Forums

Help › Forums

USGA Virtual Championship Discussion Thread

Mon, Jul 19 2010 12:59 AM (111 replies)
  • AFCBNeil
    13 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 8:26 AM

Having got to Master level just before the new tough conditions started, I'm now back to about 74 average and really struggling. My putting confidence is at rock bottom and I haven't shot a par round for what seems like months. HELP!

• ThunderBoltz
    740 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 8:32 AM

Help on the Putting greens!!!!!! AHHHHH

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 9:27 AM

My best is a 64; but my recent round featured a 29 on the front and a 35 (with a double and regular bogey).

Replay: check out the eagle on my profile on Oakmont #12.

Also, nickolijj made an eagle on #1 (on his profile).

• AniciusBoethius
    31 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 2:24 PM

As long as you realize that you are just playing the game for yourself i think the starter clubs probably give most of us golfers a more real feel of what it might be like to play on a course like this.  To think that I have a 73 average is silly, and even a 91 would be something I would be proud of on a great course. 

So I guess us poor folk get a more real experience and I will happily take my high scores.  Its still fun to try to figure out how to hit it out of the worst of all possible places.

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 6:06 PM

I just shot a 69...and I THINK I MIGHT BE THE ONE WHO MOVED THE CUT LINE.

It was 70 when I started the round...and now THE CUT IS 69.

Scorecard below.

Notables:

1st time I have scored a PAR Total for the FRONT 9.

1st time I have gotten a PAR on # 9.

# 6 - Putted it IN THE CUP from the BACK FRINGE - a treacherous downhill 18 foot side-winding curveball - and it dropped - trying to read this downhill curving putt out of the FRINGE (on top of everything else) - turned out to be a GOOD GUESS.  In it went.

#17 - The Critical Birdie almost did not drop - a 9 foot uphill Right to Left curveball that MADE SURE it stopped my heart as it ROLLED AROUND THE EDGE and fell in.

# 18 - Needed a PAR...I had to make it exciting.  YANKED the DRIVE to the FAR LEFT ROUGH - even further LEFT of the DITCH.  30/40 ROUGH and 238 to the Hole.  I HIT A PUNCH SHOT (about 185) back out to the FAIRWAY short of the bunker in front of the Green.  3rd shot - a towering 90 Yard wedge shot that stopped 5 feet above the hole.  No guts not glory - the putt had some BREAK IN IT and I lined it up with the middle of the hole and even though it was only 5 feet I played it as if 6 - took some nerve on Tournament speed.  Banged it right in dead center.  PAR.

Play On,  AtlantaCoaster

• bryant1
    62 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:51 PM

i just shot a 67 at Oakmont and felt like i kicked it's ass. Then I look at the leaderboard and 57 is the low score. Give me a fricken break. I've played almost every master there is to play and I have yet to play anyone that could have shot -13 on that course. I would imagine that by the time the deadline gets here there will be a -18 posted. Then go and check the ready go's where the money is and you'll see the same thing.

I had one knucklehead last week offer to send me a link that he said his buddy uses that lets you dime the meter every time. Is there any truth to this? If there is and it's not gettin caught I'm done spending money on virtual balls and ready go's.

No need to post this, let's just get to the bottom of it. I'll bet I've spendt over $200 on this site but I think I'm done. Guess you got me for that much at least.

• bryant1
    62 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 9:29 PM

What's this Pro Shot software crap these guys are downloading to shoot these stupid low scores. If it's going around on the forums you guys at WGT oughta be able to figure it out and stop it. Gimme a fricken break.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 11:02 AM

bryant1:

What's this Pro Shot software crap these guys are downloading to shoot these stupid low scores. If it's going around on the forums you guys at WGT oughta be able to figure it out and stop it. Gimme a fricken break.

bryant, as far as I'm concerned, there is no software. And Hell, I'm the guy that shot 57.

I've heard programs brought up on the site, but never seen the threads myself, only heard about them from other members. The only programs I've seen are ones that you can place a window over your meter to judge how far each shot was, I tried it out and it turned out to be a bigger pain than it was worth, and WGT locked all of the threads promoting it and deemed it illegal.

When I first joined up here, a member named tibbets was dominating everything. His average was a 57 and he won every single tournament he entered. I thought to myself "This isn't possible, no one can do that!" But I kept on practicing. I kept taking notes on every hole and every possible shot/putt position to turn those pars into birdies. Eventually, I saw myself have a big jump in skill level and I was up there competing with tibbets, and nowadays, the likes of AvatarLee and Bollox.

About my round, I birdied 12 holes and eagled #2. You don't know how many times I got frustrated after four holes and quit, often taking a break just to get my game back in order. I think you're right, we will probably see lower scores posted, but you can't be accusing everyone of cheating just because they have a low score. Sure, it's difficult, but it can [and will] be shot!

Keep playing! TLD

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 1:59 PM

TheLighterDark:
    When I first joined up here, a member named tibbets was dominating everything.

LMAO, TLD. I did all sorts of code breaking trying to figure if "tibetts" could be turned into "TheLighterDarK." Your 57 had his style written all over it and I thought maybe he'd moved to the south and resurfaced! As it is I haven't seen AvatarLee speaking up here so either he's on vacation or he moved south too. Nice to have that influence, eh? Shoot a super score and immediately get linked to the best of the past and present.   ;-)

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 6:09 PM

so far Oakmont is eating me alive. I thought I was beginning to play really well and had just gotten my average to 69 and started playing the Open qualifier and so far the best I have been able to shoot is a 85 and my average is back over 80. and it's the putting that's killing me. I just finished a round of 91 with 44o putts. and that included 2  1 putt birdies and 2 1 putt pars. So you can imagine what the other 14 holes were like. But as bad as I'm doing I think oakmont is great and with continue to try to at least break 80.

RSS