Forums

Help › Forums

cheat5.6

Thu, Sep 2 2010 1:30 AM (149 replies)
  • Hootowl9
    392 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 10:12 AM

I also would like the idea of choosing whether or not the meter could be seen. coz the "WALL of SHAME" would be nice. Maybe WGT could post a link in reference  to a list of known cheats,multiple accounts, disruptive players/accounts, ect. that they have detected. I'm sure there would probably be legal implications to that & don't know it would make a difference anyway. Oh well. Looking forward to the new lvl brackets coming soon. Maybe with some background work , hopefully, some consideration will given to this with the updates.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 10:26 AM

@VanHalenLover:

Since you are being so overly insistent on another thread about someone answering your question.......

I've patiently waited more than 24 hours for you to answer my question on this post in this thread.

Why are you so opposed to WGT implementing IP address blocking VHL?

On second thought, forget about it.  I, along with many here, know the answer.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 10:59 AM

andyson,

I have stated it over and over in multiple threads, and will happily address it here too, now that you asked. Sorry that I missed your initial post on it.

IP address blocking simply does not work. It is all too easy to manipulate IP addresses, even to the novice user. Also, there are times when someone may have multiple machines in their house, and several different people use unique accounts in that same house. In some cases, each of these machines has the exact same external IP address. Do you wish to prevent all users in that house from playing based on the actions of one?

Lastly, IP addresses are leased, and are always changing. You can block one IP address, and a short time later someone else will own the lease on it. Unless you can come up with a way of handling this that no one else has been able to since the inception of the internet, it simply won't work.

And now, if you are done with your innuendos 

andyson:

I'd love to hear your technical expertise on why you think IP mapping will work for blocking accounts. You might wish to Google the difference between an internal and external IP address before you reply.

I would be interested in hearing your opinions on why I am against it, from you or any of the 'many others' that already know the answer. Is it different than what I posted here, lol?!

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 11:12 AM

If I may interject something here....

There is another site that I frequent, one dealing with a specific medical diagnosis, that has many users from the US and Canada.  They, too, have some contentious issues resulting in some very harsh words and accusations.  (Unlike this site, that one deals everyday with real human lives, suffering and pain... whereas this one is just golf.)

One member was particularly caustic toward an entire group... so much so that the owners/operators of the site try to restrict his IP to keep him out.  As he kept returning with what is known, I am surmising, as a dynamic IP, they had to put a restriction on a large block of IP addresses..

.... and lost the entire city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Now I know that the plural of anecdote isn't data.. but that one scenario has me a bit worried when the subject of IP blocking comes up.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 11:16 AM

Snaike:
    .... and lost the entire city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Even Wikipedia understands.....

On an Internet forum or Web site an IP ban is often used as a last resort to prevent a disruptive member from access, though a warning and/or account ban may be used first. Dynamic allocation of IP addresses can complicate incoming IP blocking, rendering it difficult to block a specific user without blocking a larger number of IP addresses, thereby risking collateral damage caused by ISPs sharing IP addresses of multiple internet users.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 11:27 AM

VanHalenLover:

You didn't answer his question but did artfully steer it in another direction.  :-)

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 11:35 AM

What are you talking about YJ?

I just left several paragraphs above as to why I am against IP blocking. It doesn't work, and there are inherent risks involved with it. What part of that answer led you to believe I steered the answer in a different direction?

Did you, just maybe, read it in haste, with a pre-disposed answer already in place??

The fact that you highlighted the exact same innuendo laden portion of the post seems to dictate that this is exactly what you did. I have never been in a position to have to mask or change my IP address YJ. I simply have the technical expertise to know how it works, and why it doesn't.  

edit:

Just to be technically correct, I DID change from DSL to Cable a few months ago, and am now using a new pool of IP Addresses. This, contrary to the above posts, has NOTHING to do with manipulation of my IP address........ sorry to disappoint. And also, I slept in a Holiday Inn Express over the weekend.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 12:01 PM

Bezukhov:
    CharlemagneRH:
    cozmozogg:
    what if... there was no cheat program, could the rest of us enjoy the extra visuals of club selection/spin/meter/aim? i want to assume that those i have added to my friends list are above such cheating methods [same reason i hate bonds/clemens], and would like to see that implemented. i would leave the policing of it to WGT and other members who play in areas where it's a concern... viable or what do u think?

If people have essentially the same shot (e.g. drives landed in similar places, and they're now on their approach shots, or if the hole is a par 3, and they're about to tee off), then allowing everyone to see the target marker, power meter input, and aim click puts the player that goes first at a disadvantage because the second player would be able to see exactly how they shot the ball and what the result was (e.g. 5-10 yards short, 5-10 yards long, etc.)

At most, only club selection (just for role-playing purposes) and the aim-click (although it wouldn't be hugely effective at helping to combat cheating) should be seen by other players.

But letting the players decide for themselves if they want others to see what they are doing could be a valuable asset. As in training a newbie to the intricacies of this game.

That's true, but nonetheless, I certainly wouldn't want it to be shown in Match Play Challenges.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 12:02 PM

Errant:
    I wonder if WGT has ever considered creating a program that scans our computers for cheat software? Whenever you click on the play now button it could be activated. I know a lot of people might not like the invasion of privacy but it seems to me that's the only way to guarantee that no one's using it.

They already do that.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 12:18 PM

VanHalenLover:
    Did you, just maybe, read it in haste, with a pre-disposed answer already in place??

Sure did. The answer, that is.

VanHalenLover:
    I have never been in a position to have to mask or change my IP address YJ

Um, OK. Whatever you say.

RSS