Forums

Help › Forums

USGA Virtual Championship Discussion Thread

Mon, Jul 19 2010 12:59 AM (111 replies)
  • BEARlyThere
    88 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:46 AM

I thought the VO qualifier at St. Andrews was tough with the tournament T's and greens.

I give up at Oak. The greens are just STUPID fast and I don't have the skill, knowledge, or patience to play it all the way through. :-(

I just got my average below 73 and I'd like to keep it there for a while...lol.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 10:12 AM

Haha Jim, very funny.

But nope, I'm sad to say I'm not tibbets, just a remember that briefly recalls getting his ass kicked by him a few months ago.

I'd imagine that with the advantages we have since he left, he'd be able to break 50.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 6:46 AM

I love Oakmont, a fantastic challenge that has me beat so far. I started eagle, birdie this morning and still finished with a 69. 4 putting the 18th didn't help much though, lol.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Jun 12 2010 11:20 AM

One thing about this Oakmont course and the qualifying, it is pretty much showing exactly who should be in the upcoming "Elite" tier, take a snapshot of the top 300 look a little further and 80% fit the mold I'm sure.....

I really like the change up on these wicked fast greens, great challenge and enjoy the variety in instills since we never get to play tournament speed most times.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jun 12 2010 11:41 AM

jayjonbeach:
    One thing about this Oakmont course and the qualifying, it is pretty much showing exactly who should be in the upcoming "Elite" tier,

Wouldn't it be sneaky cool to do just this? The top so many form that tier. A new level of sandbagging could emerge, too. Maybe even a whole new bunch of IDs when this is realized. LOL-the chaos!   :-D

• GSilva
    3 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 5:27 PM

I have given up on Oakmont!!

The greens are ridiculous...I think the best I have done there is 86.

How someone shoots under par there is beyond me.

There is NO fun is playing one that course.

If I want to play crappy golf I will go out and play for real, at least there I have a fighting chance of enjoying myself

• Junemonk
    4 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 8:34 PM

After quitting and going back to it a few times, I still have to agree. It stinks (to put it mildly). Frankly, I'd rather beat myself over the head with my clubs than play Oakmont on WGT.

I keep thinking, would I rather spend my money on Golden Tee at a bar with friends (where I can at least have fun competing, even if it's not terribly realistic), or spend money on WGT where I'm fighting against devious UI designed (apparently) to suck my money for better clubs and performance...

Guess I'm off to the local pub.

Hang in there!

• eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 1:57 AM

Junemonk:
    I keep thinking, would I rather spend my money on Golden Tee at a bar with friends (where I can at least have fun competing, even if it's not terribly realistic), or spend money on WGT where I'm fighting against devious UI designed (apparently) to suck my money for better clubs and performance.

The Oakmont USGA setup is not even the hardest setup!!. can you imagine Stronger wind?? what about championship green speed?.

i think WGT have done something here that no other golf game developers have done and that is to create a realistic golf game for golfers (not gamers). the accuracy of Oakmont is impressive and WGT don't deserve criticism for this one. if the conditions were any easier it would take the fun out completely.

also just to remind all the whiners, that the qualifier is unlimited.  i cant tell you how many times i've restarted until i'm at least -4 after 9 holes. the real life course record is 63 and 63 is also my best score on here. 

the current USGA Leaderboard is an accurate display of the best players on here when it comes to Unlimited tourney's. those players can grind out good scores. you watch for the single play. the real scores will show.

• Kurtsbuford
    7,592 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 5:04 AM

Agreed eternal, the setup in extremely realistic, its calm out there, and the greens are very well maintained, morning and evening cutting for sure, LOL.  Its pure fun, and very well done by the wgt staff.

• KnuckleWoods
    2,482 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 5:23 AM

Oakmont is a challenge but when Bethpage came out the only equipment we had back then were Drivers that hit 230-235yds  The equipment WGT has now is great   Try playing Bethpage with the Beginner Clubs or Starter Clubs and see the challenge we had playing that Open. Keep practicing and your game and scores will improve.            Spend more time playing and less time complaining

RSS