Forums

Help › Forums

USGA Virtual Championship Discussion Thread

Mon, Jul 19 2010 12:59 AM (111 replies)
  • BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 9:13 AM

Check out this round ending rough shot...Phil Mickelson entered my avatar and hit a BACKWARD shot into the bunker.

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=dd4ba54c-001c-4711-8288-9d970028513b

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 9:24 AM

WOW! Your eyes almost cross watching it. Were you trying to get out with a mid to long iron?

The reason I ask is because at Oakmont the caddie suggestions from traps always seem to be lofted clubs, almost like a hint or something and it looks like you might have been in the side of a slight hill. Plus, I've never been able to hit long out of any of those traps like you can at the other courses. I suspect this is by design at Oakmont.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 9:35 AM

YJ...your exactly right...I normally don't try it but it was early in the round and I was at 2 under after 4...I just never expected it to go BACKWARDS lol.

side note: got tickets for when the Yanks visit Cleveland

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 1:33 PM

I do not think I have seen a SAND LIE on Oakmont less than 30-40.  I am attributing this to "Tournament Conditions".  That seems to be the "easiest" lie in sand.

And Yes - ALWAYS a Pitching Wedge from the caddie when in the sand on Oakmont.  I had that same "somebody is trying to tell me something" feeling.

I have found it VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE** to get any substantial DISTANCE out of Oakmont Fairway Bunkers.  Even PUNCHes fall flat far short of where they would from comparable other traps on our other courses.  (Greenside Bunkers generally do not require a great distance to fly - so those pretty much seem to operate as "usual" for a 30-40 or greater lie - think of KIAWAH #4).

And Yes - as BOFFMEN's replay shows - this is one of several new behaviors I have witnessed on OAKMONT specifically relating to the way the ball can behave (often disastrously) when coming out of sand or some of the heavier lies.  

**NOT COMPLETELY impossible - every once in a while I get one in the air.  PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE THE BACKSPIN (Red/Green) marker is on your ball IN THE LIE.

Never a dull moment,  AtlantaCoaster

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 2:11 PM

This particular shot behavior leads me to believe lie factoring isn't far behind. Finally.....

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 2:31 PM

kotez:

WGTniv:

Hey guys,

Hope you all are enjoying the new course and the new tees on St. Andrews!

Please use this thread to discuss your qualifying rounds, post some scorecards and share your best replays and stories from your USGA Virtual Championship qualifying rounds at Oakmont!

USGA Virtual Championship Qualifying Leaderboard

Current Cut Line (156+ ties): 75 (+5)

I'll update this post with the current cut line on a daily basis to make it easy to find.

Best of luck to everyone in the qualifier!  Wish I could be there with you! =)

niv, i think the qualifiers should be a one round, not a unlimited play, thats pretty much messing up the championship in my eyes

I couldn't agree more, although i think a 2 round single play wouldn't be a bad idea either

• hesomist
    62 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 11:19 AM

Cut line at Oakmont about the drop to 65!  Currently 155 players at 65 or better.

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:15 PM

From my own experience on Oakmont you really need to have the 5 P's to do well here -

Patience, Perserverance and Practice, Practice and more Practice !

I've posted 7 rounds for the US Qualify at Oakmont over the past 3 weeks - started off with a 65 then 64, 65, 64, 64, 63 and 60.  I could have posted a lot of rounds between 65 and 63 recently but I held on as I knew sooner or later I could take a big step to shoot 60 or 61.  I think the trick is to work out which holes you'd have to play for a par and only be aggressive on holes that you know you can make birdies.  Do that and you can shoot in the low 60's fairly often then when the big day come you'd have the confidence that you can shoot a competitive score and with a little luck you just might hit that best round you've always wanted.

My prediction for the score that will win the US Open is 63 - 64 = 129 (-13) if conditions are similar to the qualifying round.  Remember it's single play rounds and when you add the mental pressure as well as the meter factor (including "the beast" factor !) it will be a tough test for all.

• Hackmore
    41 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 10:14 AM

Cut line at Oakmont about the drop to 65!  Currently 155 players at 65 or better.

Yes...I know because I'm # 156, WGT you suck! (I'm just kidding)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 11:54 AM

All is not lost, Hackmore. I was reading the prize rules and it says the qualifiers all receive USGA stuff and for those that live in places where they can't get prizes for online games their prizes will be distributed to the next best scores.

Sounds like you're in for at least some neat stuff- USGA bag tag, hat, 1 year membership....not bad!

RSS