Forums

Help › Forums

USGA Virtual Championship Discussion Thread

Mon, Jul 19 2010 12:59 AM (111 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 5:13 AM

TarheelsRule:
    2) Carry over the qualifying scores to the tournament.  The great play and hard work should be worth something.

It already is. You get some cool stuff like a hat (saw it in Dick's and it is sharp,) a bag tag and a membership in the USGA.

There is also another green speed, Championship, that I wouldn't be surprised to see introduced for the finals. The pins at SA are going to be changed for the Virtual Open so in the absence of this happening at Oakmont introducing even faster greens would be a riot.

156+ players going into a Championship round totally in the dark on green speeds would be a fabulous move, just like it's going to be at SA with the different pins. Oh Boy.............

• TDHarvey
    433 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 1:14 AM

WGTniv:
    Get that 64 on the books and barring some sort of unexpected miracle you'll be taking dead aim in the final rounds for that St. Andrews prize package!

Isn't the USGA winner going to Congressional?

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 5:58 AM

Winner of Virtual Open Championship goes to St.Andrews

Winner of Virtual Championship goes to Congressional

Cheers

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 12:18 PM

TDHarvey:
    Isn't the USGA winner going to Congressional?

That's correct, got my threads mixed up. =)

Just a little under 36 hours to go for qualifying!

Schedule for the Final Rounds:

Round 1: 1:00 AM PDT July 12th - 11:59PM PDT July 15th (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur)

Round 2: 1:00 AM PDT July 16th - 11:59PM PDT July 18th (Fri, Sat, Sun)

All times are listed as Pacific Daylight Time.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 1:52 PM

Is there a cut after the first round?

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 1:55 PM

No cut during the final rounds, just the cut in the qualifier.

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 2:33 PM

OK.  I have now done my duty as potential spoiler for the players at 65 (-5) in the USGA Championship.

I just shot a 62.  ;-)  

I was languishing at 66 for the past 3 weeks - and then this happens.  LOL

You guys at 65 (or higher) - you're decidedly on the bubble.

As I type this, 65 appears to be in jeopardy - sitting at 152nd place...5 more 64s or better in the next day and a half and the cut moves to 64.  (I would expect that will happen.)

I have A History with this.  Last year on Bethpage, I landed RIGHT ON the "Current" cut line right around this time...with a day or 2 left..and then the cut moved down a stroke and knocked me out.  Not again.  Not this year.

OH THE DRAMA.  PLAY WELL AND PLAY HARD!

Regards, AtlantaCoaster

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 8:19 PM

AtlantaCoaster:

OK.  I have now done my duty as potential spoiler for the players at 65 (-5) in the USGA Championship.

I just shot a 62.  ;-)  

I was languishing at 66 for the past 3 weeks - and then this happens.  LOL

You guys at 65 (or higher) - you're decidedly on the bubble.

As I type this, 65 appears to be in jeopardy - sitting at 152nd place...5 more 64s or better in the next day and a half and the cut moves to 64.  (I would expect that will happen.)

I have A History with this.  Last year on Bethpage, I landed RIGHT ON the "Current" cut line right around this time...with a day or 2 left..and then the cut moved down a stroke and knocked me out.  Not again.  Not this year.

OH THE DRAMA.  PLAY WELL AND PLAY HARD!

Regards, AtlantaCoaster

Great shooting Coaster! 

• MisterWGT
    122 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 9:31 PM

Greetings everyone!

For all those complaining about the difficulty of Oakmont... here's a great clip that perfect illustrates how insanely tough this course is!

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/38184842#38184842

Let's see how the women end up after tomorrow.  My guess is still +4 for the leader.  And will Paula take it?  Would be a great great win for her...

Enjoy!

MisterWGT

• pauls
    1,146 Posts
    Sun, Jul 11 2010 3:56 AM

that's a great clip, thanks mwgt for putting it up. 

RSS