Help › Forums

Turned Pro too soon?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:25 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Sun, Feb 14 2010 6:33 PM

Hello, first post here.  Is it normal to reach the pro tier after only a few rounds of amateur status?  I was having a great time playing as an amateur, and had only broken par two times, generally shooting right at even par.  I was confident and comfortable, and loving the game.  After only ten or eleven rounds of shooting amateur, I suddenly jumped to Pro.  Now I am lost, and have lost my ability it seems.  I am having trouble adjusting to the green speeds, longer tees, and wind.  I now can't seem to do much better than 4-6 over.  Is this normal?  I will certainly keep at it, but am feeling a bit sub-standard to have the "Pro" moniker.  There is no way in hell I could ever compete in a tournament with the scores I see most Pros post.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:54 PM

Does not seem to be too much friendly help here for a new member.  I know the first couple of sentences in my post seem arrogant, but if you take the time to read the post in it's entirety, you will see that I am struggling, and asking a serious question.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 10:10 AM

Hey GC1... 

I have taken a look at your message and your stats.  You seem to be doing just fine.  Your first ranked round as a hack was 37 and your last ranked round as a pro was 37.  Right on the money, even though you've moved back in tees you're still hovering around par.

IMHO, playing all of those CTTH's in the beginning has helped your game tremendously.  There are people who have been here much longer than you have who's averages are higher than yours.

In other words, you're doing fine.

Remember, you only have 35 ranked rounds.  You should really start to worry if you're still having difficulty after 100 or more.  There is a learning curve here that you seem to be following just right.  Post all your scores and you'll move up when you have the skills and experience to do so.  Some ppl can make Master in a matter of weeks.... some of us continue to struggle a year down the line.

Hope that tries to answer your questions.  We are a friendly bunch most of the time, it just may take a day or two for someone to respond.

Peace.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 10:22 AM

I agree with Snaike, you're doing just fine for someone with the amount of ranked rounds you have.

There is a big learning curve, particularly moving from amateur to pro and then pro to master.   It'll take time as you learn the new distances, angles, and putting speeds.

The nice thing about this game is that it takes time and effort to become good in this game.   Rare is the person who can join up, and become good in this game in a matter of weeks.   It usually takes months, and hundreds of rounds to become competitive in this game.

For now, don't worry about what other people are shooting, just work on your game.

• theAK
    3 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 11:12 AM

No one so far has mentioned that if your willing to shell out some $$ for credits for equipment, your game will also improve.... which kinda sucks for me. Now 25 or so rounds in and I doubt I will ever buy credits. So kinda pointless to spend months playing perfecting your game with intent to pursue a tournament knowing you will never match up to other players who have spent money upgrading equipment. So that leaves me just wasting time playing wgt for the fun of it.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 11:24 AM

The OP already has upgraded equipment, so that doesn't apply to him.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 11:37 AM

theAK:
    So kinda pointless to spend months playing perfecting your game with intent to pursue a tournament knowing you will never match up to other players who have spent money upgrading equipment.

You're right.  Pointless.  If the only reason you're here is to win tournaments then you are missing the boat completely.

Playing WGT for the fun of it is exactly what it's about.  If you're here because you're hyper-competitive and have to win everything, I would suggest two things.... (a) another game, and (b) therapy.

Have a nice day.

• oldassbob
    8 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 12:04 PM

Ok ive spent the money and played a lot almost every day and i just seem not get any better. Ive tryed the balls new putters and so on. Iam ready to quit this and go to EA, na .

Got any pointers, heres what i see. Green aerows point up does that mean the green goes down? cuz doesent matter how soft i hit the ball it goes accross the green, Hole 6 beth 2nd shot goes 85 yad no matter what i hit. 3w says 205 and what do ya know it went 100 yds. I need help before i quit. Or put me back to hack.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 4:20 PM

Hi Bob.  Its about the basics.  Even something as simple as buying equipment takes knowledge of club and ball specifications in order to compliment your game...otherwise it can be a big waste of money.  Your question about green arrows indicates you could benefit from the Getting Started and FAQ's information over there------>.  The Video Tutorials as well as Tips, from our more experienced players, is also useful.

As to your question, the aiming triangle (arrows) on the green point up for an up hill putt and points down for a down hill putt.  When putting, pay close attention to the grid and movement balls as well as green speed.  Always keep in mind that a putt breaking below the hole will never go in.  You can practice hitting shots and putting by playing practice games...you can get 10 or 11 strokes on each hole if you don't sink the putt right away.  

Joey    

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 4:33 PM

I turned hack too fast

i know the feeling

• PAGES
RSS