Help › Forums

Pro level 3 wood, which one?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 19 2010 7:51 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 10:49 AM

I'm gonna pull the trigger on a 3 wood very soon.   I dont think I will go rapture since the meter speed wont match anything I am planning to have in the future.

Not sure if they will add another tasty 3 wood to the shop, lets assume not for now. 

It seems a toss up between PING G10 Pro 3W or the TaylorMade Tour Burner 3W. 

Same yardage stated, same everything even cost except precision better on Ping, Forgiveness better on TM. 

I will buy the Master level Ping once I make that tier (I hear the extra height comes in real handy) so this club is mostly temporary.  Because I will have the Master Ping in the future, I am leaning towards the TM right now as maybe I'll still keep it around after upgrading. 

TIA for any help on this one. 

(note that I would much rather buy a driver and know it would help much more but I cant fathom spending 9 bucks only to upgrade the club anyway in near future, 3W is much cheaper and will help reach some of those par 5's)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:12 AM

I say ask yourself 1 question-how often, and on how many holes do you use either one-the HB or the 3W? When you realize 1 long fairway club is all you really need you free up a slot for another wedge, something you will benefit from way more. 

Master clubs with longer irons pair up quite nicely with the R9 driver and let you fool around with carrying 4 wedges, which I do quite often, especially at KIA. I realize you can't get those yet but it sounds like you're planning long term. JMO.

btw-my Taylor 3W collects dust because the HB does so well.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:42 AM

YJ - Oh yeah, I made that decision long ago, either the 3W or the hybrid is going out the door for the 3rd wedge.

I figure it is the hybrid, 3W gives the extra distance I will need.

I know I will upgrade the 3W in future but I think I still need a Pro version for now, that extra 20 yards is much needed!

Note that once Master I will buy the TaylorMade R9 TP Master driver (unless new clubs in the next week offer something more) and like I mentioned the PING G10 Master 3W.   I will also buy the PING G10 Master iron set of course which with the 3 wedges, rounds out the whole set and covers all the possible distances. 

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:42 AM

I agree YJ, of coarse everyone sets up their clubs differently to suit their game. This is the deciding factor...how do You play the game and which club set-up will benefit this the most?

I have a pro 3w somewhere in my bag that I used for a couple weeks until I realized that a good HB would be better for me and free up space for an extra wedge. I came to this decision because my driving sucks and a 3w is useless out of the rough while a HB gets a lot more yardage than an iron out of the rough and even if I can`t reach the green, I then have a good wedge to throw darts with. I still use this set-up with the master driver and master HB  while I still have my Pro G10s. This works for me. Just my two cents.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:55 AM
    Interesting thought Mefitz on the hybrid out of the rough thanks
  • mefitz
    372 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:58 AM

Always happy to add confusion to the decision process, lol. GL

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:02 PM

I haul a 3 wood onto Kiawah (to reach #11 in 2) and a hybrid onto Bethpage Black to get the hell outta the rough.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:04 PM

You may want to give the 3 wood a chance out of the rough in punch mode. In the 30-40 rough, it works like a charm for me. The ball comes out very hot, arrow straight and sneaky long.

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:08 PM

In MHO dont get either as jim will agree i think lol, a master driver like the R9 together with master irons is all you need .BTW i have not checked where you are at with your game so this will probably be for future reference.The game is won or lost on your short irons and putting.Unless you know you can land that three wood on the green and stop the ball for an eagle on par5's (check stats it isnt that often).stick the extra wedges in, reduce the gaps in the short game and go for a bird on every hole,-18 WOW i dont think this has been done yet. Hope this helps ive just made master teir and have wasted a lot of money on clubs,IMO this would be the approach i think works best.

Again im not sure on your game its just a thought

good luck chippy

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:11 PM

Yes I have had more luck in punch mode out of the rough, in fact its the only way I hit out of there now after some duffs with full swing with different clubs.

So, so far, no one has given an opinion on those two PRO level 3 woods!  LOL

I think its only 2 bucks or 2 1/2 and I need that extra 20 yards believe me.  :)   

I would love to buy a driver instead but see my other posts on why I want to wait for that.

Thanks for the help so far.    

• PAGES
RSS