Forums

Help › Forums

USGA Virtual Championship Discussion Thread

Mon, Jul 19 2010 12:59 AM (111 replies)
  • DougBieker
    333 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 3:48 AM

I was just thinking about the upcoming championship rounds and wouldnt it be interesting if WGT revealed new hole locations for those two rounds.  I mean the pros dont know exactly where the hole locations are to the morning of when they receive pin sheets.  It would be cool to have a system update and then go play your round 1.  I know it is just a dream but it would be interesting.

• JCOlson
    1,118 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 10:16 PM

totally agree! would make ready-go's more interesting to and less predictable. they don't even change the wind speed for those...

• Hackmore
    41 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 3:18 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement Yank, however, I am in a state (Illinois), that is not eligable for the prizes...I play for the sport and for the look on my wifes face when she catches me screaming at my computer because I missed a 3 foot eagle putt. 

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 12:36 PM

The July 11th deadline fast approacheth for the qualifying round of the USGA Virtual Championship!  Last few days to get those scores in the books!

With just 4 and half days left to go in the qualifying competition we still have a bit of uncertainty about where the final cut line will fall.  57 players are sitting right on on the cut line of 5-under par and are hoping that it will be enough to earn them a spot in the final rounds of the tournament.  However, if only 19 more players can manage to shoot a 6-under or better in the qualifying then we will see the cut drop to 64!

The last day for USGA Virtual Championship qualifying is July 11th.   Any last minute qualifying attempts must be completed and submitted by 11:59PM PDT on Sunday, July 11th!

Good Luck in your final qualifying efforts!

Schedule for the Final Rounds:

Round 1 of the championship will begin on Monday, July 12th and will wrap up by 11:59PM PDT on Thursday, July 15th!  If you qualify for the final rounds, you must be sure to complete your 1st round by the 15th or you will be withdrawn from the event!

Round 2 of the championship begins Friday, July 16th and will finish up by 11:59PM PDT on Sunday, July 18th!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 1:18 PM

Heh-unless we're in the Twilight Zone the first three "Junes" are obviously "Julys"  :-D

How about the SA open? Are the dates like with the USGA?

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 1:39 PM

Heh, sorry about that. It's fixed now.  Too much Back to the Future 25th anniversary celebration this week. =)

I'll do an update for the Virtual Open as we get closer to the end date of the qualifier.  There's still over 10 days to go for qualifying there and plenty left to be decided.

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Jul 8 2010 5:24 AM

WGTniv:
    Too much Back to the Future 25th anniversary celebration this week. =)
    OMFG I'm old :^(  I remember seeing the first one in the theatre over and over and over back when I was a kid (and movies were cheap)

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Thu, Jul 8 2010 1:30 PM

Pardon me fellas, I had the ending dates incorrect.  The post above has been fixed as well.  Start and end dates for each round are also listed in the tournament description.  My apologies for any confusion.

Schedule for the Final Rounds:

Round 1: 1:00 AM PDT July 12th - 11:59PM PDT July 15th (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur)

Round 2: 1:00 AM PDT July 16th - 11:59PM PDT July 18th (Fri, Sat, Sun)

All times are listed as Pacific Daylight Time.

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Thu, Jul 8 2010 7:07 PM

I'm looking forward to the tournament, although I have been playing a little more on St Andrews trying to get my score moved down a little.

The only real changes that I wish we could make to the qualifying are as follows:

1) Limit the number of trys to qualify, maybe no more than 6 attempts, I know that often players, myself included, quit the round if we don't birdie 1 and 2.  It would be nice to know that you could only do that a few times, then everyone would finish each round.

2) Carry over the qualifying scores to the tournament.  The great play and hard work should be worth something.

The coure is brutal as is St Andrews where I played my second on 17 the other day from 270.  Par 5's aren't easy birdie holes anymore at St Andrews, have to lay up on some of them.  Hope to see pin moved on them for the tourney but if not it still will be great.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 12:04 AM

Gettin' down to the nitty gritty here everybody.

72 hours left to go for the USGA Virtual Championship qualifying!  All players currently holding steady with a 65 find themselves tied on the cut line in 141st place and perched precariously on the bubble.  It will only take 16 more players shooting lower than 65 to drop the cut down to 64 in the final days of the competition.  If you're sitting on the cut line with a 65 I'd advise getting out there this weekend and putting in some stick time.  A 65 is questionable right now and may not hold up over the weekend scramble.  Get that 64 on the books and barring some sort of unexpected miracle you'll be taking dead aim in the final rounds for that US Open prize package!

Good Luck!

RSS