Forums

Help › Forums

Driver question for Masters

rated by 0 users
Thu, Mar 4 2010 12:11 PM (9 replies)
  • ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 1:05 PM
    Masters..... Will the 255 yard Rapture Pro Driver suffice from the Master tees, or will I need something longer? I am worried about the fast meter of the long drivers. Thank you in advance.
  • OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 1:41 PM

No, you will need the R9 to be competitive.  It might take some time getting used to the meter but you'll be just fine with a little time.  Besides, you can slow down the meter with the GI balls.  The GI2 balls slow the meter down the most, more comparable to what you see now with the Rapture clubs, but most Masters are playing the GI-SD ball.  

I would pair it with either a GI2-S or GI2-D ball at first until you feel more confident in moving to the slightly faster but vastly superior GI-SD.

Good luck when you hit Master.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 2:02 PM

Thank you Toke.  I will heed your advice when it happens. 

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 2:15 PM

The meter speed, well all high precision clubs have the fast meter it seems.

That EXTRA small sweet spot on the R9 however, that really leaves something to be desired.  Now I know why people are spraying balls all over the place and visiting the rough everywhere.

I do wonder if the Ping driver sweet spot is bigger and I know the extra precision sure would be nice for a lousy 5yard trade-off.  Guess I'll rent it someday many many moons from now when I'm good enough to get into a ready-go and be competitive. 

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 2:34 PM

Good advice on the balls...yes the GI-SD is superior for most of us.

When you make it to master when going from slower meter to faster meter clubs, there is a get used to it period most of us older guys have to go thru...you will be cussing about making master for about a month while you get used to the new meter.

Which ever clubs you chose, try to make sure there all the same meter speed. IMHO this helps you learn the meter faster. Out of all the clubs available, the clubs with the highest precision will give you over all the best satisfaction.

The only change I have with that idea in mind..I have the r9. It is less precise than the g-10 master, but what fun!

This is just my opinion, your millage will vary.

• youareintrouble
    103 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 3:37 PM

i had the same thought....only i had the 245 rapture....i felt the minimum for the next tee was the pro rapture. You better be dern good with the second shot from far.  Chances R u wont be competitive w/the field. 

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 8:41 PM
    Thanks for all the input fellas. This whole thing has got me losing sleep almost, and I'm sandbagging myself (I don't play for credits or in touneys) trying to stay Pro. I am now in a situation that when and if I move up a tier I will need to change out ALL of my clubs. If I go with a Master driver I will be stuck with the slow Rapture Irons and super-slow Spider putter which I love. This gets all my clubs on different meter speeds which sucks. I have a hard enough time with the fast wedges now. If I use the meter slowing balls they will slow my irons, wood and putter down even more. I guess the only option is to 69 everything I have and get all fast clubs. Not happy about that prospect. If WGT is listening, I would be willing to pay a premium for a Master Rapture. I wish I could talk myself into believing that 15 yards does not make a huge difference, but according to your fine recommendations it does.
  • ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 8:46 AM

I have decided to curtail my quest for Master status.  I will start posting each and every round instead of posting only 33-32's.  I will also explore the other courses more thoroughly instead of just blasting Kiawah looking for great rounds.  I am not ready to move up yet and will enjoy this game in a Pro status until I feel I am truly worthy.

Thanks gentlemen.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 9:25 AM

ghettocop1:
    Will the 255 yard Rapture Pro Driver suffice from the Master tees, or will I need something longer?

In my personal opinion that will be sufficient enough. It is very possible to be successful on here without so to speak the "best" equipment. One particular player comes to mind. He played with all tour starters clubs for as long as i can remember. Played very successfully.

Although he recently just upgraded his clubs, but point is you dont have to upgrade to play well.

When i first started playing this game oh a year or so ago. The best upgrade the game had was the tour starters. Funny part is although I may have  a few more eagles in my resume' the quality of golf is still the same. The U.S. open last year is the pedestal of great golf with "dud" clubs.

Hit em good

• Noobiedork
    12 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 12:11 PM
    Good for ya.... I think Im gonna buy my G10's tonight.... so maybe we can play a round later... cya Noob
RSS