Forums

Help › Forums

Wk 2 multiround 2nd round;

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jan 9 2010 6:25 AM (7 replies)
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 7:55 PM

Twice so far in this round I have had this come up. Last time was on the 11th hole after teeing off.

Could I please get an answer from WGT.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 8:53 PM

Out of curiosity, do you run a 64-bit OS?

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 10:08 PM

Run a 32 bit O/S.  The only change I made today was the new adobe flash player beta, version 2.  I reinstalled version 1.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 1:03 AM

Since i reinstalled adobe flash beta version 1, I have not had any of those yield signs in the middle of the rounds.  Perhaps WGT may want to look at the current beta version.

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 1:54 AM

Beta is beta - it may (and usualy does) contain bugs. If a company releases a beta version of a software to a customer, then the customer, among others, acts as a box tester. Bugs in software are inevitable, and beta will contain more of them than the official release. I am afraid WGT hasn't really got anything to do with it, since Flash Player is a 3rd party component. If anyone decides to use a beta version of any piece of software, then he ackowledges that he may be exposed to bugs, and I do say it as a professional software engineer.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 2:26 AM

WGT uses adobe flash player.  They need to be aware of any upcoming issues that could affect their product.  Since SDK is highly dependent on third party plugins.  I have had no issues with beta version 1.  As you see in other posts other players have seen the same thing.

Integration of various platforms, and plugins to ensure smooth game play is the responsibility of the software developer. They need know of any issues. 

WGT wants to establish a niche market where their product is unique.  (My opinion)  Hence, reporting bugs is necessary.

Secondly, version 1 has a dramatic decrease in CPU load, which in my opinion is a step in the right direction.  Please check other posts for version 1 and results of CPU load versus the old adobe flash version (non beta).

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 3:35 AM

Infinito3010:
    They need to be aware of any upcoming issues that could affect their product.

I am sure they should, but I don't know whether from a software development process point of vew they should care about bugs in a version which is not even a release candidate. I think we can safely assume, that Adobe being a responsible player in the IT market will not release another official Flash Player version which will have bugs you've observed in the 10.2 beta. Attaching a list of know issues to a ship accepted and released product is a good practice in major software development companies, so I guess WGT will get their hands on those with the next official release by Adobe. Also, Adobe must have developed its own properly designed and mature quality assurance process which will catch this bug, if it hasn't done it already.

Anyway, beta is for testing, not for a production. As for the observed warning, do we know that it was issued by the Flash Player itself or by the WGT game ?

Infinito3010:
    version 1 has a dramatic decrease in CPU load, which in my opinion is a step in the right direction.

Yes, I've seen those numbers. I've observed that even with an upgrade within 10.0.x.y versions. I will wait for 10.1 or 10.2 release until they are official. Anyway, they are not even in the portage tree of my linux distro.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 6:25 AM

Usually something that is beta is a prelude to final product release.  The shelf life of a beta product is usually short.

And yes, any software developer should be curious about bugs and/or new functionality as it could have an impact on ones product.  Thus, keeping aware of any potential issues is a must, so they can be looking at product improvements to eliminate there own bugs. 

Predictive and preventative measures can only be undertaken if one is aware of the pitfalls and issues. 

Thus quality assurance, hence improvement can only be maintain if you are aware of any deficiencies in ones own product, and the potential issues that may impact your product either it be the browser, and or its plug ins.

RSS