Forums

Help › Forums

Pro to Master

rated by 0 users
Thu, Mar 18 2010 12:43 PM (9 replies)
  • Adam7777
    5 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 5:55 AM

My score at the moment is pro 66 , i use default clubs , i have bought no clubs/balls .

I'm needing -4 scores on a 9 hole course to get lower than 66 , im struggling to do it , i have had -5 and -4 scores on 9 holes but it's rare and thats why im getting frustrated that i can't get master yet!

I'm trying to wait for master until i buy some clubs or anything.

Can anyone tell me any tips on me getting master pretty soon please ?

Is it common that people dont buy clubs until master ? or have i done it the hard/silly way ?

Also what is the score needed for master , surely i must be close now ?

Thanks

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:25 AM

Start with your putter. I think you can purchase any putter and would not needto upgrade. Even with wedges, most master's are using one or more wedges that are not master wedges. 

I think most of us did buy other clubs as well before we made master but that is totally your choice. 

You are extremely close to making the master tier. I made mine on breaking 66 so if I were you, I would hold off on other clubs just because you are so close anyways. 

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:28 AM

After a quick glance at your stats, I see putting is killing you right now.

Get yourself a putter now (before the jump to the Master tier), preferably a high accuracy putter like the Redwood or Daytona (available for Pro+ tier).

Then ask yourself, are you really ready for the Master tier?   Again, after looking at your stats, I'd say the answer right now is probably no.   Remember, when you make the Master tier, you tee off from further away, and will be dealing with Very Fast greens more often than not.   You'll also be in the tier which has has ALL the top players in this game, which means you'll be competing against these people in tournaments.   Many threads are created in these forums from very frustrated people who were not happy with the bump up to the Master tier.   And once you get bumped up, there is no going back to the Pro tier.

I recommend just posting all your ranked rounds (regardless of good and bad) and move up to the Master tier when your game is ready for it.   Don't force the issue, you may end up regretting it.

That said, if you really want to move up, just post your good ranked rounds.

• Adam7777
    5 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:31 AM

Many thanks for your reply , appreciate it .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:57 AM

Adam7777:
    Is it common that people dont buy clubs until master ? or have i done it the hard/silly way ?

No, Adam, you've done it the admirable way. Marioh's advice is right on and the way to go. This doesn't mean the game can't get easier for you by buying clubs. Developing your own feel for the game is what makes it fun and do not be hesitant to spend a little on selective clubs.The putter and a driver will pay huge dividends in fun. Just don't go hog wild yet because when you do get to master you will have many choices (I bet they will increase when Oakmont comes out too.)

By posting all your scores you will see your actual ability reflected. Somes days you kill and others you get killed-it all evens out. Eventually you'll become very consistent and will be wherever you belong. GL and welcome to the addiction.  ;-)

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 7:22 AM

Adam7777:

Many thanks for your reply , appreciate it .

You're welcome.

By the way, WGT doesn't post what the threshold is for moving from Pro to Master, but it's suspected to be in the 65-66 average range.

I recommend you move up when your game is ready because many people feel the game loses the fun factor (for awhile while they get adjusted) when they move to the Master tees (and have to putt on very fast greens).  

The way you're going about this will save you money, but since the good putters are available to you now, that is probably the best upgrade you can make at this point in time.   You could probably also look at wedges now as well.

But once you finally make the Master tier, a top of the line driver and high end irons are a must if you want to be competitive.

• Adam7777
    5 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 7:24 AM

Well to my suprise i just made master right now! what a co-incedence! i have actually been stuck on 66 and 67 for about a week!

I had a short put for birdie on last hole , and it took me 20 mins to decide wheather to putt it in or not (ie to stay pro or go master) I decided to putt it so now im master and i need to buy some clubs now! i'm thinking about the master sets.

i look forward to playing master and hope it will be just as fun :) lots of choices to be made!

Thankyou for your advice.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 12:21 PM

Get one of the master tier drivers, a big hitting 3 wood, the G10 Master irons, and either the redwood or daytona putter.   There's a nice selection of wedges as well, just look for the high accuracy wedges.

Check out what other Master tier players have in their bags, particularly some of the top level players.

There's a big learning curve moving from the Pro tees to Master tees (especially with the different swing meter speed), so hang in there.

Cheers.

• pmgaudio
    7 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 12:37 PM

on the same sort of note, I have noticed players ranked amature that are CLEARLY not, but are "dogging" along.

Is this a commen practice to play good enough to beat anyone but score high enough to stay low ranked?
    and if so it does not seem all that "gentlemen" like.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 12:43 PM

pmgaudio:

on the same sort of note, I have noticed players ranked amature that are CLEARLY not, but are "dogging" along.

Is this a commen practice to play good enough to beat anyone but score high enough to stay low ranked?
    and if so it does not seem all that "gentlemen" like.

Those players are called "sandbaggers".

And that type of behavior is frowned upon by the community.

RSS