Forums

Help › Forums

Monitor - Bigger = easier?

Fri, Feb 5 2010 4:55 PM (39 replies)
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 3:16 PM

I'm just wondering the effect of having a bigger meter, since I am playing on a tiny little 14 inch laptop I figure my meter is much smaller making it even harder to hit the ding.

Its not going any faster but maybe the effect is the same when it is so small?

Any comments appreciated on this.  I am only dinging the meter 10 - 20% of the time with the bluddy starter clubs and from what I have seen, 50% is common so maybe the small screen is killing me. 

TIA

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 3:41 PM

Learn to use the miss to your advantage it can help you aim

Get a pc with a mouse laptops are no good for gaming

I never hit the ding i deliberately miss to help draw or fade the shot a must have skill whe you become a master as the tee shots require this

hit em long chippy

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 4:06 PM

Yes, a bigger screen definitely helps. I play this game in full-screen on a 24-inch monitor or on a 46-inch TV screen, and hitting the mark is a lot more comfortable compared to the era (only 9 months ago or so) when this game offered no full-screen at all!

You don't need a desktop PC to play this game, a notebook will do. I use a wireless laser mouse connected via USB, and it's great. I have a 3+-year-old notebook with "only" 1GB of RAM but don't have any significant gameplay issues.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 4:18 PM

Thanks Faterson. 

I guess I should try to hook up to my 62" DLP, imagine the size of the meter! 

I do have a mouse now with no lag so that is not the issue at all, just that on such a small 14 inch screen I'll bet it is harder to ding the meter than on a 24" screen. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 6:16 PM

This is information of value. My screen is down to black and white only, no color. I tried playing on my tiny 10 inch Apple laptop with mouse, but it was, for me, impossible. The BandW is good practice, but putting without color is a new dimension in difficulty that has my scores waxing. I am shopping, but have more confidence in the advice given here than that given to me by a salesman. Anymore input would be appreciated. 

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 6:28 PM

I never hit the ding i deliberately miss to help draw or fade the shot a must have skill whe you become a master as the tee shots require this

I never look for anything but a ding on the meter, I have never deliberately missed for a specific angle, draw or fade. Not sure where or why a master tee would require this mishitting skill.

The meter does appear to big bigger in the larger screen but I prefer to use the smaller screen. Try them all and experiment with different stuations and use what works best for your set up. Goodluck and enjoy! :))

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 6:46 PM

SweetiePie, I just wouldn't buy anything smaller than a 24-inch monitor; they're so ridiculously cheap nowadays. I've been using Samsung monitors for years, and here's one I wouldn't hesitate to buy right away if I needed a new monitor. It only costs around €240 here:

Samsung 2494HM

A thing like this would have cost four or five times as much not so long ago; people with 20-inch monitors used to be kings. I'm waiting for the next step: 30-inch monitors, but those are still too expensive for the normal person nowadays.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 7:28 PM
    On the other hand, I play on a powerful HP laptop, 14". Perfect for the coffee shop or favorite lounge with wi-fi. The small size works great at the small tables in the coffee shop and equally well in the crowded bar space between two other imbibers. I just need to be careful of vocal outbursts when I knock it stiff on Kiawah #17 or make a par on Bethpage #15.
  • broy22
    24 Posts
    Sun, Jan 31 2010 8:59 AM

i play on a 15.5 " gateway laptop and have no problem hitting the ding say 40-60% of the time.  so for me smaller works just fine.

broy22

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sun, Jan 31 2010 10:15 AM

broy22:

i play on a 15.5 " gateway laptop and have no problem hitting the ding say 40-60% of the time.  so for me smaller works just fine.

broy22

I really must be missing something, I was kind of hoping it had to do with monitor size but if you can ding the meter 50% of the time on a 15" screen , then I am missing something else! 

Thanks for the comment

RSS