Help › Forums

Pro level 3 wood, which one?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 19 2010 7:51 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:12 PM

SweetiePie... assigning this to my "Must Try" list.

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 1:04 PM

Jay...I still use my Pro V2 Rapture 3wood, rated at 230yds. It's kinda like my old 3wood I keep in my bag (real golf)...it's an old MasterGrip 16 degree 3 wood adjusted to a 14 degree. I can hit it all day long, straight as a stick, and stop it when I need to. Some clubs just feel right...to me, the Rapture 3w Pro V2 is one of them.

To those not using the 3 wood punch from the rough....you're missing a really useful tool, especially on BPB.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 1:16 PM

Sorry about that jayjonbeach, I only have the TM burner 3W, so I can`t truly compare. It`s fine as far as it goes but I switched to Ping drivers and HBs before trying the Ping 3W. I did this because I didn`t have very good results with the TM pro driver, spraying the ball all over...ugly! I have had much better success with the Pings personally.

I did go out and try my HBs and old pro TM 3W on BB #1 driving into the left rough. Getting out of the 30-40% with full and punch was A LOT easier and Longer with the HBs...period. I even overcooked several into the 60-70%. The results were that the HBs could get out in both full and punch (punch was 30% better than full) and also the HBs got 30% more distance than the 3W in punch(3W doesn`t work in full), reaching the green.THAT`S  why I use the HB rather than 3W.

I understand your reason for the 3W and can only say that, if your already sold on the Ping driver, go with the Ping 3W for the same reasons. This is the exact reason I`ve posted before about "gifting" used clubs. I`d give you both the TM driver and 3W if it was an option and I`d never miss them....although you`d probably not thank me for them,lol.

Of coarse now Doublemochaman has me thinking about a 3W for Kiawah because the rough there isn`t as much of an issue for me as BB is. Oh well.

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 6:23 PM
    jayjon, with what's in your bag, you are used to the slower meter. Spend the extra buck 35 and get the Rapture Pro 3W. It'll save you the hassle, for the time being, of having to hit one fast meter club when the rest of your clubs are slow. That, of course, is secondary to the question of whether 3W is the right club for you to upgrade. But I won't go there, since you seem set on it. A lot of Masters have the Rapture Pro 3W (and irons) in their bag. They're great clubs. You can worry about fast meter Master clubs later, if at all.
  • jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 7:47 PM

I f you can ding the meter with reasonable consistency, go for the precision over forgiveness.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 7:51 PM

Thanks again everyone. 

Three spot I did consider this actually BUT I think I will like the faster meter better anyway!  

I have seen many people with itchy trigger fingers say this too and this is what happens to me as well, pulling the ball more often than not. 

Your right though, I have seen Masters with the old rapture in their bag still.

I also plan to buy the TaylorMade Z-Satin TP Pro 64, TaylorMade Z-Satin TP Pro 52° and the Redwoon putter right away (as soon as the update comes and I know what other clubs are available), these 2 clubs have a 5 speed already (putter is 3) so I just have to get use to it anyway! 

I know I would be better off with a driver now but here is what I am going to do: 

Right now at Pro Tier, buy a 3 wood, redwood putter and 2 wedges.  This will lower my score massively and most clubs wont needed upgrading, only the 3 wood which is 240 credits.

Once I hit Master, the TM R9 Master driver, Ping G10 Master 3 wood and the Ping Master G10 irons.  Also to round it all out, one last wedge, PING Tour W Pro 60°(which I could just buy now too) 

I've gone over all this and the distances match up nicely and I see from the low score shooters these are all highly recommended clubs. 

• PAGES
RSS