Help › Forums

looking to drop a few $'s

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:56 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Noobiedork
    12 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 3:22 PM
    So Im looking to upgrade to some real clubs... Ive tried the starter plus models, They are ok, but Im about to bump up a teir or so and I really feel the need for some more power and maybe a little more forgivingness.... I need the forgiving club the most hehe.... what do yall suggest???? I need a putter for sure., but what clubs? and should I get the whole club package deals or purchase each seperatly? Thanks.
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 3:32 PM

If you can afford it, buy the most expensive TM putter for 7.50, best purchase I ever made.

Then buy the WGT Tour Pro driver, 245 yards for 300 credits, those two things alone could get you to Master and 10 bucks, pretty economical. 

Got a couple more bucks, buy the WGT Tour Pro 3W for a 1.20 and a good wedge helps wonders around the green, PING Tour W Pro 60° and TaylorMade Z-Satin TP Pro 52°for 2 bucks each. 

This is more or less exactly what I did.  Once you hit Master, you need the good irons and longer drivers but the above will get you there and not break the bank. 

Some cheap balls to slow the meter a little too,    WGT GI-D  for 50 cents work good. 

Happy hitting. 

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 3:46 PM
    I just play by myself and don't compete with others, but I am happy with my clubs for now. If and when I make Master I will need another driver, but for now I'm happy. The Raptures take alot of heat here, and not many like them. Forgiveness they do have however. I don't know how much you want to spend, but I like the Rapture Pro Irons very much. The meter is slow and they are forgiving. They cover all of the yardages well, but are probably much less accurate than some of the other clubs. I like the slow meter and forgiveness of the 10.5 Driver and the Fairway wood as well. If I could do it again, I would not buy the Hybrid, cause I'm not in the rough much anymore at any distance. I would opt for a third wedge. As far as putters go, I got the Spider. It's far superior to the starter putter, but not very precise. Again, it has a slow meter and good forgiveness. I've not used the Daytona or Redwood though, so I am just making an educated guess based on comparison charts. One thing is for certain. When you upgrade clubs your game will improve greatly
  • Noobiedork
    12 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 3:47 PM
    thanks for the tip , Ill take a look at those... Im kinda leaning towards the taylor burner beginner set. mainly for the burner plus.club set, and the drivers are a bonus... I wasnt sure on putters.... Ive only used the newbie one so I have no idea on the comparison.
  • Noobiedork
    12 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 3:57 PM

any ideas if this set would carry me well enough if I make master?

• melcom6
    11 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 4:06 PM

hey noobie if it was me i would buy the rapture pro v2 irons and rapture driver and the 54 wedge and 64 wedge and for putters go for the redwood its the same and for me better than the dayton!!hope this helps

greetings melcom6

• Noobiedork
    12 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 4:25 PM
    Since Im asking everyone, I figure yall may have an idea if that is actually important? Forgivness that is.... The putters rrrr they have me thrown off but the dayton seems to be the choice so far... yikes for a full set of the v2 pro's is 32$ Im hopeing to spend a little less.. more like the $25 range with a set and the putter.. Kinda narrows my search down some huh?.
  • ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 8:07 PM

Noob, I might rethink getting the Burner Beginner set. You can get either the G10 Pro Full set or the Tour Burner Full set for less than $2 more. They have a faster meter, but I believe they are better clubs and you can compensate somewhat for meter speed with GI balls. 

I got the V2 Pro set when I turned Pro and I loved them, but the transition to the G10 Master set with the faster meter was very difficult when I made Master.

The Redwood is a great putter, but for me, the Daytona is worth the extra buck fifty. Getting a good putter was the single purchase that increased my enjoyment of the game the most. After having used the Starter putter, either one of these will make putting a joy.

Also, you can rent clubs for day. Be aware that the rental cost does not decrease the purchase cost if you decide to buy.

Good luck!

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 10:25 PM

I tried out the burner beginner set out of curiosity, they aren't bad, but they are not a good value, and I found the yardage spacing to be awkward.

The WGT tour starters and wedges are still the best as far as value - just use a ball with spin, the cheap B-ES is fine, Tour S or SD even better.  The WGT tour pro irons are good for 50cent's more, but, and I can't say this with 100% certainty, but I think the non-pro's have a slightly higher loft and land softer - which imo is better than the 5 extra yards (plus they can come in orange.. ha ha)

I played the tour starters for a long time as a pro, and have had at some point nearly every club in the pro shop in the bag. So if anyone cares....

Birdwell's el-cheapo bag recommendations:

Tour Pro 9.5° Driver                                             300 credits

Tour Pro 3 Fairway Wood                                   120 credits

Tour Starter 3 Hybrid 19° (Steel)                       100 credits

Tour Starter Iron Set (Steel)                                300 credits
    Snake Eye's 685BX 56° Wedge *                        100 credits
    Tour Starter 60° Wedge                                       100 credits
    Taylormade Spider putter                                    400 credits
    total                                                                        1420 credits
    That's a really good bag for a pro for under $15. Nothing in this bag has a fast meter speed, but it's not as slow as the raptures, so a future transition to R9's or G10's is not as painful. Plus you should feel like you don't need to buy balls with feel to slow down the meter, thus saving a little $$ along the way.
    OF course, if you want to drop $25 or more, better can be had.
    *The seemingly random Snake eye's wedge might seem odd. But trust me it is a really great club for chipping and pitching especially.  The Snake eye's 60° Wedge is also good, but the Tour Starter is the one WGT wedge with a little spin - Until the 64° Wedges came out,  this was in a lot of the top Masters bags- usually in GOld.. :)
    ...sorry the formating of the end of my post is bad.. it got fubar and I can't seem to fix it!

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 11:43 PM

Hey Doob

Ive owned a lot of different clubs i recommend buying the daytona putter its by far the best as for clubs get the ping g10`s a60dg and 54dg wedges i say this as meter speed transition is a killer when you make master gi balls will slow it down a touch.

this is a little more expensive option but at the end of the day the best option spend a little extra and spend it once. TM`s are also very good but they have a lower trajectory which is hard to use on lofted greens.

Good luck with your decision hope this helps

chip

• PAGES
RSS