Forums

Help › Forums

Nine strokes from the mulch did not move the ball an inch

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 8 2010 1:47 PM (4 replies)
  • OmarSharif
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2010 5:14 AM
    Hi - just received an eleven on a par 5 after hitting the ball 9 times from mulch (15-20%) the ball just sat there until the number of strokes exceeded the maximum - very disappointing. Otherwise i enjoy the game very mudh, thank you :-) Thomas
  • RDavidAm
    6 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 5:25 PM
    I've run into the same thing in the mulch on #7 at Kiawah, both beside the green and behind it. Twice I had to just quit as I took 5 or 6 shots with the ball not advancing an inch. Tried chipping, pitching, flopping and punching. Only one time did I get out, from beside the green with a punch shot. Makes the game unplayable. If I got in there again, I'd just quit on the spot. Can the game come up with a penalty stroke for a drop? I'd just do that if it was available.
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 1:08 PM

Apparently, and this is hearsay as I have not found myself in mulch, there is a way out if you use the Punch shot.

There are a few threads on the subject.  Try "Mulch" in the search box and take a look at what others are reporting.

Ciao!

• RDavidAm
    6 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 1:43 PM
    Thanks Snaike, I did get out once with a punch, and didn't get out with it one other time. The answer is don't hit it in there, which I've done 3 times. I think the mulch is missing a % lie factor,k like the various levels of rough. Too bad, like in the TW game, etc, you can take a penalty drop if needed.
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 1:47 PM

RDavidAm:
    Tried chipping, pitching, flopping and punching.

You guys tried everything except a full shot. I landed in the mulch yesterday on hole 3 at Kiawah with an over cooked tee shot with about 125 yards or less coming in. I used an iron with a 140 yard max distance and hit it with about 92% strength with full backspin, and landed within 4 feet of the hole. The trick is to play more strength on the club, or club-up when hitting out of surfaces other than the fairway.

Snaike is right. If you have less than 100 yards to the pin, the punch shot is the ideal play for landing the ball within 3 or 4 feet from the pin. Using backspin depends on the elevation of the green.

This works for me.

GL

RSS