Forums

Help › Forums

My new laptop

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 10 2010 1:48 PM (8 replies)
  • andyoz
    465 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 3:09 PM

I have been playing WGT on my PC for a few years. I would like to think I am a very good player, a master with an average of around 65. I play this game most days and love it. I do well in competitions and am always up there competing. Basically I love this game. However a few days ago my PC died.

So I decided to get myself a nice laptop. After setting it all up and sorting things out I logged on to WGT. I was happy to see everything loading quickly and looking as normal. However when I played the game I had problems.

The swing meter goes down so fast on my driver that I can't get anywhere near the ding. It sort of supper fast stutters past the mark and hitting anywhere near the mark is just pure luck. Even on short putts when the meter is slow I struggle. I am sure other people have had similar probelms.

Does anyone know why Im having these promlems and if I can do anything about them? Is it anything to do with the fact I'm now on a wireless conection? I love this game but if this continues there is no way I can continue playing. I lost 5 balls in 9 holes earlier, I don't think I've lost one ball in the last 100 rounds! So you can see my dilema! Can anyone help?

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 4:04 PM

What operating system are you using now and what browser does it have? 

Also, what was your old computer?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 4:46 PM

andy-If you haven't looked at the msconfig file now's the time to do it. Your new laptop has a ton of stuff set up to start on every boot. It's the way they come and most of it you'll never use. It really clogs everything up and is probably what's causing your troubles.

This thread will help you figure out if that's your problem-scroll down a bit.  GL

http://wgt.com/forums/t/6655.aspx?PageIndex=2

• andyoz
    465 Posts
    Wed, Mar 10 2010 2:37 AM
    Thanks for the replies. My old computer was a Dell running on windows xp and I was using google crome. My laptop is a dell inspiron, using windows 7 and have tried crome again. Will have a look at that other thread later. Cheers
  • andyoz
    465 Posts
    Wed, Mar 10 2010 11:12 AM

OK.  I've tried what it said in that thread, closing down programmes etc....  No joy.  I have a feeling that my problem is that my new processor is just to fast?  I have tried and tried and when using my driver or my good wedges its impossible to stop on the ding, unless I fluke it.  On my old computer the bar went fast but it was possible with skill to hit the ding.  Now its just not possible!

Is this something that other users have found.  Does it mean that the people who are amazing at this game are just using really slow processors?  And does this mean that I will no longer be able to play WGT?

Somebody help?!?

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Wed, Mar 10 2010 11:42 AM

My first guess is that it is a combination of Win7 and flash plugin. Why ? Meter speed shall be constant regardless of the hw platform, otherwise this game would make no sense (btw I am planning to record meter speed with various clubs to post them somewhere in the forums but I am still lacking time to do so). To achieve the meter has to be timer-driven, and the timer obviously is part of Flash API. The fact that it doesn't quite work with your laptop suggests that there is a miscalculation between the flash plugin and the API offered by Win7.

Few thing could be done to verify this: try to install WinXP on another partition on the laptop and check if the issue remains (or find a friend who's got the same or similar one with WinXP and will allow you to launch some practice shots).

Also, maybe it is worth checking if the flash version you've installed hasn't got mentioned somewhere in the release notes issues with Win7 platform (maybe there's even a separate Win7 release ? Is it a 64 or 32-bit system ?).

Second guess: I'm not sure if all laptops have that feature, but some have a utility to switch between different performance modes to balance consumption of battery power - you could check if your issue is not a result of having some kind of powersave or default mode turned on, which causes processor to reduce its frequency when the game is idle, but then when the meter is redrawn it wakes up to higher clock and it confuses the operating system and flash plugin timings driving meter speed.

Based on my experiences with laptops I considered them a poor choice for performance demanding tasks, and wgt is an example where stability of the environment is crucial for successful play. Your case seems to support that desktops are superior to laptops in that measure.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 10 2010 11:57 AM

andyoz:
    Somebody help?!?

Try a sleeve of the GI balls just to see if it slows down. On the Flash version right-click the Play Game tab and check the version under the About tab . It should be 10,0,45,2 .

I play exclusively on a 64 bit Window Vista system Toshiba laptop with 4GB Ram and a 2.2Gb CPU and it performs superbly. I use fast meters on everything. It sounds like you got bumped into 2010 with that processor and either get to learn the new speed or buy balls that slow it down. You've been here a long time and learned the fast meter before-I say you can do it again. GL

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Wed, Mar 10 2010 12:31 PM

While I agree that installing XP on another partition is a great idea, thats a bit of work, its great having a dualboot system though for many reasons, comes in especially handy when you get a virus....

Before going that far I would try something a little easier, try firefox and/or IE explorer and see if you find any difference at all.  There may or may not be but its easy to do and worth trying I think. 

It does sound more to do with how Flash is working on Windows 7 but I have no experience with Windows 7 and have not seen much talk about it yet either

• andyoz
    465 Posts
    Wed, Mar 10 2010 1:48 PM

Thanks again for the replies.  I checked my flash player and it was not using that version you quoted.  So ive downloaded the correct version.  It does seem to be a little better now, I think I may be able to manage.  Maybe I will just have to learn how to play all over again.  Thanks everyone

RSS