Help › Forums

Uneven Lies Ryder Cup is ON!

Fri, Feb 21 2014 9:44 AM (383 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 11:43 AM

Bump!

Current sign-ups:

USA (7): Wesdogg75, natemakesaholein, devonnnnn, KyRock75, Iconian, deedles77, ColumbusStorm

ROW (10): Corwyn, Daskino, GladstoneScrewer, LOLserver, jsweetcr, TallAcePaul, Dazza501, johehejo & Fairwayruepel68 (last 2 via PM), fmagnets

At this point, I'm thinking volunteer self-selection for the tourney, rather than any qualifying. We're not being overwhelmed by demand, so we'll just make this a fun, introductory version and see how it works.

Still looking for 3 US players, and we might stop at 10 per side, plus 2 wildcard picks, to make teams of 12. Alternates would still be welcome, so don't hesitate to declare an interest if you want to be a part of this.

Any volunteers want to captain either side? (You could be a playing or non-playing captain).

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 2:01 PM

I nominate icon for team captain of the u.s side.

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 2:03 PM

Corwyn, I maybe amongst the minority, but I enjoy the uneven lie tournaments,  I'd like to be considered if worthy.   If not, then "Go team ROW !"

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 5:05 AM

Why don't you play for the US team Corwyn? so, we are almost there.

Hope we play only on tournament greens mate.

Wish we had the chance to try those super fast greens from Icon's crazy tournes!!!.

Eric

GO ROW GO!!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 7:59 AM

Hi Eric,

I did consider that... but I fear it would be too much of a betrayal of my true loyalties. I grew up on Sevy and Ollie, Langer and Woosie, and Monty's great exploits. Even though I live in California, as a Scot, born-and-bred, I couldn't in good faith try and play for "the opposition" lol!

I have heard from my good friend Ben (bhoese) that he will probably commit for the US team, especially if we can get started sooner, which would make sense given that there's no longer any need for qualification. I'm looking at schedules (there's a midwinter school term break in February that will be tricky for me, for instance), but it would help to know if anyone would have a problem with running the tourney end-January through first half of February instead.

Sadly, I've had decline messages from both CerinoDevoti (perhaps the community's leading advocate for UEL!), and Hanswurst72 (former Ryder Cup organizer), both of whom have too much going on.

I'm willing to captain the ROW team if there's no other takers, or objections (I'm hoping there would be no conflict of interest in captaining one side while organizing the whole thing?). And I'll ask Iconian if s/he wants to lead the US team.

I'll also do some direct recruitment of any potential US players. I have a big volunteer project on right now so don't expect too much more to develop for a few days. Thanks everyone for your patience, and I'm so excited to see the interest in this event.

P.S. Yes, I agree it would be great to have Icon's incredibly fast greens, but perhaps too much of an advantage for those who've had that specific experience. (And not sure that those options would be possible for Icon to setup for multiplayer games... ?) I think keeping the green speed consistent as Tournament speed is the right option.

-----------------

Current team line-ups:

USA (8): Wesdogg75, natemakesaholein, devonnnnn, KyRock75, Iconian, deedles77, ColumbusStorm, bhoese (tbc)

ROW (11): Corwyn, Daskino, GladstoneScrewer, LOLserver, jsweetcr, TallAcePaul, Dazza501, johehejo & Fairwayruepel68 (last 2 via PM), fmagnets, SteveReilly

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 8:00 AM

stevereilly:
    Corwyn, I maybe amongst the minority, but I enjoy the uneven lie tournaments,  I'd like to be considered if worthy

Steve, you are very definitely worthy! I've been seeing your name regularly on the UEL tourney leaderboards. Great to have you be a part of this!

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 11:03 AM

Corwyn, as some players don't read the forums i suggest you start some sort of qualifying and then if players appear regularly on leaderboards then we could leave a message on their wall inviting them.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 11:36 AM

Thanks Dazza.

I think we have enough self-selected players to just do this edition without any qualifying, which will make it a lot simpler.

Everyone who has come forward has proved their unevens chops through Tough-It-Out events, a regular presence on the weekly UEL singles and UEL RG leaderboards, or through Shiner's tourneys last spring, and indeed, most recently, in Icon/Shoe's Craziness tourneys.

And, if we'd had many more players come forward, then qualifying would have been essential... so this seems just right to me.

We just need a few more to represent the US, and we'll be there. And I hope that will happen soon via some targeted recruitment.

Cheers, Corwyn

Edit: I've just sent out 20 wall post invitations to players who've had a high placing in the weekly singles UEL tourneys in the last month. It's not terribly scientific, and I'm making an assumption that US flag means they might want to represent the US team, but it's the best I can do quickly. We'll see what happens!

And if you're one of the players I wall posted, please accept my apologies for the 'form letter' nature of the communication!

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 12:07 PM

Well, I would like to give it a try

Gary (woodo)       USA

• cappiest
    1,345 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 12:16 PM

lol...i'd rather play Wii golf....sorry not a big fan of uneven lies

RSS