Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven Lies Ryder Cup is ON!

Fri, Feb 21 2014 9:44 AM (383 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 8:47 AM

It turned out that Devon got called into work at the last minute yesterday.

He's confident that that won't happen today, and he fully expects to be there at the same 2pm his time, 7pm Darren's time [also 7pm UTC] (which is 11am WGT time, 2.25hrs from now).

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 11:30 AM

Devon and I got our match done. It was quite close to start with but Devon found a few bad lies around the turn and let me in. Thanks for the game Devon.

I won 5up.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 12:31 PM

DAZZA501:

Devon and I got our match done. It was quite close to start with but Devon found a few bad lies around the turn and let me in. Thanks for the game Devon.

I won 5up.

Well done m8, the very last point for ROW :-)

Corwyn was right, ROW got the best out of the single matches.

Just curiosity...why did we play better the single matches??, well, this is the fun of any competition, weird stuff.

Thanks everyone for the fun tournament and hope to see ya all pretty soon for a new one.

Regards, Eric

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 3:40 PM

Great match Darren. I really did play crap, and I guess I wasn't ready for that match as much as I had hoped. 

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 10:29 PM

DAZZA501:

I won 5up.

Congratulations Darren, and commiserations Devon. You'd started the tourney with such stunning play in our first match, so it's a pity to see you off-form at the end.

But with yet another singles match going to ROW (I agree, Eric, it's extraordinary how that happened) the first ever UEL Ryder Cup is now concluded, and drum roll, drum roll...

... ends with a 16-8 victory for the ROW team.

Congratulations to the entire ROW team on a comprehensive win in the end. The competition seemed so close through the team matches, and really looked like it would go to the wire... but then ROW found another gear!

Here are the final standings ((right-click to enlarge; also in the spreadsheet at this link):

I want to thank everyone on both teams (and all the alternates) for their participation, and their patience through the process of getting 24 matches (half of them 4 player matches!) scheduled and played over the last 3 weeks. That's a noteworthy achievement in itself, lol!

I know that Johnny (WigerToods) has been busy engraving the trophy... (just been waiting on the final score) so please check back for that soon. And ROW team members, feel free to blog that with pride!

We didn't quite get to formal prizes for the tourney, which in some ways is fitting anyway for the one competition in golf that's not about prize-money...

... that said, I did want to present one prize, to Luciano (Daskino) for Most Valuable Player; Luciano receives a sleeve of gb's for being the only player on either team to win all 3 of their matches. Here are the individual player stats for the tourney (right-click to enlarge):

I also wanted to acknowledge the invaluable support of the captains in making the tourney possible. Both SteveReilly and Russ (ColumbusStorm) devoted many additional hours to wrangling team pairings, and responding to urgent organizing issues. Please find sleeves on their way to you both, and I've sent one as well to WigerToods for his help in coming up with the fun graphics that really boost these community tourneys.

-----------

Also, thank you everyone for your feedback on the tourney and suggestions for the future in response to this earlier post. I hope to absorb all of that very soon, and get thinking on what might be next. It feels really great to know there's a pool of such strong players out there who are up for this kind of competition and challenge.

Cheers, Corwyn

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2014 5:17 AM

Corwyn:
    I've sent one as well to WigerToods for his help

Hi Corwyn, 

Very kind of you - really no need, thanks again!

Now that the event is fully completed (well done on the 'W' @ Dazza501) ...a little memento of a fine ROW VICTORY!

(Click image for full sized version)

Anyone wishing to display it on their own profile, feel free.

Once again, thanks for the fun, Corwyn!

Regards,

Johnny.

• Daskino
    2,781 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2014 9:26 AM

Corwyn:
    ... that said, I did want to present one prize, to Luciano (Daskino) for Most Valuable Player; Luciano receives a sleeve of gb's for being the only player on either team to win all 3 of their matches

Well, ehm... *blushing* TYVM :)

Great work guys, amazing overall job Captain Corwyn. TYVM to anyone played this UEL Ryder Cup, and tnx again to the ones I played with.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2014 9:44 AM

Thanks Luciano...

... and thank you so much Johnny. That's a beautiful trophy! A fine addition to the mantelpiece, lol.

I love the little nasty red-box lie hiding in the middle of the upper plinth. A very nice touch!

RSS