.

Very nice work :-)

Thanks for the info and accolades, Luigi!  This one little program has caused a major overhaul to my old Tourney manager.  Hopefully I'll have it all done soon!

You know me ... when I'm doing mundane tasks (like calculating several players' handicaps), I just want to go through the motions ... I don't want to think when I have a machine that can do all that for me!

• genegold2
    1,302 Posts
    Sat, Jan 25 2014 9:48 AM

I have been following this thread and what you have done is fantastic. Oh, btw, everyone has made some very nice input also. I would verily much like to incorporate this into my system. When you have finished please post how I may acquire this. I use a system that uses each course's slope and rating to figure the handicap using pga type handicapping. I then average them to come up with the final. I use 10 of the last score 18 hole games, excluding par 3's and par 5's as these are not real courses. Our CC is small and only about half have entered the games of a 20 week series.

Very good work!

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sat, Jan 25 2014 7:54 PM

genegold2:
    I use a system that uses each course's slope and rating to figure the handicap using pga type handicapping. I then average them to come up with the final. I use 10 of the last score 18 hole games, excluding par 3's and par 5's as these are not real courses. Our CC is small and only about half have entered the games of a 20 week series.

Hi Gene,

I've got a bit more work to do on this, but I'll post a final message when I release it. 

I'm curious to know how you're maintaining the slope rating ... do you have the slope ratings for all of the tee boxes on all American courses?  And the course rating?  Both are needed to determine the scoring differential.  How are you handling the EU courses?  Are they excluded from your handicap?

I think the methods discussed by Dubfore and Cobalt will work rather well to determine a WGT handicap.  I just added the "Best 10 of 20" calc to stay consistent with the USGA handicapping methods.  I also feel the best approach to determine a handicap for your CC is to setup some required single-play tourneys.

• genegold2
    1,302 Posts
    Sat, Jan 25 2014 11:18 PM

I got the slope and ratings from the courses web sites. I use 1 slope and rating for each course. I understand that USGA only have one for all players. With the way WGT does the tees may not be what USGA would find acceptable. The handicaps were started with five single play 18 hole tourneys. I do not use 9 hole games at all. To use the score history to find the 18 hole games for new members is difficult, especially with masters and below. Very few play 18 hole tournaments it seems.

I never played real life golf and only know what I could find on web for the USGA system, and asking anyone that knows any about it. That's the reason I am so interested in your system. It takes about 15 games before handicaps settle down, where a bad or very good round doesn't change it but a small amount.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sat, Jan 25 2014 11:40 PM

genegold2:
    I use 1 slope and rating for each course. I understand that USGA only have one for all players.

USGA Handicap is calculated as follows:

Differential = ((Score - Course Rating) * 113) / Slope Rating

Add best 10 of 20 differentials / 10 = average

average * .96 = handicap index  (rounded to 1 decimal place.

Course Handicap = (handicap index * slope rating) / 113 (rounded to 0 decimal places)

All courses have an established course rating.  This # doesn't change.  The slope rating changes based on the tee box.  Since Hacks and Amateurs tee from the Reds, Pros and Tour Pros tee from the Whites, Masters and Tour Masters tee from the Blues and Legends and Tour Legends tee from the blacks, you need to have a slope rating for each tee, if you are going to follow the USGA handicap calculation.

I just don't feel the USGA handicap method will work real well with this game, since a practice game does not get added to the scoring history.  You may find yourself with several sandbaggers ... playing practice rounds with friends to keep their handicaps up.

Since many of us don't have the time or patience to play 18, you probably will need to rethink the 18 rule.  Also, if the courses are "unlimited", members may play the same course over and over.  This is why it's best that you establish CC tournaments that are single play.  Make them required for a member to establish a handicap.  If a member who does not have a handicap but wishes to play in a "net" tourney, I'd suggest making sure said member has the lowest handicap.  For example, if you have a member with a -7 handicap, make the non-handicapped member a -12.  It will provide motivation for them to play the handicap tourneys!

Have fun!

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sun, Jan 26 2014 8:41 AM

Whatever method that you use, if you restrict the games that count for calculating handicaps to just credit tournaments, that should reduce/limit any attempts at cheating. I'm trying the USGA system, but only as far as the X .96 calculation over a certain amount of credit tournaments.  It won't be 100% accurate (what handicaps are?), but it will be a much better way of assuring fair play and keep players of similar ability to graded club credit tournaments.   I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all the info and responses.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Jan 26 2014 9:05 AM

Dubfore:
    if you restrict the games that count for calculating handicaps

After doing several tests using my handicap program, I have to agree.  As the CC owner, you cannot control what games a member plays.  If you establish games in your tournaments that count towards the player's handicap and make them "single round", I feel you'll get a more accurate handicap.

While my handicap program will allow you to use "Best 10 of 20" and "Best 10 of 20 with exclusions", I feel the best method to use would be "Selected rounds only"; then select the most recent 20 rounds from the games you've established ... credit or free shouldn't matter ... just as long as you've established tournaments you'll use for all members, and your method to calculate the handicap is fair to everyone, you'll come up with some pretty accurate handicaps for your CC.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sun, Jan 26 2014 1:13 PM

DaddysKat:
    ... credit or free shouldn't matter ... just as long as you've established tournaments you'll use for all members,

They will matter if you have any cheats in your club, as in real golf  'playing badly' to hide their real ability.  If you make all your handicap tournaments credit play only, that will cost them if they want to try cheating.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Sun, Jan 26 2014 3:03 PM

Dubfore:

DaddysKat:
    ... credit or free shouldn't matter ... just as long as you've established tournaments you'll use for all members,

They will matter if you have any cheats in your club, as in real golf  'playing badly' to hide their real ability.  If you make all your handicap tournaments credit play only, that will cost them if they want to try cheating.

'cheats' is not a word I like to see.

I don't think there is anyway Kat wants to incorporate anything in her Tourney Manager that involves catching out cheats. Her desire and my wish is for an almost fully automatic scoring leaderboard and handicap system, that makes the life of all CC owners that much easier.

My CC - Cosa Nostra - has been around a long time, and I am one of the newest members, we number less than fifty, and no one is bothered about sandbagging their Hcp, it just will not happen.

We are all genuine and trusted players of varying ability.

Kat's TM is just icing on the cake.

1i ®

RSS