Help › Forums

Inconsistent Greens

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 9 2010 9:44 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • carlspackler69
    2 Posts
    Sat, Mar 6 2010 10:32 PM
    I understand that when you deal with mothernature sometimes greens are inconsistent. However, I never would expect to experience the inconsistencies that one would experience on a real golf course within a video game. Please help. I think if the inconsistency of the power bar and the green grid continues I will no longer play this game. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve putting and deal/manage the inconsistency of this beta.
  • macbar
    79 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:53 AM

I feel the same way. I hit the same putt on two different greens and get night and day different results, particularly in tournaments. I've heard the arguments about it being a beta game and such and I would normally tend to agree with this position. However, I'm beginning to wonder if the accuracy of one's game is not directly tied to the amount of money one spends with WGT. Otherwise, how would one explain the fact that other players consistently post 9 and 10 under scores on 9-hole tournaments? I've been playing this game since June of 09 and have spent well over a hundred dollars on equipment and tournaments. I've also played at least as many rounds as some of the premier players but never seem to be able to reach their plateau and whenever I get a good round going, the game seems to throw me a curve to knock me back down no matter how consistently I'm playing. No sour grapes, just frustrated at the lack of return for my investment.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 10:07 AM

Like most others, I find the putting terribly consistent, almost too much as has been said before.  

If you guys haven't seen it yet, check the putting tips over there ------>>>>>>>

That is a huge help, as is having a very good putter. 

--------------------------------------

Now what I do wonder however, and I don't think I seen confirmed anywhere, is the WIND playing a part in putting? 

This would be especially important on St. Andrews where I have seen more complaints on putting than anywhere else, if true, this would be realistic, we just need to know for sure!   An answer from WGT would help here to know for sure.

I did just miss a 8 foot putt with no break because it came up short on a very fast green, I hit the putt about 7.5 feet so I am thinking the 30mph might be why. 

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 10:14 AM

Carl..   You have been playing for four days and have 6 ranked rounds.  This is a golf sim, not a video game.  You cannot expect to see great results with a low amount of time put in.  Keep playing, and I 100% guarantee that you will improve sooner rather than later.

• youareintrouble
    103 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 10:20 AM

Fellows its the clubs. The ratings give the clubs a variable. I have the same issue w/lots of putts leavin within a foot. If they were to program the game to do the same ball path and power w/every stroke we all would post 10-. The meter is so precise that you can be off a foot and see almost no difference in the meter. Even an EXCELLENT aim still will depend on the precision of the club. There is always a bug issue w/VIDEO GAMES esp. the putting window for success in this one. It is A game and all of them have issues here and there. The only place to get the true reading w/bugs is on the real course. It will never be perfect to the true physics of GOFF but this is the best one ive played in 20 years.  I like the variable of club precision for it keeps it challenging every stroke and not like that Very easy Tiger woods online crap. Tx WGT for staying away from EA sports lack of hustle. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 10:33 AM

macbar:
    I feel the same way. I hit the same putt on two different greens and get night and day different results, particularly in tournaments

mac-Your putter has 1/2 the accuracy of the Redwood and Daytona. Even the Anser has 50% more accuracy. You might think about renting one just to see. GL

• macbar
    79 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 11:03 AM

Thanks YankeeJim. I'll do just that. I did try the Redwood but no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the feel for it. For one thing, I don't do a lot of target dragging when setting up a putt. More often than not, I'll vary the speed and hit the shot left or right of the centerline to account for the break. I know that this affects the speed and I adjust to account for it. I find this easier than trying to hit a dead solid perfect shot on each putt since a NOT dead solid perfect strike, not matter how accurate the aim will result in a seriously offline putt. I'll try the different putters. Maybe one of them will work.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 1:11 PM

macbar:
    For one thing, I don't do a lot of target dragging when setting up a putt. More often than not, I'll vary the speed and hit the shot left or right of the centerline to account for the break

I do the exact same thing with the Redwood but only after having practiced it and only on certain lines. Kind of a feel thing. Dinging the putt is always best and if you follow the Putting Tips in the FAQ section you can learn to keep your backswing very short and make dinging easier by using larger scales for putting. This thread is a good discussion on the putter        http://wgt.com/forums/t/4232.aspx?PageIndex=1. Pay particular attention to what Bollox says later in the thread-very important.

The Daytona has the same specs with a slower meter speed and a 60 ft scale instead of a 45 so it compares. GL

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 12:42 PM

carlspackler69:
    I understand that when you deal with mothernature sometimes greens are inconsistent. However, I never would expect to experience the inconsistencies that one would experience on a real golf course within a video game. Please help. I think if the inconsistency of the power bar and the green grid continues I will no longer play this game. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve putting and deal/manage the inconsistency of this beta.

Carl, this game is meant to be as realistic as a real game. That's why, as you say,   "... I never would expect to experience the inconsistencies that one would experience on a real golf course within a video game" are an integral part of WGT.

If you prefer the unrealism of a video game, then this is not the game for you. But, that's why we all love it so.

• carlspackler69
    2 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 2:18 PM
    Not following your inconsistent advice cowboy. I actually would prefer to be able to execute shots -- like putting from the fringe or from 30 feet from the green at St. Andrews because those are actually real things you should expect to be able to do on a golf course. However because as you so wisely pointed out that this is not real game nor is it a video game, I will have to manage these mushy middle inconsistencies of a 2 year old beta product.
  • PAGES
RSS