Forums

Help › Forums

Standard Speed is NOT Standard Speed.

Wed, Jan 6 2010 12:01 PM (5 replies)
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 1:12 PM

It's Slow speed now.  It's been confirmed many times by hitting a 30 ft putt on a level surface with the 30ft scale of the Redwood and the putt travels 28 ft every time. On the old greens, a 30 ft putt hit 30 ft went 30 ft.  It goes 28ft on Slow greens.

Also, there is a marked change in the power required for putts less than 5ft., 5-10ft, 10-30ft.  Any putt under 5 ft you can hit with the same power regardless of green speed and the ball travels nearly the same distance.  On putts 5-10 ft putts on Standard greens, the speed is too fast.  All putts less than 10 feet require less power than the distance stated.   You'll notice the ball racing to the hole if you hit it the stated distance.  Once you get beyond 10ft however, the inverse is true:  the greens become too slow.   All putts greater than 10ft require more power than the distance stated.  You'll notice putts dying just before the hole and coming up short if you hit the stated distance.

I'm not sure what happened when more green speeds were added, but what you call Standard now definitely does not have the same ball-to-surface interactions as it used to.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 2:13 PM

We will look into this and see if there are any issues with the green indicator.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 10:32 PM

Hi Tibbets,

I have posted two or three posts on the green speed changes since the last upgrade and have had little, sorry NO, acknowledgement from WGT that there is any problem kind of a problem.

I do agree totally with you though - something has changed. 

Good to see WGT at least take notice of you :-)

Happy & Safe New Year to you.

Cheers Doug

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 11:32 PM

Yeah things have changed with the addition of new speeds.

When there was just 1 speed, power was determined on a very linear scale.

A 10 ft. putt, no elevation, you'd hit it about 12 ft. (to be firm)

20 ft., no elevation = 22

20 ft., 2 in. downhill = 20.

20 ft., 2 in. uphill = 24.

100 ft., 2 ft. downhill, = about 75 or so.

Then "Fast" came, and people flipped for a few days, it was no longer linear. Any thing uphill or downhill became a lot trickier. Power was suddenly determined on more of a logarithmic scale. i.e.

10 ft., no elevation = 10

20 ft, no elevation = 18~19

30 ft, no elevation = 26~27

40 ft, no elevation = 34~35

50 ft, no elevation = 42~43

100 ft, no elevation = 77.7676ish

(these numbers are just relative guesses really, I go more by feel)

The longer the putt the faster it plays, especially downhill.

You all know this, of course, or have your way of figuring it out, I'm just using it as an illustration here.

Because "Standard" isn't a practice option (now that's gotta be a bug!) I can't really test this postulate, but the new "standard" seems to be slightly logarithmic in scale, as opposed to completely linear like it used to be. But unlike the faster speeds, you have to hit it a little harder for longer putts. So your 10 footer is still 12 ft. (to be firm) but your 50 footer is 55~56 feet - behaving more like a SLOW green. And SLOW is now even SLOWer

Just a theory though, and roughly matches tibbets post here.

Why it changed I'm not sure. Is it a BUG? debatable.

WGT certainly isn't going come out and say the 'Standard' is Log base x and 'Fast' is Log base y - cause some hacker would fashion some virtual abacus and try and sell it for $10.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:35 AM

I can confirm that with the last update, we made a minor adjustment where the Standard green speed performs more like the old "Slow". Also, as intended the longer the putt the more effect the green speed has on the ball.

The green speed adjustment was unintentionally omitted from the release blog. Thanks for the catch.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 12:01 PM

Thanks for looking into it. :)

RSS