rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 1 2010 9:17 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 8:21 AM

AtlantaCoaster:
    I would be careful of assuming

Thats exactly what I did no need to assume anything.I shot just that 9 frt.KW and made master .I shot 5 or 6 under for about 10 or 12 rounds and wa la. An instant master.

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 8:40 AM

Right.  Just shoot your best game and learn to shoot it with some consistency and the averages come down as if by magic.

WGT is not set up to reward only the "player's best scores" as some other "games' (most other games) are geared towards - so it requires a bit of a shift in thinking.

This is the reason there is an AVERAGE of scores used.  WGT looks for CONSISTENCY not the one lucky low-scoring round.  ALSO - people should generally NOT be concerned that one or two bad scores will mess up their average - WGT does not even count your 4 worst scores of the most recent rounds - so I always recommend players stick with those rounds anyway and learn to get themselves out of the trouble - which comes in handy in future rounds and guess what?  Results in lower scores and averages.

Happy new Year, AtlantaCoaster

• onestonemanone
    45 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 9:30 AM
    thanks everyone this was just the information i was looking for. gr8 help again ty
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 10:55 AM

AtlantaCoaster:
    From a practical standpoint, if you can really only play one set of 9 holes REALLY well and the rest not so much - have you actually qualified for the Tier promotion?

I can say I fall under this category and was wondering if anyone would point it out. I can NOT play Bethpage back nine at all. I never could, through any tier. Like you say AC, the frustration is overwhelming. This is why I don't play competitively. I feel it's unfair to a competitor and myself. I don't want to set myself up for a loss every time I tee of with someone. The back nine at kiawah is my favorite and was the nine holes that put me over the top to master. While I do like and play the front nine at Kiawah pretty favorably, I do like Bethpage front nine as well. 

I'll reiterate from earlier, I'm going to have to keep playing and noting the courses playability and then the Bethpage back nine frustrations will be a thing of the past. It's going to take time. I hope sooner than later.

Play well in 2010.

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 11:17 AM

Bethpage Back 9 is very challenging for many players.

FOR A LONG TIME for ME it was that same way.  Suddenly at some point it started to "click" for me.  I started to "get it and understand it.  Also importantly I learned not to fear it.  It just sort of happened through ALOT of Practice.

Here is what Bethpage Back 9 USED TO look like for me compared with what it i for me now.

THEN                                                              NOW

10 - PAR or BOGEY                                        10 - BIRDIE or PAR

11 - PAR or BOGEY                                        11 - BIRDIE or PAR

12 - PAR or BOGEY                                        12 - PAR

13 - BIRDIE or PAR                                        13 - BIRDIE or PAR

14 - BIRDIE or PAR                                        14 - BIRDIE or PAR

15 - BOGEY or DOUBLE BOGEY                  15 - PAR

16 - BOGEY                                                  16 - PAR

17 - PAR                                                       17 - BIRDIE or PAR

18 - PAR or BOGEY                                       18 - BIRDIE or PAR

I felt LUCKY to escape it with a 36 or 37 and the rare PAR 35 was a valuable possession.  I just kept at it practicing and learning and my scores improved.  I would say that NOW for me it is common to shoot a 33 or 34 with the occasional 31 or 32.

NOTE that the word BOGEY has left my NOW listing.  Instructive is that I no longer Fear 15 either - but I do respect it.  LOL

Keep at it and it will "click" for you also.

Maybe you and I go play it together? Set it up  Invite me if available.  If I do not reply I am probably away from my computer.

Regards, AtlantaCoaster

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 11:48 AM

Thanks AC for the illustration. I will say, I fall under the "then" category you've displayed, and to the tee (no pun intended). But yeah, I'm going to keep at it AC. Keep in mind I've only been a member for 41/2 months. 

By this time next year I should be in good shape.

Best Wishes in 2010.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 5:58 PM

i just want to say buckeyes kicked ass, and you guys think about this game way to much. it's a game enjoy it yes everyone plays kia. is. back 9 better than anywhere else, why because it's easy. the back 9 on beth is really not that hard if you can keep the damage on #15 to a bogey, but if you just play where you score low your not helping the overall scope of your game. happy new year all thx JB

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 9:17 PM

Right on jb.

• PAGES
RSS