Forums

Help › Forums

Uncompleted Rounds... A Modest Proposal:

Mon, Dec 21 2009 7:49 AM (24 replies)
  • Spike_Marx
    5 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2009 5:42 PM

In an effort to discourage, or at least quantify, the number of rounds that are started but not finished, I offer the following…

After the Player’s name and Scoring Average, add the total number of rounds completed, followed by the total number of rounds started. It could look something like this:

SPIKE MARX

TIER                                                      AVG SCORE                 COMP/RNDS

Hack                      73.87            30 / 72

Perhaps the round could be considered “started” once the player has completed the 1st hole. Sometimes it takes a couple of swings to figure out that your nine holes of golf are going to take forever to play… due to too many players, poor connections, or whatever.

At any rate, I believe that it would encourage players to finish the rounds that they have started, and it would add (or not) legitimacy to those scoring averages.

Food for thought…

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2009 6:52 PM

When they make it so the multi rounds don't affect you'r avg, that will help some. If that is all I had to concern myself with, while playing this game, was somebodies avg, I'd be in poor shape! I played in a multi game today, with 2 hack's, and they both quit. I could careless what you, or anybody else does on here.

When you have been here awhile, and understand the problems in the game itself, and have worked your way down to a low avg, then complain!! Keep playing, and get better. Then you can have a low avg as well!

We need a back nine, worse than keeping track of players quitting games.

• average
    11 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2009 7:56 AM

can anyone fix the lag.that is the biggest excuse i hear in multiplayer in wich i also experience.im one who doesnt really care about it, but i rarely get an opponent to finish even 5 holes...can anyone blame them?

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2009 10:25 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. We do have plans to add a multiplayer rounds completed statistic in a future release. We don't currently have plans to make it optional for multiplayer rounds to count towards your overall average.

• Spike_Marx
    5 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2009 10:30 AM

Claremoreblue, I guess I'll have to count your response as a "NO" vote...

Let me make it clear that I am not complaining. From my personal experience, and from other Forum threads that I have read, I can see that this is an issue that concerns both players and WGT administrators. I'll take the liberty of quoting "WGTadmin" from another thread "Re: Stop the A's from ruining the game", which addresses the same topic:

"We understand this is an issue and are looking for solutions to discourage this behavior. Thanks"

In is in the spirit of "looking for solutions" that I am making this suggestion.

I would estimate that half of the players I am competing with don't complete their round(s). Some will even tell me " I've gotta bail... I need to protect my average". Perhaps I haven't been here long enough to understand the importance and advantages of establishing and maintaining an artificially low Stroke Average. When all of my playing partners have left I continue to play (perhaps wrongly?) and post my score, good, bad or indifferent. I submit that if there are advantages and benefits to be earned by quitting before completing a round then it is the WGT format that is rewarding "bad" behavior and needs adjusting.

In the mean time, this tool would aid in flagging those golfers who are "working" the system; and I really can't see why any other golfer would object to having those statistics displayed.

It would also serve as a tool for weighing the legitimacy of a player's Stroke Average.

For what it's worth 

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2009 11:45 AM

I'm really not seeing the big deal with this. Ok, other than the fact people bail on you in a multiplayer game. Simple solution to that is to not play with them again and/or get a few people that like playing the whole nine. There is no real advantage to having a low average. You can shoot for the top ten, but really what does that do for you? If WGT starts giving perks and/or prizes for a low average then sure some policing of it would be necessary. Most everyone I play with plays thru 9. Sure alot of the times we don't putt out, but that the nature of multiplayer. Meaning by myself I normally always shoot better scores.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2009 12:23 PM

I agree with viz on this one.  I play multiplayer for fun and shooting the bs with my buddies, not for score.  I can't play multiplayer for score period because it's choppy and lag ridden.  The swing meter bumps along often skipping anywhere from centimeters to half-inches at a time.  Putts jump 6 feet forward at a time, skipping frames like crazy so I don't get to see how the ball is actually rolling on the green.  

In single player my swing meter is almost always as smooth as butter.  The choppiness doesn't exist and at least 95% of my shots are struck precisely on the white line or within a millimeter of it.  My single player scores are way better as a result of the smooth game play. 

"Lag" and "frame loss" are not a part of golf nor are they an intended obstacle within the game. My scoring average should not be artificially inflated by those unintended elements.

How are we supposed to beta test this thing if we can't whack it off the fairway on purpose to find problems?  You mean I'm supposed to card that +41?  That's not a particularly legitimate score for me.

I can understand and appreciate what the OP's author is asking for but, this just cannot be instituted until either an unranked multiplay option exists or the game is out of beta testing phase and multiplayer lag is gone.

• mwb5010
    33 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2009 12:32 PM

I agree with nivlac, unless we are able to store components of the game on our computer ppl arent going to want to play meaningful rounds in a multiplayer atmosphere, as its nowhere near the consistency of the single player, and even that depends on your internet speed.  my work connection is much faster, and I get truer and smoother swing meter results.

• Mainiack
    79 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2009 1:23 PM

i concur and as there is no payoff for low average quitting should be penalized.

***edit***

just completed 9 holes with a player who has quit on me 3 previous times, he asked as we approached the 9th green if i wanted to play 9 more , i said no thanks i don't wanna push my luck since you quit on me the last 2 times we played.  goldenglove said, "it's all about the average my man"  i said, "average means nothing"  which obviously offended him because he disconnected before my final putt yet after his final putt, so it contributed to his average but sent me a message, i'm presuming....anyhow he shot -2 i shot +1. ..   tell me what the the average means? what is the payscale? i admit i havent played any tourneys lately and when i did it was only because i couldn't get a multiplayer game at the time. so the only time i play single is after my opponents quit. i can't understand this attitude about the average.. i'm very interested in this false average business, there has got to be some payoff, why else would quitting be so popular? my list has grown to 108 names i have 2 with 5 quits each, topnotch sh**heads , ,   very important this average, the opponent im referring to today still has only 3 quits since he completed his round today

• Noodon
    56 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2009 2:23 PM

I think the reality of this whole topic is the significance of this game and it's relevance to actual golf. You should never be allowed to quit, ever, bad connection...to bad...not enough time...to bad....poor score...to bad....I makes the game only fair for guys that spend 8 hours a day playing 100's of rounds and keeping only the good ones, they keep quitting so as not to hurt their "average". Well anyone can do that....anyone!!!!! I won the Jan skills challenge because I spent 3 sick days, I was actually sick, I must have played 1000 rounds and see like anyone I got the lucky one. Seems to me that if you are going to be a top player then you should be able to prove that with every game you play, not only the ones you want to count.

My suggestion, format the game so you can never quit a round. You can save it, but you can’t restart another round until you have finished you current round in match play, ranked play, tournament play, skills challenge or any of the games in WGT.

Make the average real, I mean real, not kind of real with the 100/24 stats, your average is your average and that's it. I think this will make the game much more fair to all players, invite more players to join and shift the ranking around a bit more like.....ready....like real golf. It would be interesting to see what the media would say about Tiger, or Phil or Vijay walking away from a tournament because they were not playing well.

RSS