Forums

Help › Forums

A Simple Handicap Formula

Wed, Apr 1 2015 8:40 AM (98 replies)
  • DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Jan 26 2014 4:55 PM

Dubfore:
    They will matter if you have any cheats in your club, as in real golf  'playing badly' to hide their real ability.

The nice thing about the scoring history is it does show RG scores ... now if you suspect a cheat, simply use their 10 or 20 lowest RG scores to handicap them ... especially if said suspected cheat is scoring extremely high in your "for handicap" games.

While I'm attempting to make handicapping simple for the CC owners and tournament directors, I don't have the ability to catch cheats that play net games.  That's your job.  And while there are some cheats on WGT, you as owner or tournament director will have the ability to restrict certain member's handicaps (just like real golf).  According to the USGA, a person should only play below their net handicap score once every 8 games.  If you've established a handicap for someone and you setup a multiple round tournament and that player comes in consistently 8 or 9 strokes below their handicap, revise it manually.  It's that simple.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Jan 26 2014 4:57 PM

oneeyedjohn:
    Kat's TM is just icing on the cake.

Thanks Oneeye ... and thanks for dealing so well with all the stress I've placed on you.  I think in the long run, this will prove to be worth all your efforts!  Just hang in there!  We're almost done!

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Mon, Jan 27 2014 4:34 AM

Thanks again Kat.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Jan 31 2014 1:01 PM

I just loaded the new tournament manager to my google drive, along with 4 sample videos.  I'm still working on the documentation ... not a task that "blows my skirt up", but I promise I'll get it done soon.

Here's the link to the spreadsheet, version 2.0's documentation and 4 sample videos:

Edit:  Link removed

The logic behind this tourney manager is (1) Setup your CC members, (2) Calculate your member's handicaps, (3) paste and update the tournaments and (4) Generate the PDF reports you will want to share with your members.

Each of the 4 macros has a hotkey associated with it.  You can load the macros like I've shown you in the videos, or use the hotkeys.  The hotkeys are:

Ctrl+Shift+M - loads the CC Members routine for pasting/updating member information

Ctrl+Shift+H loads the Calculate Handicaps routine

Ctrl+Shift+T loads the paste/update tournaments routine 

Ctrl+Shift+R loads the setup reports routine.

I'll try to get the documentation updated as soon as I can.  For now, check out the videos ... they should give you an idea how to use the spreadsheet.  

Totally "Beta" without the documentation ... but we're used to that ... right?

Have a great weekend all!

Kat ♥

• genegold2
    1,302 Posts
    Sun, Feb 2 2014 2:26 PM

I thank you very much for the work and sharing of your labors. I found out that since you are using Excel (MS uhg) there are too great a difference in macos with Librecalc I can not use it. Ms's VBA is not compatible with nothing. I am not knowledgeable enough to try and rewrite them, but will try to learn enough to write a few simple ones to copy from clipboard to my spreadsheets. Something I didn't know could be done. 

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Feb 2 2014 3:26 PM

Doesn't Librecalc use OOBasic?  Kind of like open office?

• genegold2
    1,302 Posts
    Sun, Feb 2 2014 4:00 PM

As far as I can find out it does, but also says VBA is not compatible
    with it. May beyond my learning capabilities to do anything close to
    what you have accomplished. Spreadsheet 3.0, I get error about a macro
    and nothing runs. Cannot load members to start with.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Feb 2 2014 4:15 PM

VB is Microsoft specific.  Sorry.  Maybe I can put the code in a few .txt type files for you and put them on the drive.  You'll have to convert to use with OOBasic, or find a converter.

• genegold2
    1,302 Posts
    Sun, Feb 2 2014 4:19 PM

You just too nice to an old man. Many thanks!

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Feb 2 2014 7:10 PM

genegold2:

You just too nice to an old man. Many thanks!

Hi Gene ... I put the easiest code on my google drive ... it's in a PDF file.  You will need to create a userform and add a button.  You'll also need to have a spreadsheet called "CC Members".

I know most of the Excel specific commands relate to the forms ... so anything "Worksheets", "Applications", "Range", "Row", "Column" will need to be changed.  I think about 70% of the code is compatible.

I also saved a version of the worksheet in ODS format ... not sure the code will transfer over or not, since I don't currently have ODS installed on my machine.  Best of luck.  Hope it helps you out.

RSS