Help › Forums

Cache Size

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 12 2010 9:07 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 12:51 AM

Is there a minimum cache size this site requires for its game assets.  Just a thought, it could have a impact on browser performance.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 5:03 AM

Infinito3010:
    Is there a minimum cache size this site requires for its game assets.  Just a thought, it could have a impact on browser performance.

Right click on the Play Now button and look at this:

Set it to 1 MB and you should be ok.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 7:25 AM

Adobe flash cache is not the issue, it is the browser cache that I'm curious about.

Even with background loading off.  I was playing St. Andrews and within a couple of holes the size of the cache went from 121 MB to 144 MB.   That is significant.   Usually with browsers there is a default cache size.  Presently I have it set at 500 MB.  Before it was set at 250 MB, and it was full.   If the cache is not set high enough, that could be one of the  causal affects  to the latency and  performance of the meter.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 9:11 AM

Infinito3010:

Adobe flash cache is not the issue, it is the browser cache that I'm curious about...

... If the cache is not set high enough, that could be one of the  causal affects  to the latency and  performance of the meter.

Hmmmm... mine was set at 100MB. After reading this, I cleared it and I upped it to 500MB, just to see what happens. Sorta makes sense to me, as long as the cache isn't so big that it causes a delay as it's being addressed.

Infinito, have you noticed a difference in performance since your change? I'll report back if I notice any differences, as well.

I've never seen more than 30kb used in my Adobe Flash cache, but it could add up, as there are alot of sites using flash nowadays. My "global" setting in flash is 150.

Interesting thread.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 9:24 AM

I think its going to take a couple of days before the cache fills up.  I am monitoring the size, and at the same time looking at meter performance.  Thus when there is a meter spike I look at the cache and see if it has changed.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 9:54 AM

Question, is the background loading turned off?  Settings indicate its off by default.  However, I do see the cache at times increasing between holes after the next hole is visible on the screen.

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 10:03 AM

Infinito3010:

I am monitoring the size . . .

I do see the cache at times increasing between holes after the next hole is visible on the screen . . .

Where/How do your see/do this?

Warren

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 10:39 AM

I use firefox, so if you do a search for a directory called "cache" you can watch it with windows explorer and see if there is any changes.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 1:13 PM

Infinito3010:

I use firefox, so if you do a search for a directory called "cache" you can watch it with windows explorer and see if there is any changes.

Are we speaking of the same thing when we say "internet cache"? What I'm able to adjust (sizewise) is the temporary internet file, in IE. Windows recommends a max of 250MB, but it can be as large as a GB if needed. As I said, I increased the size of mine to 500MB for the time-being.

From using a "cache manager" program ("Cacheman") on my old 'puter, I learned that other things like "chunk size" come into play when manually adjusting the cache. Hopefully, by simply enlarging the cache filesize, some performance change will be noticed, whether it be better or worse, thus showing evidence of some correlation.

For the record, however, even after I've cleared my temporary internet file immediately before starting-up WGT, I've had meter-stutter and jerky graphics within a round or two of doing so. But we shall see.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 1:44 PM

Yes, internet cache is what I'm referring to.  You really shouldn't have any performance degradation.  There is an index.dat file that has all the info of each file stored in your cache for internet explorer.

You might have to play several rounds for the assets to be downloaded to your computer.  As for my system,  here is a summary

CPU:  intel 3.0 Ghz dual core;

Ram:  2 gigabytes; matched 1 gigabyte sims

Video card: nvidia gforce with 512 MB of ram

Browser: Firefox 3.6

O/S:   XP-pro;

• PAGES
RSS