Forums

Help › Forums

USGA Virtual Championship Discussion Thread

Mon, Jul 19 2010 12:59 AM (111 replies)
  • WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 2:42 PM

Please use this thread to discuss your USGA Virtual Championship experience!  Feel free to post your scorecards and share your best replays and stories from your USGA Virtual Championship rounds at Oakmont!

USGA Virtual Championship Leaderboard - Unofficial Final Standings

Day 7 is in the books!  All scorecards have been signed and the USGA Virtual Championship has officially come to a close!

Congratulations to BolloxInBruges who was able to face down the enormous pressure and best the field with a winning 2-round score of (-16) 124 to become the 2010 USGA Virtual Champion!  Final score and prize verification will need to take place, but an official announcement should be made very soon!

Top 10 Unofficial Final Standings

Player Pos Rnd 1 Rnd 2 Total  Par
    BolloxInBruges   1   61   63  124 -16
    dud_doodle  T2
      62   64  126 -14
    ncviz  T2
      62   64  126 -14
    jakestanfill7   4
      65   62  127 -13
    zant  T5
      65   63  128 -12
    werksux
     T5
      62   66  128 -12
    shaghar  T7   65   65  130 -10
    OFCOURSEITSTIGHT  T7   63   67  130 -10
    PortsD  T9   63   68  131  -9
    hesomist  T9   66   65  131  -9
    craiger85  T9   65   66  131  -9

Congratulations to the Top 10 finishers and thank you once again to all players who participated in this event!  We look forward to bringing you more chances to experience your very own major championships over the coming years!

Stay tuned for an official announcement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few quick facts and comments about the difficulties of Oakmont:

• Sam Snead once quipped that he tried to mark his ball on one of Oakmont's greens, but the coin slid off.
    • Arnold Palmer said,  "You can hit 72 greens [in regulation] in the Open at Oakmont and not come close to winning."
    • Lee Trevino claimed every time he two-putted at Oakmont he knew he was passing somebody on the leader board.
    • 2007 U.S. Open

Ángel Cabrera of Argentina shot five over par (285) to defeat Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk by a stroke. A course renovation had deepened the bunkers and removed over 4000 trees that had been planted mostly in the 1960s, returning the course to its original links style appearance.

The course was lengthened to 7230 yards and par was reduced by a stroke to 70, as the uphill 9th hole became a par-4. The par-3 8th hole played at 300 yards in Round 4, the par-5 12th hole at over 660 yards, and the par-4 15th at 500 yards. The average score for the field in 2007 was 75.72 (+ 5.72), with every hole averaging an over-par score.  The field recorded just 8 rounds under par, only two per round. Cabrera had two of these sub-par rounds, shooting a 69 (-1) on Thursday and Sunday.

• kotez
    53 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 10:09 PM

WGTniv:

Hey guys,

Hope you all are enjoying the new course and the new tees on St. Andrews!

Please use this thread to discuss your qualifying rounds, post some scorecards and share your best replays and stories from your USGA Virtual Championship qualifying rounds at Oakmont!

USGA Virtual Championship Qualifying Leaderboard

Current Cut Line (156+ ties): 75 (+5)

I'll update this post with the current cut line on a daily basis to make it easy to find.

Best of luck to everyone in the qualifier!  Wish I could be there with you! =)

niv, i think the qualifiers should be a one round, not a unlimited play, thats pretty much messing up the championship in my eyes

• 1billybonkers
    9 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 8:40 AM

Fantastic course,really enjoyed playing it scored 92 those greens are impossible but brilliant fun, thinking of changing my name to triple bogey-that's what the game keeps calling me!

Well done WGT

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 8:57 AM

So my best round has been a 69, which puts me in 60th place (last time I checked).

I know this will not hold so try try again. My problem has been the front. The best I have done is 2 over after nine, so I'm thinking if I can get through the front even, I'm gravy.

This morning a miracle happens and I am -3 through 9 and I'm thinking this is an easy 65 and with a bit of luck a 62-63.

What happens? Four over on the back *&$%$#%^^%$.

Damn you and your button MisterWGT.....dddaaammmmmnnnnn  yyyyoooouuuuu.........

I suck at this game.....lol

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 9:12 AM

LMAO, SC-too funny. Here's what you do next time. Save the front 9 and go do something else. Then, when you get back to the game MisterWGT will be busy elsewhere and won't see you sneak another 3 under in for a nice -6!   :-D

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 10:54 AM

What do you guys think the cut number will be come July?

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 6:00 PM

Great course, greens are evil and that is being nice to them.  Looking at that course I see 8 potential birdie holes and 10 others that you try to make par on.  I was on my game and shot 62 in the qualifier, only had one stroke I can honestly say that I could have saved, an 8 footer for birdie.  I think the cut will be around 68 (-2) but it may fall as more people play it.  I actually played with standard balls in my 62, I had run out of balls and didn't realize it till I started...........which probably helped me, no spin to figure out.  Good luck to all, St Andrews new tees are evil, I had 271 to the pin on #17 today, after a nice drive into a 21 mph wind. 

• faithful2thecall
    27 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 11:09 PM

If you're playing with starter equipment, do your average and pride a favor and don't enter.  I took a shot at it with starter equipment (outside of a gifted driver), and it was ugly.

Some of my avg stats before the round were: 72.51 scoring, 82.62% driving accuracy, 55.56% GIR, Avg to the pin. 22 ft, Avg putts 1.83.  So I'd consider myself a decent, but not good, player.

I shot 52-45-97 (+27) featuring 4 pars, 8 Doubles, 1 Triple, and 1 Quadruple.  Hit 79% of the fairways, but only 28% of the GIR.  My average distance to the pin was 21.8 ft, and it took me 2.56 putts on avg. to get in (including 2 1-putts, 5 3-putts, 2 4-putts, and 1 5-putt).

Oakmont makes Bethpage look like another St. Andrews.

• AniciusBoethius
    31 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 5:27 AM

Yeah, it is a waste of time to play unless you want to pay for the fake clubs... I shot a 91 and only  because I made some long putts.  I guess golf always ends up being a game for the people who want to spend money and not really a skill game.

• Junemonk
    4 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 7:59 AM

Agreed. Frankly Oakmont is so unfairly difficult with starter clubs it colors your opinion of the entire WGT experience. I quit (Oakmont, at least).

RSS