Forums

Help › Forums

Posting in forum, text "wraps" into one big paragraph

Fri, Jan 8 2010 2:29 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 12:30 PM

Instead of leaving spaces where you put them in the actual post, once you hit "post" the spaces disappear and it turns into one big messy papragraph. 

Happens 9 times out of 10 for me, then I have to go back and edit the post to put the spaces back in. 

Every once inawhile it actually posts the spaces between paragraphs correctly. 

Note that this also happens to me when sending a friend a message on here as well.

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 1:04 PM

Have you tried different browsers ? The editor employed in this forum is using JavaScript, which is executed on the client side, that is on your computer, and is browser-dependent. I presume than once the editor sends the post to the server its contents is being handled just as everyone else's, and at least for me I haven't observed anything like what you described. Anyway, if you are using IE, or some older version of other browsers (Firefox, Opera, Chrome) you might try installing new one or upgrade existing one.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 1:07 PM

Are you sure?

Your whole message is one big paragraph. Or did you type it that way on purpose?

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 1:51 PM

jayjonbeach:

Are you sure?

Your whole message is one big paragraph. Or did you type it that way on purpose?

I am reading it with all spaces and punctuation. If you see it differently, then it would support that something wrong is with your browser :(

This is what I'm seeing (Firefox 3.5.6):

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 4:50 PM

jayjonbeach:

Are you sure?

He did. He typed it that way on purpose. He just didn't include the line feeds you're asking about. I think that's what they're called. Here. I'll hit <enter> here

See? It jumped a space, advanced a "line feed", and started a new paragraph.

I asked the same question the other day:

Sometimes... not this time however...  when writing a NEW MESSAGE (starting new thread)... there is no B, I, U, etc... toolbar (^^^^ up there^^^^) available, to use in the construction of the post. Furthermore, after clicking the POST button, the post loses all the line feeds (breaks between lines of text).

I found that clicking the "quote" button works as a workaround. I do this if the B,I, U, abc toolbar isn't shown. After clicking it once to bring-up the toolbar, you may have to click "quote" again, if you want to include the text from the previous post.

Just position your cursor in your work area, then click "quote", and the text will be transferred to your post, with html "quote" things (i forget what they're called - somebody help me here).

You'll notice sometimes, when you edit a post, that it reverts to, and shows, every one of these html things (lol), within your original post, and sometimes it doesn't. It's just another shortcoming that this type of forum has, it's not exactly vBulletin, ya'know. But I wish someone would try to address the problem... it'd make things easier for members who use the forums to try to help others. ;)

EDIT: So basically, IF YOU SEE THE TOOLBAR, JUST GO ON NORMALLY AND MAKE YOUR POST.

IF YOU DON'T SEE THE TOOLBAR, CLICK THE "QUOTE" BUTTON. (this will make the toolbar appear)

IF YOU ARE EDITING A POST, AND THERE ARE HTML ARTIFACTS SHOWING IN YOUR POST, CLICK THE "QUOTE" BUTTON. (this will return the post to "normal-looking".) 

It must be a coding problem or something... this workaround works, however.

Good Luck... and Happy Posting!

:^)

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 5:01 PM

WojciechMigda:

jayjonbeach:

Are you sure?

I am reading it with all spaces and punctuation. If you see it differently, then it would support that something wrong is with your browser :(

This is what I'm seeing (Firefox 3.5.6):

Sometimes, "a thousand words" may be 998 too many.

Just...

Click "Quote".

;)

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 6:41 PM

Thanks guys! 

Funny  WojciechMigda, when you posted what you are seeing, I still see the same thing, one big paragraph!  LOL

Well its not that funny but there you have it, even when you tried to show me spaces I still couldnt see it. 

PUGS....U da man!   Thanks for that tip.   I am also missing the "tools" and if clicking the quote button fixes that AND the "wrapping" issue thanks a lot!  

Gonna try it now.....

p.s  Now what about adding smiley faces like I see others doing, dont see that option...

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 6:44 PM

Sweet it works!     I owe ya one

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 7:01 PM

jayjonbeach:
    p.s  Now what about adding smiley faces like I see others doing, dont see that option...

See here. It's a rather roundabout way of doing it in these forums, but there's currently no easier way.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 10:42 PM

Thanks Faterson!

• PAGES
RSS